Author Topic: "4D" number plates. Anyone got them?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: "4D" number plates. Anyone got them?
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2022, 21:58 »
When I bought my GTi the one mod I promised myself would be to buy proper pressed plates to give my car a 'German' look plus on a practical note they will last longer than some of the plastics plates I've seen which have faded or delaminated.

Very pleased with mine and the surrounds, I was going to treat myself and get them from a German supplier but after Brexit the shippingbecome stupidly expensive so found some euroclip ones on Ebay.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2022, 08:31 »
Weren't there new rules that came in last year surrounding the design of number plates etc. I'm sure i read that the 3d effect Carbon style lettering was now banned, but not sure about 4D lettering ?

I know that a new number plate has to have fonts in one solid colour, on a black or Yellow reflective background, must carry the BS number and also the details of the supplier of the number plate to be legal and pass an MOT.

Or am i talking dross  ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2022, 09:33 »
I thought that the new rules included 4D too, but they covered 3D effect with shading etc. The rules say that they should be solid black, non reflective digits in legal font on a plain yellow or back reflective backing. No mention of raised digits, and this is how they get round it.

The problem as I see it is illustrated in the FJZ photo which views the plate from an angle. It gives the impression of miss spacing (virtually no gap between the J & Z) meaning that it might not be readable by ANPR.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2022, 09:57 »
I thought that the new rules included 4D too, but they covered 3D effect with shading etc. The rules say that they should be solid black, non reflective digits in legal font on a plain yellow or back reflective backing. No mention of raised digits, and this is how they get round it.

The problem as I see it is illustrated in the FJZ photo which views the plate from an angle. It gives the impression of miss spacing (virtually no gap between the J & Z) meaning that it might not be readable by ANPR.

That appears to be 5 or 6 mm acrylic, which is too thick for me. There are also 3mm ones.

I'm probably going to go regular plates anyway. Might look into pressed though

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2022, 10:15 »
The Auto Trader article on number plate changes at the link below states that the technical changes to number plates apply to all new number plates registered after 01/09/2021. Does that mean the changes only apply to ‘71 and later plates or does it also include any replacement number plates issued for older vehicles? IMHO it’s not clear from the Auto Trader article - or other articles I’ve read on the changes. If it’s the former, then 4D plates would still be legal on pre ‘71 plate cars, and that could be why companies that make plates are still advertising 3D and 4D plates.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/number-plate-changes-from-september-2021

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2022, 10:22 »
That specifically says that 4D number plates are still legal

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2022, 11:54 »
The new number plates can also only display solid black lettering. Two-tone number plates that used different shades to create a 3D or 4D effect have been banned.

The lettering can still be Perspex or acrylic lettering, provided it meets all other requirements. They must, however, be black and cannot have different colour sides.

That contradicts itself by saying 4D effect has been banned, but lettering can still be perspex or acrylic???

I'd say there is confusion between what had always being know as 3D effect by means of 2 dimensional shading, and what is now referred to as 4D, which is actually stuck on 3 dimensional lettering.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2022, 12:02 »
No, it says two tone number plates creating a 4D effect are banned. There's nothing two tone about the picture posted above. (Well, yellow and black are two tones, but that's obviously not what it means)

What's been banned are things like this:

Note the two tones on the lettering.

I'm not sure how the two tones could be used to create a 4D effect, but the acrylic plates obviously aren't 4D anyway, unless they transcend time. They were originally called 4D to differentiate them from "3D", which is the picture above (now banned)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2022, 13:02 »
We are saying the same thing, I probably haven't conveyed it very well.

Either way, they look pap.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2022, 19:28 »
Well guys, I feel I am on the defensive end of things. As an infants school teacher I know says, ‘Kind words, please! I posted to try and help others visualise what a 4 D plate looks like. The spacing on my plates is the standard legal prescribed spacing. It has not been altered, as some do, to to try and convey some strange interpretation. To my knowledge they are totally legal and are fully ANPR compliant. That is how they were advertised and if it was not the case I would not display them. Maybe I should start a poll to determine whether I should remove the (offensive) picture; seems to be an emotive post.  :laugh: You don’t need to have a thick skin round here but sometimes it helps.
PS SJV to my knowledge 3mm plates are gel plates. I used to have those too but was advised they were passé.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2022, 19:58 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.