Author Topic: Well boys, is this a 40,000 mile mkII GTI or not?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
Re: Well boys, is this a 40,000 mile mkII GTI or not?
« Reply #20 on: 27 July 2011, 21:11 »
I think the clue is in the fact that it's got a running problem and he can't be 4rsed to sort it out. No tax or MOT likely, non-runner, well worth the £400 in my book.

You'll probably find that the running problem is the reason why it's changed hands so many times and done so few miles. Low mileage cars that appear to be bargains do crop up every now and then. Not all of them are "dodgy". I'd be more concerned if this was on eBay. He's just put it in the equivalent of the local rag - an excellent place to find a genuine bargain.  :smiley:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2011, 23:45 »
Worth a shot at that money tbh. :smiley:

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 28 July 2011, 00:27 »
get the doc ref and do a mileage check on it personally believe its clocked, or very least had a clock change in its early life from vag

seats look good but angle taken hides the wear spots and doesnt show lower bolster.
miss matched steels 1989 G reg would have been early style steel wheels with the black centre, that one has a 1990 spec front wheel and an early spec rear wheel with driver trim.
where is the boot lock surround?
rear arch trim hanging off
no lower front spoiler.
serous laquer peel on the drivers side front wing
rot along the rear panel join.

but go have a look

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2011, 19:58 »
get the doc ref and do a mileage check on it personally believe its clocked, or very least had a clock change in its early life from vag

seats look good but angle taken hides the wear spots and doesnt show lower bolster.
miss matched steels 1989 G reg would have been early style steel wheels with the black centre, that one has a 1990 spec front wheel and an early spec rear wheel with driver trim.
where is the boot lock surround?
rear arch trim hanging off
no lower front spoiler.
serous laquer peel on the drivers side front wing
rot along the rear panel join.

but go have a look

Good observations Rob, but here's what I see in this car, that make me think its a low miles car,

Number alignment on the clocks looks perfect for a car just about to click over to 41k ie, mileage not tampered with (I appreciate that it could have had a speedo head change)
I believe that the front No plate is the original dealer fitted plate, If I zoom in, it appears to have the same livery layout at the bottom of the plate that my car has.
The car still has the OE black textured body side decals running the length of the car (very rare these days! especially on the rear panel, the decals suffered from peel, were the waxoyl coming out of the tailgate drain holes would break down the adhesive.
Original dealer Decal still in the rear window!
Bumpers front and rear, are arrow straight, and both faded the same amount, pointing to be the originals, that have seen no action!
No plate mounting clips on the tailgate are still white in colour, as are the mounting clips for the tailgate plinth, there also appears to be zero rust around any of the clips, again very rare on a Golf tailgate
Door shut lines are impeccable
Seats, from what can be seen, still look very taught
No "yellowing" to any of the front lights,
No evidence of molesting
Faded paint is most likely the original, note then that the car probably has never been broken into, and lock guards have not been fitted
Bonnet has been painted, with the paint blended onto the wings, normal practice really..

Thom

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2011, 08:38 »
Definitely worth checking out.