Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 322765 times)

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #1750 on: 08 August 2013, 21:11 »
Nope no camera. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get an update.

Whilst I can't work out how she would know this, she did say at the time that they appear to be pushing manufacture for 'customer ready' cars that will be held in stock locations.

I'm just going to forget I heard that for now....
Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline harryhackenbacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1751 on: 08 August 2013, 21:20 »
Ordered mine 4th of may original week given 42 , changed a few times now down for Wk 37 , spec performance chassis,
ACC, ONYX ,19 inch , Dyno , park assist , sat nav , Camera , Keyless ,Winter Pack .
Having been through this before ,am sitting patiently ,and looking forward to the Day  :cool: :cool:
MK7 R 3 DOOR DSG PEARL BLACK FULL SPEC CARBON
LEATHER

Offline OF1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1752 on: 08 August 2013, 21:27 »
Like I said I have the camera and I haven't been shunted. In may my estimated build week was 38. It's now been at estimated 3 for ages.
Currently Driving: Mini Cooper SD | Chilli Red | Black Roof | Often mistaken for my girlfriend's car..

Cancelled Order: Golf GTD Manual 3 Door | Pure White | Leather | Dynaudio | Reversing Camera | Service Pack

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1753 on: 08 August 2013, 21:31 »
Like I said I have the camera and I haven't been shunted. In may my estimated build week was 38. It's now been at estimated 3 for ages.

That's because you haven't reached the 4 week limit yet OF1; we're only on BW32 which means you won't know whether you've been shunted until BW34.  And if BW32 customers are being moved back a week to BW33, that impies you'll be BW39 at the earliest.  And then the camera may put you back further.

Still calm about things?!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1754 on: 08 August 2013, 21:55 »
They say all models in first year of production should come with a 20 week lead time estimate (I guess this is a rebuke to the dealer for telling me end July delivery but I see it more as a VWUK process failure... whatever)

How can they say that when you can get a standard Golf 7 in 10-12 weeks, and have been able to since launch (it hasn't been out a year yet either). VW are architects of waits via the dealership allocation system and on top of that they seemed to have cocked up with the camera situation.

More spin from them that doesn't ring true. I hope they honour you p/x offer but why didn't you pin it down at time of order and let them cop for any losses should it drag out? They were always going to offer you less at pick-up on a variable p/x deal. They should be able to do something for you - they can claim compensation from VW for a confirmed order accepted by VW UK taht isn't built within 20 weeks of order, no reason why they shouldn't apply for it to recompense you (or themselves if they give you the July offer value).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1755 on: 08 August 2013, 22:05 »
OK, so I got a call from my dealer, who was extremely apologetic (to be expected) and said that they have escalated to exec and they have spoken to contacts in Germany.  Essentially, the car HAS gone into build, but it is at the very early stages of the production line, and there have been some delays that have resulted in it not progressing through as fast as it should.  They wouldn't say what the delays were, but I should expect significant movement over the next few days...

Taken with a pinch of salt, but as ever, you choose to believe the info. that makes you feel good until the next bit of bad news!  :grin:  We should all club together and write a new reality show!

Considering a Golf is supposed to be done and dusted within 30 hours of commencement of build (unsure if that is assembly time post-paintshop or includes all stages including shell welding, it seems incredible that you may have a painted shell in stasis because it is missing some parts. Would they really build and paint your shell just to store it somewhere when they can just build it when they do have your parts, at the cost of probably 10-15 hours? Or even progressed it past that stage and have started main assembly only to take it off the line when a part wasn't available. Ford Transit shell/chassis assembly is a 2 hour process, then there is approx 8 hours to degrease, phosphate dip, cathodic protection and undercoat, pigment coat then lacquer coat all with Infrared oven curing.

Some more dealer or VWUK BS?

When I rang about my dad's GTD to ask if it was getting built that week, the person I spoke to was able to tell me exactly what stage it was at - imminent exit from the paintshop for main assembly and expected to be on a train to Emden within 3 days.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 22:11 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #1756 on: 08 August 2013, 23:48 »
I've no idea monkeyhanger, all I can go on is what I've been told, which could be pure BS and the thing may not be in build at all.  You're right, it doesn't make sense to hold a car in part-build.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1757 on: 09 August 2013, 00:01 »
A (standard) Golf is meant to have a '30' hour build time over two to four days... not 'built in 30 hours'...

GTI's are made on an entirely separate production line, with much more manual intervention. Particularly if you have the performance pack. In which the engines and front shocks are fitted by hand.

You're comparing this to the process of a Ford Transit!?... that's like comparing the build of the Golf to that of a Ferrari.

VW are not unique in these delays, I've had BMW's suffer exactly the same issues and worse. If you order a car before it is readily available, then you will get it when it arrives.

I'm also frustrated at the delay in my Golf GTI being delivered, but I'd rather it was late and correct.

Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1758 on: 09 August 2013, 00:06 »
A (standard) Golf is meant to have a '30' hour build time over two to four days... not 'built in 30 hours'...

GTI's are made on an entirely separate production line, with much more manual intervention. Particularly if you have the performance pack. In which the engines and front shocks are fitted by hand.

You're comparing this to the process of a Ford Transit!?... that's like comparing the build of the Golf to that of a Ferrari.

VW are not unique in these delays, I've had BMW's suffer exactly the same issues and worse. If you order a car before it is readily available, then you will get it when it arrives.

I'm also frustrated at the delay in my Golf GTI being delivered, but I'd rather it was late and correct.

Hmm, interesting... Whats the source of that info mate?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1759 on: 09 August 2013, 02:16 »
Source? I don't think I've mentioned anything that isn't well known already?