Author Topic: JonL's 8v budget track toy - now going to be a race car! ;-)  (Read 42483 times)

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
Well I have just taken the plunge and bought a 1988 Mk2 GTi for a track toy.  It is a good solid shell that two brothers started to strip out for a project but have had to sell.  It looks like a good solid shell and at 177000 miles is well run in!  Comes with nearly stripped interior, some of which I'll have to put back or make from a bit of sheet ali (such as door cards ), strut braces front and rear and nice new(ish) tyres.  The suspension looked clean and it looked a touch lower than stock when I viewed it so I am hopeful that it may have had a sympathetic owner in the past.  The brothers have not done anything mechanical to it other than strip out the heater as it was leaking so I will have to sort all that out when I get my hands on it.  It needs an MOT but that should be arranged for the end of the week and then it will come home to sit on my drive and I can start to get to grips with it. 

The current strategy is to give the engine a good service, filters, belts etc and make sure that everything is is good working order.  That is unless the MOT shows up anything untoward.  I am then looking for some late 16v hubs etc as that seems to be the way to go.  I will have to replace the current seats as they are some sort of old bucket but very narrow in the "hip" area and I was very uncomfortable getting in and out of them.  Rocco would appear to be the way to go from my reading but I am going to use this mainly as a track toy so there may be better options.  Budget is an issue, when is it not, but a slow drip feed of cash will be made available, as long as my better half doesn't ask too many questions,so upgrades are on the cards.

Main effort is to get it road legal and out on a track as soon as possible, hopefully this months or early next!  I will post some pictures as soon as it is on my drive and available.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2011, 09:08 by JonLeeper »

Offline Mew

• I live here

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
Re: New Member and another 8v budget track toy project
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2009, 00:04 »
Bloody hell!  Yes that's it any more info on previous work that's been done or I need to check to see if it's still there?  Also anyone local know where the best place to get something like this MOT'ed?  I will be doing all of the mechanical work myself so just need a local garage to actually perform the MOT and not be looking for a shed load of cash for the privilege.

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2009, 00:06 »
Bloody hell!  Yes that's it any more info

It spits flames when not timed / fueled quite right  :tongue:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2009, 00:16 »
I originally bought it back in January 2006 with a short MOT and tax for £300. By the time i insured it (April) the MOT had run out. It needed a couple of brake line clips and a small patch welding near the fos jacking point iirc. It then proceeded to fly through any MOTs after that. After about a year i had issues with an intermittent misfire around 2.5-3k rpm. A full service inc plugs, leads, etc sorted that. I then had 2 weeks of constant breakdowns, turned out to be the hall sender so i replaced the dizzy (which led to what Chris said  :lipsrsealed:). After the timing was sorted the flames weren't as big :cry:

Just before i bought it, it had new under car fuel lines...........

Actually, it's all here: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32996.0

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2009, 10:08 »
its got my old driveshaft on it  :grin:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2009, 10:17 »
I and I bought it off Mew, ran it for a year and then sold it to Llewelyn on here. I had issues with the oil pressure electics. I had the pressure tested and it was fine but the light kept flashing despite changing the sensor.

My dub rides thread for the period I owned it.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=66964.0

Nick

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2009, 10:29 »
Well it is nice to know that this is a known car, although it does seem to have been a "slag" and gone through a few of the faithful over the years!

Looking quickly through the history I think it starts in Jan 07 when Mew purchases the car with the aim of changing the engine and a lot of other bits.  According to the thread listed it had Koni adjustables and Eibach springs fitted, a supersprint back box and a 22.2mm master cylinder before it was passed to Horney in Sept 07 to continue the good work.

I have found Horneys thread here, http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=66964.0, but have not yet worked through the 38 pages to digest what actually happened to the car during his ownership.  Original plans appears to be much the same as Mews until it was sold to james in Apr 08.  I will try and read through the thread tonight, work blocks the pictures so not easy to follow any thread, and get to grips with what has been done.

From Apr 08 I loose track of her until now, but it may be that James is the same bloke that I am buying it off.

I will await any further news!

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2009, 11:50 »
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2009, 11:56 »
James sold it not long after he bought it from me as he goes through cars like most people go through dinners.

nick