Author Topic: mot check list  (Read 102451 times)

Offline steve2010

• Just got here
Re: mot check list
« Reply #60 on: 22 April 2011, 13:52 »
the reverse lights are not needed for mot. and spare wheels are not checked either. i no thi cos i am an mot tester my self. car will fail mot tho if it has a space saver fitted. got to have the same size wheel and tyre on the same axle.

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 10 May 2011, 08:34 »
Rear wiper snapped off. Friend sId don't worry not part of mot test. Is this true?

Offline dilbert

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #62 on: 27 September 2011, 19:33 »
Rear wiper snapped off. Friend sId don't worry not part of mot test. Is this true?

yes true no rear wiper or washer not working is NOT a failure
mk4 golf 1.8 gti 20v

Offline dilbert

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #63 on: 27 September 2011, 19:36 »
Rear brakes chirp when releasing. Fail on mot? Left side of dash does not light up(speedometer)reason a mystery. Fail on mot? Front left tyre has worn outer tread only. Middle and inner tread ok. Fail mot? left rear tailight has small 1mm crack with small chip missing for turn signal. ( I mean less than 2 mm) Otherwise car is ok.

Lots of little crap. I use the rpm guage to determine speed at night. Or turn on cabin light.

Lots of little crapola that really don't affect driving.

brakes go on efficiancy test and when you mean chirp when releasing ? do you mean binding on ?

tyres have to have no cords showing and minimum of 1.6mm 3/4 from the centre of the tyre.

dash lights are not failure.

rear lights can fail if a sharp edge is showing or white light from the bulb illuminating is showing
mk4 golf 1.8 gti 20v

Offline scottyfalmouth

• Not said much yet
« Reply #64 on: 04 January 2012, 20:08 »
Can anyone shed light on this for me.

Car has been off the road for a year. All seems to be well with regards to the check list, drives ok, good breaking etc so is road worthy in my eyes.
I have insurance but no tax or MOT.
I know you are allowed to drive to the MOT station if a test booked.
Is there a limit on this distance. I was hoping to go to my mates 50 miles away. Is this pushing my luck?

Cheers

scott

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #65 on: 05 January 2012, 06:00 »
if there are LOTS of MOT places closer then YES you will be pushing your luck

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 05 January 2012, 20:03 »
no there is no regulation legally how far/near you have to go for a mot..as long as you are driving STRAIGHT there.. I drove from central london to Guildford...over 30 miles away..

Just make sure you have it booked at the place with your licence plate..as your friendly policeman may ask you if stopped...but more importantly if a camera catches you, you will have a reason for driving it!!

Offline dedi82

• GTI forum regular
Re: mot cheack list
« Reply #67 on: 02 January 2013, 18:44 »
f**k it just get a dodgy MOT :laugh:

end of the day its who you know :wink:
   salooo get a plastic 1 ... i do passes every year

Offline north

• Just got here
« Reply #68 on: 12 August 2013, 20:30 »
number plates
6.3 registration plates
method of inspection:
2 On vehicles first registered on or after 1 january 1973, check:
colour of the characters and background
that the registration plates are fixed as close to vertical as is reasonably practical
3 on vehicles first registered on or after 1 september 2001, check that the registration plates do not display a honeycomb or similar effect background
Reason for rejection:
2a a front registration plate does not have black characters on a white background
 b a rear registration plate does not have black characters on a yellow background
3 a registration plate obviously displaying a honeycomb or similar background   (note this includes background overprinted or shadowed with text eg, vehicle manufacturer name,)

taken from VTS MOT inspection manual

so a bored traffic officer playing car snooker would have reason to pull you over and give you a ticket especially if you got a nice black gti with black plates, (7 points for a black one lol)
north