Author Topic: Tweeter Removal - mk3  (Read 4334 times)

Offline miketheman2k

• Not said much yet
Tweeter Removal - mk3
« on: 11 November 2003, 15:02 »
Hi all,

About to rip all of those useless paper speakers out of my car this weekend in favour of some nice Infinity Components but....

1) How do you remove the tweeters in the front of the mk3? They appear to be held in from below the dash?

2) Are the rear cards easy to get off, and will I be able to simply swap the existing tweeter for the new one?

Cheers all,

Mike

Offline miketheman2k

• Not said much yet
Re:Tweeter Removal - mk3
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2003, 15:23 »
Has no one changed their tweeters???  :o

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2003, 16:45 »
sorry cant help, havent trodden there yet.. i remember putting some replacements in a mates mk2 8v years back.. was a pig
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

i-espedair

« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2003, 17:55 »
I am in need of help in this area too. I was going to by Sony componants to match my head unit, but i haven't done it yet because of the fear of spending a load of cash and having to carve my car up or find out i bought the wrong thing!

While i was at it i was gonna take the interior apart and tightn it up and stuff foam in there to limit nasty vibrations!

Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated! Come on guys... you can't all be drivin round with the standard speakers!!!

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2003, 21:42 »
well i've got a couple subs n the boot. (2 rockford fosgate 8's) transplanted from my old car.. but havent fiddled with the rest yest apart from adding a new mp3 head unit (mmm) at the mo seems good to me :)

will see as time goes on
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Blue MK2

« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2003, 23:09 »
The easier option is to buy some speakers that come with seperate tweeters and mount them anywhere!

My mate put some on the area just above the seatbelt and it gives a better soundstage than the standard tweeter areas.

Blue MK2

« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2003, 23:12 »
i-espedair,

Get the sound deadning and go mental with it. On the back of the door cards, on the metal areas, the lot mate.

Ive heard even the smallest amounts can transform the sound.

Omar

« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2003, 08:30 »
Ive had the same problem with replacing the tweeters at the front. I took the covers off the front tweeters, looked at what was there and laughed it off.

As for the rear ones I managed to fashion a nice housing area from the original tweeter mounts. Will get a pic for ya if you feel inspired?

BTW - You dont need to take the rear door cards off, you can just prise off the plastic mounts to get at the tweeters.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2003, 08:39 by Omar »

Offline skinny2468

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2003, 19:43 »
Just in the process of changing the front component speakers for some Alpine ones. Have removed the tweeter housings, cut the solid links to the speakers themselves, and I'm about to fashion together something to hold the new tweeters in place.
I'd be interested to know if anyone's run new wires through to their door speakers (for amping up etc). I've done mine, but ended up cutting slots around the plug and socket assembly that connects the door electrics to the car. Not for the faint hearted!
« Last Edit: 14 November 2003, 19:55 by skinny2468 »

Offline miketheman2k

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2003, 21:06 »
Hi all,

Have just started a complete overhaul of the ICE (components, headunit, amps, subs) in the car. Finally managed to get those damn tweeters out...

...will post a step by step with pics when its done (hopefully tomorrow!)

Mike