Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 423613 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: KELLS, BLACK G3 GTI..
« Reply #880 on: 12 May 2011, 22:47 »
Surely it'd be quicker, cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to just buy another 16v box from a breakers yard just to get the spare car up and running?

That's what I'd do, plenty of MKIII's get broken and it'll be worth more money if it can move under it's own steam. Just robing the box from that car and keeping F17 cable clutch seems the most sensible and easiest way of doing it. Hydro clutch is a bit rubbish anyway, they feel a bit odd. That said, I', not a fan of cable change either TBH, rod feels more direct. At least VW's cable change doesn't feel to bad, Vauxhalls feels like stirring lumpy custard.

Nick

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #881 on: 12 May 2011, 22:49 »
cheers mate, ill look intio this RE the F17BAD cable

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #882 on: 12 May 2011, 22:53 »
Surely it'd be quicker, cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to just buy another 16v box from a breakers yard just to get the spare car up and running?

That's what I'd do, plenty of MKIII's get broken and it'll be worth more money if it can move under it's own steam. Just robing the box from that car and keeping F17 cable clutch seems the most sensible and easiest way of doing it. Hydro clutch is a bit rubbish anyway, they feel a bit odd. That said, I', not a fan of cable change either TBH, rod feels more direct. At least VW's cable change doesn't feel to bad, Vauxhalls feels like stirring lumpy custard.

Nick

I totally agree, I MUCH preferred the gear changes in my previous 8v Golfs especially after a good refurb and replacing all the bushes. But yeah, as cable change boxs go ther are worse out there than what VW opted for on the 16v  I guess.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #883 on: 12 May 2011, 22:54 »
ok cool, so what do i need to do to kee the cable, is it the seat thing i need to do

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
« Reply #884 on: 12 May 2011, 22:57 »
I know you're not in the market for another box, but to save working on the 16V at all, why not look for a TDi box? Apparently a good choice for 1.8T.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #885 on: 12 May 2011, 22:57 »
looked into that matey, but the 16v box is what i want, cheers mate

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
« Reply #886 on: 12 May 2011, 23:10 »
This is what we want for the clutch to make life easier matey, Cable to Hydro set up from a Synchro

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/fangdanga/Forums/02Aclutchbracket.jpg
Part number 02A 141 708B, still available from VW I think  :wink:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #887 on: 13 May 2011, 06:09 »
Actually it's from very early Passat3.  It also comes with a boot and two bolts.

Needs the bracket that holds the cable in place at the front, too.

This set up was also used in various SEATs - Ibiza and Toledo.

As you want all this to convert to cable you've bought the wrong car - Ibiza or Toledo ABF would have been much more sensible.

You also (obviously) need the right cable to go with it, as it's at a further 90 degrees around to the rod-change box.

Not sure the Toledo cable will be right, as the pedal box on the G3 is quite different to the G2.

Not sure Brad's left leg will be strong enough on an uprated 228mm clutch with a cable clutch though.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #888 on: 13 May 2011, 07:49 »
what do i need to do then to rock the 8v box or is it a deffo no go

work has started mate, see pics, main work starts saturday, i collect my BAM sat morning as its still in a seat cupra R thats been wrote off

i always miss thing when am on my phone.

i'd just get another hydo box from somats

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #889 on: 13 May 2011, 08:46 »
Actually it's from very early Passat3.  It also comes with a boot and two bolts.

Needs the bracket that holds the cable in place at the front, too.

This set up was also used in various SEATs - Ibiza and Toledo.

As you want all this to convert to cable you've bought the wrong car - Ibiza or Toledo ABF would have been much more sensible.

You also (obviously) need the right cable to go with it, as it's at a further 90 degrees around to the rod-change box.

Not sure the Toledo cable will be right, as the pedal box on the G3 is quite different to the G2.

Not sure Brad's left leg will be strong enough on an uprated 228mm clutch with a cable clutch though.  :grin:

:grin:

many thanks for this reply, any ideas which cable to try mate ?

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/