Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100347 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #150 on: 13 April 2021, 19:09 »
Hi

I bought a Clubsport and collected 1st March, I've been truly shocked by just how appalling the infotainment system is.

It's slow, buggy, laggy, I'm forever touching the mode/climate buttons below accidentally while trying to operate it, I find that trying to operate the unit to change stations or worse still select different artist/album in the media player is lethal if you're driving - if I want to scroll down through my list of albums in media player, I would try to pull over first because it's so fiddly - it's almost impossible to scroll down as it keeps registering your movements as wanting to open a folder, if I try to use the "scroll bars" (in quotes because they're so tiny) it keeps bringing up a system update menu, and then I have to start scrolling all over again - coupled with the baffling cruise control/traffic assistance and touch buttons, it's terrrible  :laugh:

I love the car other than that though  :grin:

Do you know what sounds mad mate, mine seems to be worse on colder days, went out while it's been over 12 degrees and it's got no slowness but anything under that it's the same issue as yours. Crazy I know but it works fine on mine on warmer days

Offline Nick..

• Just got here
« Reply #151 on: 13 April 2021, 19:39 »
Interesting! I'll see if I can spot the same pattern.....
I'll get the version number and post here too

The interior seems to be filled with bizarre UI and usability choices - the interface for disabling the, frankly, quite dangerous at times lane keeping function is also a fiddly mess when on the move

The whole thing needs a rethink top to bottom in my view. I think these haptic buttons look cheap compared to the far easier physical buttons on my old cars (Mk7 Golf/S3), they just had an all round classier appearance and were functional

Jabbing and swiping at these buttons is a big step backwards from a premium marque like VW

Bring back clicky buttons and twirly knobs  :cry:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #152 on: 13 April 2021, 20:35 »
I agree trying to mess with the media track or album selection is tricky. I don't really understand why as the mk7.5 NavPro i had previously was also fully touch, no scroll wheels on that. It definitely is more difficult though for some reason while moving.

As for Lane assist.... Easy!

Press the end of the left stalk and then press OK on the right hand set of haptic steering wheel buttons.

We call it here the "brocky method" lol

You can easily do it with hands on the wheel and no looking at all.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Nick..

• Just got here
« Reply #153 on: 13 April 2021, 21:45 »
oooh nice, I owe you one for that  :smiley:

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #154 on: 15 April 2021, 13:25 »

As for Lane assist.... Easy!

Press the end of the left stalk and then press OK on the right hand set of haptic steering wheel buttons.

We call it here the "brocky method" lol

You can easily do it with hands on the wheel and no looking at all.
Yet all these car reviewers are still complaining about the round-trip through the UI...  :rolleyes:

It has now become completely instinctive for me.  Switching off is the first thing I do when pulling off my drive.  I will switch it on for motorway or dual-carriageway driving and it goes off as I am leaving said roads.

It should also be noted that switching it off this way has no effect on using Travel Assist.  It will still work as intended and then still be turned off when Travel Assist is deactivated.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #155 on: 15 April 2021, 13:29 »
It should also be noted that switching it off this way has no effect on using Travel Assist.  It will still work as intended and then still be turned off when Travel Assist is deactivated.

Yes, I discovered that yesterday!

Its a good result actually.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #156 on: 22 April 2021, 12:49 »
Just by way of an update, my car was back in the garage for 2 days trying to resolve the software related issues. As soon as I left the garage the car continued to do OTA updates (despite it going in to be fully updated and tested), which was pretty frustrating!

The climate sync issue was not resolved, although through a load of testing it seems to stay on if you leave and re-enter the car after a short period, but after an hour it defaults to being off. I am not sure if it works when you are signed in as a guest...something I would probably test if I wasn't sick to the back teeth of it!

VW were/are adamant they fixed it, so are either they are stalling or just dont know what they are doing!

I also continue to have Apple Car play issues where either the phone wont automatically connect or i get blank screens when navigating to the car play specific menu.

I have now been asked to send video evidence to the manager so they can take it up with VW UK directly...

I do find it very odd that they have not come across the climate sync issue before. As far as I can tell it doesnt work on any Golf 8, not just GTI's...clearly not a a game breaking bug, and one I am sure will be sorted eventually, but after the issues I have had so far, I've come too far with them not to continue!

The software saga continues...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #157 on: 22 April 2021, 13:04 »
I kind of get the impression that however good or helpful your dealership is they are hobbled by what VW central have to say and that VW Central both don't have their sh1t together and don't even seem to have a consensus amongst themselves as to how these issues are resolved.

Clearly a main dealer isn't about to tell you that they think VW are asshats, but you can see it unspoken from them....

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #158 on: 22 April 2021, 13:30 »
I kind of get the impression that however good or helpful your dealership is they are hobbled by what VW central have to say and that VW Central both don't have their sh1t together and don't even seem to have a consensus amongst themselves as to how these issues are resolved.

Clearly a main dealer isn't about to tell you that they think VW are asshats, but you can see it unspoken from them....

Yes I get that. It’s the fact they claim to have fixed it winds me up.

If they came back to me and said, look, it’s a known issue and we are working on a solution...just want an honest response.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #159 on: 22 April 2021, 16:00 »
I do find it very odd that they have not come across the climate sync issue before. As far as I can tell it doesnt work on any Golf 8, not just GTI's...clearly not a a game breaking bug, and one I am sure will be sorted eventually, but after the issues I have had so far, I've come too far with them not to continue!

The software saga continues...

It does work on some mk8’s has always worked on my gti,and a friends,I also know of 2 other people with mk8 golfs and they both work too.