Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 322460 times)

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #2050 on: 23 August 2013, 17:29 »
Hi guys,

I have been following all these issues about build weeks slipping etc and avoiding checking since mine went to build in progress last Sunday. Just heard that its in transit and will be about 3 weeks. I am guessing its sat at Emden waiting for the boat...starting to get excited again!

Sorry to hear about all of you who have been messed about.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #2051 on: 23 August 2013, 17:57 »
Not sure where to post this as 90% of forum discussion seems to be about waiting for a car to arrive and BMW's...

As I'm thingking of buying a Golf R I am of course interested in how long you are having to wait for your GTI/GTD's. When I bought my factory order Mk6 in 2010 it was about 16-18 weeks from placing the order that I picked it up. From memory all my new cars have had similar lead times (unless there has been one already in the system) right back to a Mk2 GTI bought in 1989 which took around 16 weeks.

So my question is, how many weeks have you guys actually had to wait so far and what is your expectation for a car to be built from scratch to your spec?
Golf R

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #2052 on: 23 August 2013, 18:17 »
Mk 6 GTI was just the same with long lead times for most.

Limited production and a new model means demand is far higher than supply, wait 12 months and things will be more normal.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I waited 14 weeks. It is a fantastic car, well worth waiting for.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2053 on: 23 August 2013, 18:19 »
Give my dealer a call yesterday and they got back to me today.

They recon the tracker should update in a few days to show that my car has been built. They said they are aware of delays at the factory but it hadn't affected any of their vehicles so far.

My contact always been very helpful when I spoke to him and always seems pretty straight up when I ask him questions.

I believe him in what he's telling me, based on what I've read on here I'm not so sure the information he is being given is perhaps as truthful, but time will tell. But its possible he's getting told porkys.

Not going to go into relief mode, due to all the broken promises other people have received over and over again, but thought I'd just add this.

Time will tell!
« Last Edit: 23 August 2013, 18:22 by ChrisJL »
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #2054 on: 23 August 2013, 18:23 »
Not sure where to post this as 90% of forum discussion seems to be about waiting for a car to arrive and BMW's...

As I'm thingking of buying a Golf R I am of course interested in how long you are having to wait for your GTI/GTD's. When I bought my factory order Mk6 in 2010 it was about 16-18 weeks from placing the order that I picked it up. From memory all my new cars have had similar lead times (unless there has been one already in the system) right back to a Mk2 GTI bought in 1989 which took around 16 weeks.

So my question is, how many weeks have you guys actually had to wait so far and what is your expectation for a car to be built from scratch to your spec?

Aye, far too much BMW talk to be honest!  :grin:  I haven't got mine yet, but it's on the way to the dealer, so will have been about a 20 week wait.  I was originally told 16 weeks, so the slip for me isn't that bad.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2055 on: 23 August 2013, 18:36 »
Evening all,

My dealer has emailed me to tell me that my build week is now confirmed.

My Story is, ordered May31st from Drive the Deal. Delivering to West Yorkshire, dealer in London  :huh: 12.5% discount.

Estimated BW 35, Delayed to BW 38, confirmed BW 38 today. Tornado Red, PP & Basic Nav.

Delivery Mid October, I'm in the US for 5 weeks from 26th October...... DOH!

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #2056 on: 23 August 2013, 18:37 »
Really tough conversation with Lisa from VW exec.  She unexpectedly just called me at 18:15.

Right off the bat when asked how I am I said not good, I want to cancel.  I guess she's having a bad day as I was quizzed pretty hard on "why am I doing that at this stage of the order?".  I explained about the delays and the lack of meaningful information.  I explained about things like the excuse of factory shutdown being insulting because a scheduled shutdown should not cause a delay.  I exp,aimed about the strange situation of earlier orders delayed while others progress.  I explained that same orders with BWs are still not going to be built.

She wanted me to wait until BW37 to see if mine would go through on BW37 or not.  Why would I waste another month and forfeit a deal with BMW just to find out if my order is delayed AGAIN.  She started raising her voice and seemed pretty pissed that I was "asking questions she can't answer".  I explained that I am not upset she can't answer I'm upset that we arrived in this situation in the first place.

She a,so said she is staying late to call people but that annoyed me.  I said she said she would call Wednesday and nothing happened.  She said shed call Thursday and nothing happened.  I called Thursday and was told I would be called back...nothing happened.

I ended by saying I'm only explaining all this to help VW.  They need to understand why they have upset a customer so they can try to avoid upsetting other customers.  I said is not her fault but someone needs to look at the procedures they have.  Finally I said personally I believe it is VW Germany's fault for not giving VWUK any info, but I know she can't confirm that.  Silence.

Finally she said she is sorry if I was misled when I ordered and all my complaints have been logged.  I said I've never actually made a complaint I've only ever called for information, they assumed I was complaining.  Furthermore I have no issues with the dealer and don't blame them for this.

Conversation ended.  Did she listen and understand?  I don't think so.  It was all excuses raised voice, talking over me and implying I was being unreasonable.  Perhaps she gets a rocket if a case she handles isn't resolved satisfactorily I don't know... I have low confidence that any lessons have been learnt here however.

Meanwhile BMW are guaranteeing a September delivery and a £6k discount.  (I did mention this but she says she can't comment on BMW.  Of course she can't... The point is they are helping while VW are messing).

-sigh-

I expect some of you are having equally annoying calls right now!

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2057 on: 23 August 2013, 18:47 »
Really tough conversation with Lisa from VW exec.  She unexpectedly just called me at 18:15.

Right off the bat when asked how I am I said not good, I want to cancel.  I guess she's having a bad day as I was quizzed pretty hard on "why am I doing that at this stage of the order?".  I explained about the delays and the lack of meaningful information.  I explained about things like the excuse of factory shutdown being insulting because a scheduled shutdown should not cause a delay.  I exp,aimed about the strange situation of earlier orders delayed while others progress.  I explained that same orders with BWs are still not going to be built.

She wanted me to wait until BW37 to see if mine would go through on BW37 or not.  Why would I waste another month and forfeit a deal with BMW just to find out if my order is delayed AGAIN.  She started raising her voice and seemed pretty pissed that I was "asking questions she can't answer".  I explained that I am not upset she can't answer I'm upset that we arrived in this situation in the first place.

She a,so said she is staying late to call people but that annoyed me.  I said she said she would call Wednesday and nothing happened.  She said shed call Thursday and nothing happened.  I called Thursday and was told I would be called back...nothing happened.

I ended by saying I'm only explaining all this to help VW.  They need to understand why they have upset a customer so they can try to avoid upsetting other customers.  I said is not her fault but someone needs to look at the procedures they have.  Finally I said personally I believe it is VW Germany's fault for not giving VWUK any info, but I know she can't confirm that.  Silence.

Finally she said she is sorry if I was misled when I ordered and all my complaints have been logged.  I said I've never actually made a complaint I've only ever called for information, they assumed I was complaining.  Furthermore I have no issues with the dealer and don't blame them for this.

Conversation ended.  Did she listen and understand?  I don't think so.  It was all excuses raised voice, talking over me and implying I was being unreasonable.  Perhaps she gets a rocket if a case she handles isn't resolved satisfactorily I don't know... I have low confidence that any lessons have been learnt here however.

Meanwhile BMW are guaranteeing a September delivery and a £6k discount.  (I did mention this but she says she can't comment on BMW.  Of course she can't... The point is they are helping while VW are messing).

-sigh-

I expect some of you are having equally annoying calls right now!

It basically boils down to arrogance IMO. They obviously feel we should be grateful that they even let us buy one of their products. Even without delays, I know of no other mainstream car builders that class 3 Months plus as a normal lead time. Most other companies are 6-8 weeks. My Mrs got a new Mini Cooper factory order in 2.5 weeks. My sister did a factory order for a Juke last week, they called later that afternoon to say it would be here for 1st September. Volkswagen have a very different way of doing things. Whenever I walk into a VW dealership to enquire they always jump into, "High Demand" or "Already used our allocation" or "Long lead times". It's a strange way of doing business, almost like they don't want to sell cars at all.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #2058 on: 23 August 2013, 18:54 »
Do you think they don't really want to sell cars, they want to do something more fulfilling, like being the guy who gets shot out of a canon at the circus?  The problem is that for society to function there is a certain ratio of car salesmen to canoning clowns below which we run into problems.

I'm sure I read a theory to this effect somewhere.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2059 on: 23 August 2013, 18:55 »
Do you think they don't really want to sell cars, they want to do something more fulfilling, like being the guy who gets shot out of a canon at the circus?  The problem is that for society to function there is a certain ratio of car salesmen to canoning clowns below which we run into problems.

I'm sure I read a theory to this effect somewhere.

Sounds plausible to me.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.