Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 322432 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #1740 on: 08 August 2013, 17:14 »
Yep! You're quite right OF1... You have some valid points there. "Patience is Bitter, but its Fruit is sweet!"

Having said that this is great thread for venting our frustrations. Without it I would have gone mad by now.

Like you said I don't think we should make any rash decisions and go looking for alternatives. What I would say is that the M135i was my initial first choice over the GTi, which is why I was rather tempted to go down that route again.

But like I said earlier, I've waited this long already, I might as well grin and bear it...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #1741 on: 08 August 2013, 17:19 »
To be fair to myself OF1, since I got my confirmed build week of 32 over 7 weeks ago, I called and mailed a grand total of zero times.  I mailed my dealer Monday just to check it was going into build, and was told it was.  Today, I called VW just to check, because I have to plan some travel for a few days on business in September so wanted to try and objectively work around it.  For me to get told that it is actually NOT in build goes beyond any level of crap customer service I had in the past.

Having said that, I generally agree with what you are saying, and there is no way I'd change for a car I never considered before "just because".  Though, as Bear pointed out, some people are being hit financially by not getting their part-ex secured, and they made that decision based on poor information at the time.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #1742 on: 08 August 2013, 17:19 »
For the last few weeks My "estimated" BW has been progressively pushed back just as it is due to be confirmed.  34 > 35 > 36 > 37 (currently).  On each occasion when they said it was pushed back I asked why and they said "very sorry, but it will go confirmed next week, we're sure this time."

Yesterday I called them as they hadn't called me as usual.  I got talking to a different guy who told me the reason it is constantly pushed back is because they do not have cameras and they do not have an ETA for when they will have cameras.  I call that "on hold" because there is no estimate.  Giving an estimate that moves forward in time at the same rate that time passes is nonsensical.

You could ask why I believe this latest statement over all the other stuff we've been told.  Only answer I can give is it fits, and all the other stuff has been systematically proven false (otherwise I'd be driving my GTI now or very very soon).

EDIT:
Oh yes, and yesterday they said they would be calling me to talk about it today.  They haven't.  I've given them two calls to remind them and both times promised a call back.  Still waiting. :whistle:

I need a proper no BS estimate from them.  I'm not waiting forever for a car that may or may not eventually materialise.  And frankly, I want them to do something to relieve the problems they have caused.  Its not much to ask.  for starters they could honour the original p/x I had at the value for July so that I don't lose that money.  Still doesn't cover the tax, MOT or any work that needs doing but it would be a start!
« Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 17:25 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1743 on: 08 August 2013, 17:30 »
Valid points OF1. I myself haven't phoned since I was given a confirmed date of BW33 8 weeks ago. However, if it slips after being confirmed I will not be happy as I'm the same as Bear, this wait has hit me financially. I've all ready had to shell out for an MOT and a new tyre which if my 'highly unlikely to change, if at all' BW of 26 had been adhered to (I have the email from VW, not from my dealer) I wouldn't have had to pay out. My car is also due a service and RFL in October and the thought of paying out for that for that p1sses me off no end, especially as I was told 31 July latest delivery when I originally ordered.

I've no intention of cancelling or getting a M135i. I've waited this long and ill continue to wait. It just grates somewhat.  My frustration is borne from a combination of the above, being really bored sh1tless of my current car, spunking money on petrol as its consumption is sh1te having thought it'd be long gone by now, and a 'I want it now' childish streak!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #1744 on: 08 August 2013, 17:48 »
Call back finally came.  Here is the summary:

1) Usual apologies.
2) They "hope" the estimated BW will not be pushed back any further.  I guess we all hope that but past experience is not encouraging on this matter.
3) Yes the cameras are "probably" the problem.  But they won't confirm anything and claim they don't really know themselves. :huh:
4) I explained the p/x situation.  They said they'd look into it and might be able to help (implication was they might take the p/x now and provide a courtesy car - should I ask for a GTI demo? hehe)
5) They say all models in first year of production should come with a 20 week lead time estimate (I guess this is a rebuke to the dealer for telling me end July delivery but I see it more as a VWUK process failure... whatever)

They will text me next week and then call on Tues 20th (because I'm away next week).  So here's hoping that call will include a CONFIRMED BW and not another estimate pushed back by another 2 weeks!  Whatever happens what are we talking for delivery now?  End of October? :sad:

Oh yes, and they said they were "escalating" the matter.  Though it wasn't clear to me if this means any extra effort/pressure is applied to get things moving or if its more of a buzz word meant to convey that they recognise I'm not a happy customer, but that they are already doing all they can/are willing to.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 17:50 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #1745 on: 08 August 2013, 17:56 »
OK, so I got a call from my dealer, who was extremely apologetic (to be expected) and said that they have escalated to exec and they have spoken to contacts in Germany.  Essentially, the car HAS gone into build, but it is at the very early stages of the production line, and there have been some delays that have resulted in it not progressing through as fast as it should.  They wouldn't say what the delays were, but I should expect significant movement over the next few days...

Taken with a pinch of salt, but as ever, you choose to believe the info. that makes you feel good until the next bit of bad news!  :grin:  We should all club together and write a new reality show!

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #1746 on: 08 August 2013, 17:57 »
We should all club together and write a new reality show!

"ding" (light bulb coming on).  "Days of our VW" blog anyone? hehehe.

Nah bad idea, can barely cope as it is.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #1747 on: 08 August 2013, 18:00 »
"ding" (light bulb coming on).  "Days of our VW" blog anyone? hehehe.

Nah bad idea, can barely cope as it is.

"GTI TIG" was the name I had going around, 'cos that all it feels like we've been playing!  Staring Bill the Bear and co, coming to a forum near you soon  :grin:

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1748 on: 08 August 2013, 19:25 »
Called my dealer this morning, my GTI is also meant to being built this week. Was pushed back when they moved the factory shutdown forward.

Before I had the chance to say anything she said "I'm on the case, the chassis number should have appeared on the system by now but hasn't... I'll call you back when I find out what's going on"

No call back of course, and didn't answer the phone at all this afternoon.

I don't want any other car... and yes I'll wait even if it's delayed (again) but I'd be much happier if VW gave some more constant, honest feedback as to what's going on.

I find it very strange that VW promoted their 'Online tracker' on their FB page the day before they then took it offline...

Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1749 on: 08 August 2013, 20:53 »
Called my dealer this morning, my GTI is also meant to being built this week. Was pushed back when they moved the factory shutdown forward.

Before I had the chance to say anything she said "I'm on the case, the chassis number should have appeared on the system by now but hasn't... I'll call you back when I find out what's going on"

No call back of course, and didn't answer the phone at all this afternoon.

I don't want any other car... and yes I'll wait even if it's delayed (again) but I'd be much happier if VW gave some more constant, honest feedback as to what's going on.

I find it very strange that VW promoted their 'Online tracker' on their FB page the day before they then took it offline...

You don't have the camera do you? Which shows the delays blamed in the camera are total b0llocks. That's all of us shunted by a week back AGAIN then.

At the risk of sounding like a moaning (unt, this is the last time I buy a launch car.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....