Author Topic: Scottie's MkII Gti  (Read 8019 times)

Offline ScottieG

• Not said much yet
Re: Scottie's MkII Gti
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2011, 14:03 »
Cheers yeah it did clean up well, only problem is I've now spotted a few more small dents  :cry: It probably could do with a complete repray as well, there certainly is 21 years worth of stone chips.

The interior was also filthy when I got it but that came out pretty good too  :cool:

Also got rid of the de-badged grill, looks a lot better with the standard one IMO.

« Last Edit: 26 April 2011, 14:07 by ScottieG »
Steady as she goes

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2011, 20:25 »
Looks good - so much better with a proper grille on it  :smiley:

Just seen your location, not too far from me.

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2011, 21:48 »
Why is half of your ashtray missing Scott? Never noticed before!

Offline ScottieG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2011, 22:17 »
Looks good - so much better with a proper grille on it  :smiley:

Just seen your location, not too far from me.

Cheers matey, yeah the old grille was quite a bodge  :rolleyes: looked ok until I saw the back of it.
Why is half of your ashtray missing Scott? Never noticed before!

And I'm guessing its because someone wanted access to the cigarette lighter without having the ashtray open, its quite handy like that for plugging my phone in though.
Steady as she goes

Offline ScottieG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2011, 12:34 »
:cry: Unfortunately I had a bit of an accident involving being blinded by an oncoming cars headlights, a sharp very slippery corner and a bush on Saturday night  :cry: I tried everything I could to get it around the corner but there was just no grip at all so I braced myself for impact! Pretty annoyed as this was my first crash  :cry:

But It looks like the chassis is still straight so It will be repaired  :smiley:

Only took out a small bit of shrubbery  :rolleyes:

Offroad recovery experience comes in handy sometimes, shame it was the wrong vehicle to go offroading in  :sad:

Out came the chainsaw to cut down the stump that I was wedged on

Another VW lends a hand

And out she comes

:cry:

Got her home and straight away started to Assess the damage

Looks like the engine tried to escape the engine bay

Just a small dent in the sump

The good news is that I have already found someone breaking a Royal blue GTI so I will be going to collect a load of front end parts next weekend hopefully  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 12:41 by ScottieG »
Steady as she goes

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2011, 12:46 »
Ouch, hope you're alright. Certainly did a proper job on that!  :undecided:

Good luck with the repairs!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2011, 14:00 »
Might be worth getting it checked to see if the chassis is straight, that's had a hard knock.

Offline ScottieG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2011, 14:42 »
Cheers, yeah I'm good thanks, just a minor case of whiplash but all is good.

I'm just going to do the old fashioned plumb bob, mark a few points on the floor and take some measurements trick initially before I spend a load of money on it but I will get a 4wheel alignment check done to be sure when its all fixed if the initial measurements are fine.

The main impact was pretty central and the right hand sides damage is mostly cosmetic so we really don't think it will be far out at all if it is bent, it didn't pull to the side at all while I was being towed so that is always a good sign. Fingers crossed eh! I would just rather save it than see another one broken and sent to the scrappy.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 23:55 by ScottieG »
Steady as she goes

Offline Jord_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2011, 20:29 »
I would just rather save it than see another one broken and sent to the scrappy.

+1, much rather see a mk2 saved, if it was a mk3 that would be another story  :lipsrsealed:

Bloody hell mate, looks a nasty one! Glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully the chassis isn't bent and it doesn't cost too much to repair.

Good luck with the repairs  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #19 on: 01 November 2011, 14:49 »
Damn that looks harsh at first... I think you'll be alright though looking at it... mine took a heavy knock but all the force went to the N/S chassis leg which really messed the car up, both your legs look ok in the pics.

Oh and glad you're OK!