Author Topic: Mark 6 Centre Caps  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Bigdog01

• Just got here
Mark 6 Centre Caps
« on: 29 October 2021, 09:37 »
Hi. I have a mark 6 Golf GTI, 12 plate, are the wheel centre caps 59mm? I have measured the inner diameter at 59mm, however, on Google, the sizes seem to vary for a mark 6 & I want to be sure that I get the correct size

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Mark 6 Centre Caps
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2021, 10:17 »
A few years back it was actually cheaper to buy them from the vw dealers ir tps than on ebay etc. Maybe worth phoning a dealer and asking. At least they will give you the right size listed for your car too.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2021, 11:16 »
A few years back it was actually cheaper to buy them from the vw dealers ir tps than on ebay etc. Maybe worth phoning a dealer and asking. At least they will give you the right size listed for your car too.

And from comments elsewhere genuine vw  ones last. The colour does not fade or wear off like some of the ebay ones.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bigdog01

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2021, 18:27 »
Thank you both. I've spoken to VW & they can't confirm what size I need & on there database, they have that my car has detroit alloys, when they are shadow monza's..

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2021, 19:07 »
Thank you both. I've spoken to VW & they can't confirm what size I need & on there database, they have that my car has detroit alloys, when they are shadow monza's..

Monza Shadow alloys are called Detroit alloys in some overseas markets, in the same way that the standard Parker alloys on the mk7.5 Facelift Golf GTI are called Milton Keynes alloys in many overseas markets. So centre caps for Detroit alloys should fit your wheels.

If you do a Google search on ‘VW Detroit alloys’ the images will be of Monza alloys.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2021, 10:26 »
Just trawling through my GTI car stuff receipts - which has scared me on the amount of bits of paper in the folder  :grin:.

Back in 2013 when I had my four Monza Shadow wheels refurbished, I ordered 4 new caps as the plastic film had started to lift (mini white worm) on the car's original ones.

My invoice from my VW main dealer has part number listed as V3B7 601 171 XR W. At the time each cap was £6.77 + VAT.  That would've been with a service plan discount I suspect and I'm sure 8 years' inflation has taken its toll too, no idea on the price today. 

Anyway I hope that helps you find what you're looking for.

Cheers

Bluto
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline roblyt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2021, 23:56 »
nice one
im going order some, im having my wheels done next week, first time they been done so may as well get new caps  :smiley:

Offline roblyt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2021, 11:00 »
just ordered 4 from VW
was expecting expensive but not £78 lol

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2021, 22:23 »
Ouch
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2022, 09:54 »
That's why I bought mine on ebay. They're fake and didn't fit properly. Had to add some tape to bulk them up a bit to get a good friction fit. Almost two years later they are still going strong. Was a massive improvement over the white worm original ones. And if one falls off, at this point I don't mind spending another 10 quid or whatever it was on ebay.
2010 Mk6 GTI