Author Topic: JonL's 8v budget track toy - now going to be a race car! ;-)  (Read 42481 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: New Member and another 8v budget track toy project
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2009, 11:57 »
didnt he sell it because of the terminal rust in the rear arches?  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2009, 12:00 »
No pretty sure that was the monza blue valver he bought afterwards.

nick

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2009, 12:01 »
lol, im trying to wind up the new owner (and failing)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2009, 12:02 »
Doh! I should have lept me mouth shut, ha ha.

nick

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2009, 13:34 »
I thought the fluxuationaldupertransicationalthine capacitor had blown up ?  :huh:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2009, 14:27 »
Buy a sheet of Foamalux for the doorcards.  Light and easy to work.

Get shut of the nasty harnesses - you need either 5-6 point 3" harnesses to go with bucket seats, or 3-point belts + a CG lock for the driver to go with Scirocco seats.  Running 4-point harnesses with OEM seats will hurt a LOT in a crash.  Either fit a heavy duty harness bar to the rear of the car, or put in a proper cage with harness bars if you're fitting harnesses.

Check the bushes on the suspension and replace if suspect.  If you do the front control arms stitch-weld them and fit TT bushes at the back - this will give you really good steering response and feedback.

Good luck with it.  Should be a fun car.  :smiley:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2009, 17:42 »
have you not seen the picture of the popped testicle  :sick: im sticking to 4 point harnesses :grin:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2009, 17:49 »
Think it was beyond popped!

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2009, 18:53 »
Right I have just come back form one of the most interesting meeting ever, NOT, and thought I would reply before heading home.  Firstly I have not yet paid anything, but will be handing over £360 to Jamie tomorrow or possibly Saturday whenever I can fix up an MOT so that I can drive it legally there.  As for the state of the rear arches I would have thought that the sills might have been a better bet as they can rot from the inside out!  Never mind better luck next time.

As for my plans I did, during my meeting, think a lot about plans and have jotted some notes down to share and get feedback on.  Please bear in mind that I want to use this mainly as a Track Day Toy but it will have to drive there and back and may have to get me around in extremis when the wife has the other car.

Firstly it will have to be MOT’ed and that will show up any issues which will form Priority One jobs to get it road legal.  Next I will do a thorough track day preparation, full service, and anything else in order to get out as soon as possible.  I will then book a track day and go enjoy my new toy in its current state, hopefully this month but definitely next, Priority One Jobs not withstanding.  I want to ensure that I get a little instruction on the day as well and if there is someone there who knows what a good GTi should feel like and they can have a play to tell me where to concentrate my efforts that would also be great.  I will then attend to anything that breaks and sit back happy in the knowledge that I have now done the very thing I bought the car for.

Not withstanding anything that crops up from the track day the longer term plan is as follows:

Stage 1 – Brakes

Fit 256mm or 280mm discs dependant on advice or feedback from track day.
Fit hubs and renew wheel bearings from late 16v or G60.
Identify suitable wheels and tyres to suit track day setup.
If normal steels, for road work to and from track, don’t fit over new brakes get another set that do and adjust speedo to reflect new tyre rolling radius.

Stage 2 – Seats/Interior

Remove horrible tight buckets currently fitted.
Fit new buckets, if available for not much money, or ‘rocco, as they seem to be the best alternative.
Identify correct seat belts for seats bought – normal 3 points for ‘rocco or 4 point harnesses with some sort of brace bar if buckets.
Sort ergonomics of cabin – door cards, gauges, steering wheel, binnacle, etc.

Stage 3 – Handling

Source shocks and springs to make best use of handling.
Sort wishbones – seam weld?
Fit new bushes – poly?
Source new ARB’s or refurbish existing.
Sort steering rack, track rods anything else that sits in this area.
Look at roll cage – if costs allow.

Stage 4 – Power

Look at engine transplants. What, from where, why, etc
Look at getting the best out of the existing engine.  Throttle bodies, exhaust, gearbox mods, etc.

These stages are a bit vague and parts availability or finances may mean that I end up doing something’s out of turn.  Any comment gratefully received.

Jon

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2009, 18:56 »
Buy a sheet of Foamalux for the doorcards.  Light and easy to work.

Get shut of the nasty harnesses - you need either 5-6 point 3" harnesses to go with bucket seats, or 3-point belts + a CG lock for the driver to go with Scirocco seats.  Running 4-point harnesses with OEM seats will hurt a LOT in a crash.  Either fit a heavy duty harness bar to the rear of the car, or put in a proper cage with harness bars if you're fitting harnesses.

Check the bushes on the suspension and replace if suspect.  If you do the front control arms stitch-weld them and fit TT bushes at the back - this will give you really good steering response and feedback.

Good luck with it.  Should be a fun car.  :smiley:

Thats sounds like a good idea, where do I get a sheet of Foamalux from?  It dosen't have harnesses fitted at the moment, just those tatty buckets and normal 3 point seatbelts.