Author Topic: Just bought a 2002 Golf GTI / TDI but am puzzled...  (Read 1436 times)

Offline d912mv

• Just got here
Just bought a 2002 Golf GTI / TDI but am puzzled...
« on: 16 January 2007, 22:42 »
Hi,

New here, wondering if someone can advise me.

I've just bought a '02 Golf GT TDI 150 PD 5 door car.  It has red and black seats with GTI woven in and the badge on the front and back exterior is GTI and not TDI.  It is a definitely a diesel.  I am wondering whether this could be a 25th anniversary golf as the seats are identical to those found in the 25th anniversary golf although i am under the impression that they didnt make a 5dr version. 

Also, i cant seem to find any GT TDI 150 PD 5 door cars, just 3 door.  I can only find GT TDI 150.

I bought the car from a reputable garage with 12 month warranty.

I am wondering...

1) whether i might have a 25th anniversary car
2) if 1), how is mine 5 door?
3) if not 1), why does my car show up with PD in the version when i enter my registration number online?
4) What does PD mean?
5) Are there any PD golf's made which apart from the anniversary edtition?

Thanks for all feedback on this.  A tad pedantic on my half (i should just enjoy the car) but i'd like to get it clear in my mind.  My only sources of info have been parkers and searching the web.

CHeers

Offline posicarl returns

• Not said much yet
Re: Just bought a 2002 Golf GTI / TDI but am puzzled...
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2007, 23:14 »
Im pretty sure they never did a five door Anniversary model.
What colour is it as the 25th only come in Black, Red and Silver. And you should have a numbered plauque on the fuse box cover.

Also the 25th have brushed aluminium gas struts on the boot and under the bonnet.
of course dont forget the 18" BBS wheels.

Its may be possible the interior has been donated from a smashed up anniversary I suppose.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 09:25 »
...and PD means - PD VW / Audis own new injection system. It stands for "Pump Deuse" or single unit injection. It has proved to date a very efficient method of fuel delivery. Landrover also use this system in their TD5. Google is a wonderful thing. :smug:

There are 150PD GTI's out there as one of the mods on here had one a couple of years back. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 January 2007, 09:38 by gibby »
......now officially dubless.

Offline d912mv

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2007, 09:37 »
Ah, i didn't see a badge like that.  I am taking delivery of the car tomorrow so will be able to check for that.

One other thing, the badges are GTI but it's a diesel... the garage call it a GT TDI 150... does that mean i am driving a GTI or a TDI?

I didn't realise VW made diesel Golf GTI's... please enlighten me!

Dan

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 09:45 »
Hmmm, I'm afraid my mk4 knowledge is brilliant, but I think that the lower bhp units like your 130s and your 115s were badged as TDI's and the 150bhp PD engine was badged as a GTI. Now, I may be wrong, but that was my understanding as I said earlier, S11EPS on here had a PD150 badged as a GTI a couple of years ago. My understanding is also that there was never actually a mk4 badged as a GTTDI from the factory and the rumour is that they were badged like that by the stealers. For the record S11EPS's was badged as a GTI and was deffo a PD150. :smiley:

Offline d912mv

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2007, 09:58 »
Excellent Gibby! Nice one... my mind if now considerably clearer... '02 reg, 80k, black, 12 month warranty.. £5995... rather happy at the moment, an improvement on my old polo ;-)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2007, 10:19 »
No problem. Sounds like a good deal there for a PD150. at that price it's deffo not an anniversary otherwise you'd be paying about 3 - 4k more.

Offline campbell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2007, 13:22 »
We have a kosher one of these.

There are quite a lot of specific details on the 25th Anniversary, most have been covered already and the numbered plate visible in the dash assembly with the door open is the best proof one way or another.

I guess it's possible that an enthusiastic owner who missed out on the limited run, or needed 5 doors, could have tweaked a standard 150 tdi to near-Anni spec.

Only things I can add to watch for are:

- in-dash 6 disc CD autochanger
- alu-effect kick plates inside the door sills
- no middle-seat rear headrest
- rear seats also black with red stitching and GTI logos in them
- 18" mirror finish BBS multi-spoke rims, can't recall the name...but if they corrode badly, they are the originals !!!

Whatever the case, this general genre of the car is pretty impressive and you are going to enjoy 40mpg+ no matter how you drive it (and 50mpg down motorways easily!) and a great level of comfort and refinement.

Every time we think of selling ours, we always come up with another reason to keep it just a bit longer ;-)

All the best,

Campbell

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2007, 14:36 »
- 18" mirror finish BBS multi-spoke rims, can't recall the name...but if they corrode badly, they are the originals !!!

....and if you have these I think you can chance your arm with VW and they'll change them for you as these were recalled due to the corrosion. You may have to pay a bit towards them but you might be able to get a new set of wheels for about £60. :wink:

Offline campbell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2007, 15:41 »
....and if you have these I think you can chance your arm with VW and they'll change them for you as these were recalled due to the corrosion. You may have to pay a bit towards them but you might be able to get a new set of wheels for about £60. :wink:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt ;-) - we are on our third set, 2 sets of replacements under warranty but that expired over a year ago and the latest set have now gone the same way.

However I'm relaxed about this, we did well to date and there's a great wheel refinisher I've found who can refurb them for me (and, crucially, lacquer them all the way through for permanent protection).  He's already done my Elise rims for about £40 a wheel - ironically, when I delivered those to him, in the golf, he laughed and said "I'll be seeing your GTi back in here in a few months mate!"

The key thing apparently is the full lacquer...BBS, and many other rim suppliers, only lacquer the outside edge of OEM rims to save costs, and brake dust and corrosion creeps in from the inboard edges.  Very poor IMHO.

But such a great looking wheel, we'll be sticking with 'em!

Ta for the pointer though.

Campbell