Author Topic: New Arrivals!!  (Read 1166863 times)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
Re: New Arrivals!!
« Reply #1620 on: 10 November 2013, 01:01 »
Jimble: Hopefully the DSG will grow on you. Not for thanks, found it highly annoying on my demo test drive. Put in manual mode and it still tries to change up for you etc. Hopefully you aren't underwhelmed for long.

I have to completely disagree with you here. In manual mode (that is gearstick pushed across to manual) the gears will never change up automatically for you, only change down when you're reaching a stop. In this mode you can use the paddle shifters for changing up & down gears without the automatic interfering at all.

If you use a paddle while in drive or sport you do not enter manual mode, rather you override the automatic gearbox for 10-15 seconds, after which the car will switch back into the previous mode it was in and go back to automatic.

I agree that drive changes too early and sport changes too late but that's why I just keep it in manual mode and use the paddles.

The DSG gearbox is fantastic and it is very responsive you just have to use the correct throttle. If you floor the car in drive in 5th gear it will automatically change down to 2nd gear and send you catapulting away. It's just getting used to the box.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2013, 01:04 by Mr Savage »
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1621 on: 10 November 2013, 09:34 »
MrSavage: Disagree all you like, but slotted over into manual mode, that thing was wanting to change up for me all the time, and not anywhere near the higher reaches of the rev range either (about 3k revs). I know how to use a DSG, my dad has had it on his last 3 cars, and that car was definitely in manual mode. Thinking back, I do wonder whether having it in ECO somehow overrides the manual mode if the car decides you aren't driving it economically, but perhaps SPORT would leave it alone.

It annoyed the hell out of me on the first half of my extended test drive. I put it into auto for the 2nd half of the test drive and just forgot about changing gears myself.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #1622 on: 10 November 2013, 09:48 »
MrSavage: Disagree all you like, but slotted over into manual mode, that thing was wanting to change up for me all the time, and not anywhere near the higher reaches of the rev range either (about 3k revs). I know how to use a DSG, my dad has had it on his last 3 cars, and that car was definitely in manual mode. Thinking back, I do wonder whether having it in ECO somehow overrides the manual mode if the car decides you aren't driving it economically, but perhaps SPORT would leave it alone.

It annoyed the hell out of me on the first half of my extended test drive. I put it into auto for the 2nd half of the test drive and just forgot about changing gears myself.

It probably was because it was in Eco mode. Try it in sport mode, mine will let me accelerate into the red line without changing up for me. Well 6k atleast, not tried any further yet but I'm certain it would.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline The Danno

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1623 on: 10 November 2013, 10:56 »
Hi All,

Picked up my GTI yesterday, full album here:

http://s854.photobucket.com/user/pauliem78/library/New%20MK7%20Golf%20GTI

Some highlights:

Hard to capture how nice the Oyrx White is in photos - in the sun it looks absolutely stunning. So far I am not actually sure if I prefer it to my Scirocco, feels very high and more disconnected from the road.  The media system does not seem to work as well with my iPhone as the previous one.

Overall I think it is a cracking car, but I have not driven it enough to give a proper opinion yet.  It is an amazing colour though and don't regret paying the extra for the "special" paint.

Hi Paul I'm thinking of ordering a white R. Just can't make my mind up about oryx or normal white. What do you think?

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #1624 on: 10 November 2013, 13:35 »
If it helps your decision I was told by dealer not to order Oryx White. Apparently if you ever need to do a repair its near impossible to match never mind the initial cost...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Chief1337

• Here all the time
« Reply #1625 on: 11 November 2013, 16:47 »
Saw my GTi today for the first time ahead of collecting on Saturday. Some pictures:-

« Last Edit: 11 November 2013, 17:08 by Chief1337 »

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #1626 on: 11 November 2013, 17:35 »

Hi Paul I'm thinking of ordering a white R. Just can't make my mind up about oryx or normal white. What do you think?
[/quote]

If your going with white I would just stick with pure white. As mentioned already, any chips or scratches in Oryx White is likely to be very very expensive to repair. IMO though the R just doesn't look great in white, it would have to either be blue or black for me

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #1627 on: 11 November 2013, 19:26 »
Does anyone know if the gtd/gti come with tints and if so what % thanks
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1628 on: 11 November 2013, 19:33 »

Tints in the front very subtle - about 90% transmission, rears are about 65% I think. Green tint for all windows.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #1629 on: 11 November 2013, 19:39 »

Tints in the front very subtle - about 90% transmission, rears are about 65% I think. Green tint for all windows.

Thanks
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)