Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2788019 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3750 on: 12 February 2016, 22:10 »
Gave it a quick 1 hour wash ready for a little trip oop north.

As a matter of interest how long do you go between wax and sealant and how often do you wash it.

It depends on the time of year.  In spring/summer it normally gets washed every week, failing that, fortnightly.  In winter it gets washed every 2-3 weeks, although it went 5 weeks a couple months ago due to time constraints.

Routinely - sealing and waxing gets done approx every 3 months.  I might stick another coat of wax on after around 6 weeks if weather permits.  I do a lot of testing of various waxes/sealants though so if I'm doing a test then it will get dine especially for that purpose.

Dam, in winter I wash my car once if not twice a week and in the summer at least once. I don't do a lot of miles, my CC has just over 20k on it and it is nearly 3 years old. I'm guessing you do a fair few miles a year?

I do average mileage - 10k a year/30k over 3 years.

Unless there's a very good reason, I don't wash it more than once a week. Increased contact = higher risk of swirls (even with the most careful technique), which are highly noticeable on a black car.  I polish my car approx twice a year to keep on top of swirls, but I am meticulous about careful washing/drying/waxing so in all honesty it never gets many swirls. My ideal is a weekly wash, but family, child and full time job sometimes means that it slips to fortnightly. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3751 on: 12 February 2016, 23:07 »

As a matter of interest how long do you go between wax and sealant and how often do you wash it.

It depends on the time of year.  In spring/summer it normally gets washed every week, failing that, fortnightly.  In winter it gets washed every 2-3 weeks, although it went 5 weeks a couple months ago due to time constraints.

Routinely - sealing and waxing gets done approx every 3 months.  I might stick another coat of wax on after around 6 weeks if weather permits.  I do a lot of testing of various waxes/sealants though so if I'm doing a test then it will get dine especially for that purpose.

Dam, in winter I wash my car once if not twice a week and in the summer at least once. I don't do a lot of miles, my CC has just over 20k on it and it is nearly 3 years old. I'm guessing you do a fair few miles a year?

I do average mileage - 10k a year/30k over 3 years.

Unless there's a very good reason, I don't wash it more than once a week. Increased contact = higher risk of swirls (even with the most careful technique), which are highly noticeable on a black car.  I polish my car approx twice a year to keep on top of swirls, but I am meticulous about careful washing/drying/waxing so in all honesty it never gets many swirls. My ideal is a weekly wash, but family, child and full time job sometimes means that it slips to fortnightly.

I was behind a black R a few days ago on the road and the swirls on it were just horrendous. It looked terrible, just reminded me how dedicated you have to be to maintain a black car. My black TT used to drive me insane cause as much as I tried I just could not avoid the dreaded swirls and after 3.5yrs of ownership my dedication to keeping it immaculate started to dwindle.

There's no doubt a swirl free black car is by far the best colour but it's just too difficult to maintain

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #3752 on: 13 February 2016, 09:06 »
Nice looking car! Oooops should have quoted. That was for Simonjj. Wheels look gr8 against the blue.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2016, 09:13 by Snooze »
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3753 on: 13 February 2016, 13:50 »

Before

After

Great work as ever Ms B.
Have a safe journey. I'll be interested to know what you'r MPG's are on a long run like that.

You'll be able to just swap the pics around and do a "before my trip" and "after my trip"  post with the clean car then the dirty car!

I'm heading off in the opposite direction in the country and heading further South and West either Sunday or Monday. My car preparations will include checking air and fluids but no cleaning. I've not cleaned it since October.  :cry:
Mind you I've barely done a few hundred miles since October.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3754 on: 13 February 2016, 14:05 »
A quick wash indeed. A mornings work more like😀
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3755 on: 13 February 2016, 15:44 »
Washed it :grin:
Found my first stonechip...right by the drivers handle :sick:

Bought another set of wheels to cheer myself up :laugh:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3756 on: 13 February 2016, 16:07 »

The first chip is always the worst!

The hallowed set of Pretorias at last?
Not when you've got half a million quid's worth of detailing equipment and the best products money can buy hidden under all the dirt!!!  :grin:
When a car is that well cared for it doesn't take much to get the dirt off and the deep shine restored.
Ms Booth and a few others on here put mere mortals like me to shame.
Getting my car clean in 55 minutes - now that would be a challenge!!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3757 on: 13 February 2016, 16:09 »

Wow! More? Any pictures?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3758 on: 13 February 2016, 16:13 »

Got your prets eventually then?

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3759 on: 13 February 2016, 16:21 »

The first chip is always the worst!

The hallowed set of Pretorias at last?
Not when you've got half a million quid's worth of detailing equipment and the best products money can buy hidden under all the dirt!!!  :grin:
When a car is that well cared for it doesn't take much to get the dirt off and the deep shine restored.
Ms Booth and a few others on here put mere mortals like me to shame.
Getting my car clean in 55 minutes - now that would be a challenge!!!

I agree, having good products on your car is well worth it.
I paid quite a bit of money to get my car ceramic coated in December as I was told it would make washing a doddle.....well in simple terms it just hasn't lived up to expectations :sad:

Seriously considering getting it removed and going back to a good old fashioned wax :shocked:.

PS yes prets at last mate :grin:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)