Author Topic: brake pad warning light  (Read 1248 times)

Offline roach3

• Not said much yet
brake pad warning light
« on: 03 May 2022, 16:39 »
hi
2016 gtd and recently had a brake pad warning light come on.
now i know its fitted to the nearside front only but the thing is ive had all 4 discs and pads changed but the error persists.
local vw guy who works on my car tried to remove the error code with the reader but says theres no entry to turn off for this.
any ideas why this error persists?

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: brake pad warning light
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2022, 19:52 »
Not had this fault on my cars but did have a brake warning message after hitting a particularly large pot hole but it disappeared almost immediately suggesting the sensor shorted out briefly. Is warning light on all the time? Presumably the fault code was deleted and the error returned immediately. Could be a faulty plug connection to the pads or break in the cable. Worth running a continuity check on the cable to see if it has a break to earth. My first step would be to connect a multimeter across the plug that is connected to the pads to check resistance. If this is zero then the fault is likely the pad with the sensor or the cable to the sensor. Check the other end of the plug (into the car) for voltage. Plugs can be a bit delicate when plugging in and out so it is worth checking that the pins and cable are not touching to cause a short. Not sure where you go from there though.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.