Author Topic: help needed plz, check brake pads light  (Read 803 times)

Offline bullzeye

• I live here
help needed plz, check brake pads light
« on: 02 September 2011, 15:26 »
my check brake pads light been on for a while but pads were fine so today decided id have a propper check to find the problem,
behind the hub theres a wire thats nothing on the end of it (snapped) its the thinner of the two so i persume it goes to the brake pads(sensor)? where will i get replacement wire and is it just a plug on each end to reconnect?
pics would be brill  :grin:

cheapest mobile provider arround order a free sim with £5 credit www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/s3cr3t

Offline magsmagsmags

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T (AUM)
Re: help needed plz, check brake pads light
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2011, 15:41 »
Depends where it's snapped
There's a lead coming from the car, which has a connector on. This joins to another wire with another connector on which comes off the brake pad.

On my car they've been cut at some point and someone put female spade ends on the car side. When i get new pads i just snip off the bulky connector and pop two male spade ends on.

Depending where it's snapped, you could do the same if you didn't want to replace the proper lead if its broken on the car side.
~Mags~

Offline bullzeye

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2011, 16:02 »
humm its attached on the main leg/hub type thing lol (mrs bullzeye here) seams to have broke on the end that goes to the pads? ive not had wheel off yet but can clearly feel its broken with nothing on the end

cheapest mobile provider arround order a free sim with £5 credit www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/s3cr3t

Offline magsmagsmags

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T (AUM)
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2011, 16:47 »
basically it goes like this...

Brake pad here}---------{----] [----}-----------Cable going up chassis leg / arm / whatever
                           1^      ^2     ^3         ^4

1. two small leads going from brake pad
2. Connector attached to these leads
3. Opposite connector which attaches to connector 2
4. Wire leading away from brakes up the leg etc

If its snapped at 1, you can just use a butt connector (yes they're really called that) and a crimping tool to reconnect them.
if its snapped really close to either of the connectors, it'd be easiest to replace them with male and female spade ends.
if its snapped at 4. you could do the same as you would if its snapped at 1.

Bit of a crude diagram... but hopefully it helps
~Mags~

Offline bullzeye

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2011, 17:24 »
thanks for your help in sure the diagram will help once i can see what im looking at and get the wheel off :angry: its stuck at the min had mr bullzeye jumping on the wheel wrench? bar thing lol and not 1 bolt will move but have snapped bolts in the past so im gonna take it to garage tomoz to get them loosened not taking the risk again :cry:
thanks for help i  will probs be asking again tomorrow when i find out which bit is broken lol

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2011, 20:33 »
thanks for your help in sure the diagram will help once i can see what im looking at and get the wheel off :angry: its stuck at the min had mr bullzeye jumping on the wheel wrench? bar thing lol and not 1 bolt will move but have snapped bolts in the past so im gonna take it to garage tomoz to get them loosened not taking the risk again :cry:
thanks for help i  will probs be asking again tomorrow when i find out which bit is broken lol

same happend to me the other week, had a 1m long breaker bar, and the nut outlived the wrench end  :huh: :grin:  bloody hurt my hand when it snaped and i punched the floor haha had to get a big driver that was alot stronger to get them off :D

as for the light, i could be wrong but doesent that light signal that the fluids low? sorry was thinking of something else
« Last Edit: 02 September 2011, 20:37 by mcgee9t2 »