Author Topic: MK7 GTI won’t start….. can anyone HELP!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Buswell_9

• Just got here
MK7 GTI won’t start….. can anyone HELP!
« on: 23 November 2021, 10:03 »
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and in need of some help. Ihave a mk7 GTI manual push button start that won’t start.
I press the clutch and push the button and it doesn’t start and I get error messages pop up on the dash.
The error messages are:-

Error: auto hold
Fault: electric parking brake
Error: bend lighting (AFS)

Also when I press the clutch in and press the button it pops up saying press the clutch.
The car just won’t start and I have no clue what the problem is.

Has anyone had a similar issue or know what the issue is?

Thanks
All

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GTI won’t start….. can anyone HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2021, 13:45 »
Hello and welcome Buswell.

It’s flat battery time of year.
My guess is that, a flat battery will throw up a host of error messages.

Do you have breakdown membership with home start?
Sometimes a not quite completely dead battery will have a slightly better charge during the daytime when the temps are a few degrees warmer than early morning/evening. Batteries hate the cold. I do too.

Other than that if you’re not urgently needing the car it would be worth investing in a cheap OBD scanner which will pay for itself time and again over the life of a car.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Buswell_9

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2021, 17:49 »
Hi Exonian

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes I have read that I could be the battery…. Which bring me to my next question if you can help at.

I did disconnect the battery and reconnect and it was in fact flat. It has been fully charged since but the car still won’t start.
Would charging the the battery help or does it need to be replaced?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2021, 21:03 »
I’m far from an expert, it could be that the battery didn’t hold the charge and went flat again or possibly even the immobiliser is throwing a tantrum because you’d disconnected the battery.
Sometimes an earthing problem can cause sudden battery drain, or even a courtesy light that won’t power off.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Buswell_9

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2021, 21:05 »
Thanks for all your advice. I’m going to invest in a cheap ODB scanner like you suggested to give me a helping hand  :smiley:

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2021, 20:08 »
Trouble with the modern batteries is they give you very little warning before they just fail. The OEM is EFB but 100% worth upgrading to AGM and remember any new battery even exactly the same specs will need coding to the car so it charges properly.

Mine failed a few years ago and I got the one below....

https://www.batterycharged.co.uk/shop/brands/duracell-automotive/duracell-extreme-battery-range/duracell-096-de70-agm-extreme-1241112.html

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2021, 11:45 »
Not wishing to derail the thread, but how long are these batteries typically lasting?

Reason I ask is that I can only recall ever replacing a couple of battery's in 20+ years of motoring. Typically my cars are anywhere from new up to about 6 years old so wondered if this was an early MK7 or something I need to look out for fairly early?

Appreciate everyone will have different experience.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2021, 13:46 »
Not wishing to derail the thread, but how long are these batteries typically lasting?

Reason I ask is that I can only recall ever replacing a couple of battery's in 20+ years of motoring. Typically my cars are anywhere from new up to about 6 years old so wondered if this was an early MK7 or something I need to look out for fairly early?

Appreciate everyone will have different experience.

I see the subject of dead and dying batteries discussed fairly regularly on various VAG forums. As you’ve said, everyone will have a different experience and battery life will be influenced by many factors. However, it seems it’s not unusual for a modern factory installed battery to need replacing when it gets to 3-5 years old.

I may have been lucky, but I’ve not needed to replace a battery in any of the VW’s I’ve owned, and I normally keep my cars 4-5 years from new.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl