Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 423477 times)

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: KELLS, BLACK G3 GTI..
« Reply #870 on: 12 May 2011, 22:35 »
How comes you want to use the 8v box in your conversion anyway, surely the 16v gear ratios are more suitable plus the fact it'll be a lot easier to set up due to the points that have just been made?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #871 on: 12 May 2011, 22:37 »
He wants to put th e8v box in the 16v car to replace the box he's nicking from that for the 20vT.

I'm pretty sure the peddle boxes are different.

Nick

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #872 on: 12 May 2011, 22:38 »
Engine still not in yet? ...........  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Good luck with the conversion matey, it's about time this car had the power to match!

OCD by any chance? Everything is spotless, even the bay! Nicest 8v bay i've ever seen and i'm sure the S3 one would look awesome too! :cool:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #873 on: 12 May 2011, 22:39 »
Last time I looked at a tugboat 8V vs 16V the set up was completely different and yes, that includes cable clutch actuation on the 8V and hydraulic on the 16V and IIRC pedal boxes too.

I can even see the cable for the clutch on your car.

the 16V WILL be hydraulic.

There are minor details like the mounts on the front of the engine, the o/s driveshaft, as well as the mechanism which are different 020 to 02A install, but obviously you've done all this research already, right?

Make sure you undo those hub bolts before you remove the gearbox or you might make a right mess of those 928 rims trying to get the hub bolts undone.  You are going to put a set of shyte wheels on while you do the conversion, surely?

Given that you don't have any idea even about the sandwich cooler and what/where/why it might be an issue this conversion thread has the potential to develop into a proper comedy now, unless you're buying in the intelligence and real world nolidge to do the conversion.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #874 on: 12 May 2011, 22:40 »
RIght so I think your options are as follows:

1) Swap the whole lot from the 16v into the 8v. Gearbox, clutch system and peddle box. Then put all the 8v stuff in the 16v.

2) Use the 16v box in the conversion and use some seat bits to retain the cars current cable clutch system therefore saving the peddle box swap. The 16v car will then need a replacement 16v box or sell as a project minus gearbox.

Nick

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #875 on: 12 May 2011, 22:40 »
He wants to put th e8v box in the 16v car to replace the box he's nicking from that for the 20vT.

I'm pretty sure the peddle boxes are different.

Nick

opps sorry yeah of course i almost forgot the point of the current conversation then. ha.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #876 on: 12 May 2011, 22:41 »
yea wanna do what nick says, trying to kee costs down now too, im at 3k mark so dont really wanna be buying more boxes haha

Wherry cheers matey, means alot to me.. this car is almost their for me in how i want it.... engine iv got is uber low miles and the car is screeming out for it, i am sad to see the 8v go tho, its been good to me, they are not /. or this one wasnt as bad as folk make out

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #877 on: 12 May 2011, 22:44 »
Surely it'd be quicker, cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to just buy another 16v box from a breakers yard just to get the spare car up and running?

If you don't want to spend any more money then why don't you sell the 8v engine and gearbox to fund the 16v gearbox replacement?
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 22:49 by thai-wronghorse »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #878 on: 12 May 2011, 22:45 »
Last time I looked at a tugboat 8V vs 16V the set up was completely different and yes, that includes cable clutch actuation on the 8V and hydraulic on the 16V and IIRC pedal boxes too.

I can even see the cable for the clutch on your car.

the 16V WILL be hydraulic.

There are minor details like the mounts on the front of the engine, the o/s driveshaft, as well as the mechanism which are different 020 to 02A install, but obviously you've done all this research already, right?

Make sure you undo those hub bolts before you remove the gearbox or you might make a right mess of those 928 rims trying to get the hub bolts undone.  You are going to put a set of shyte wheels on while you do the conversion, surely?

Given that you don't have any idea even about the sandwich cooler and what/where/why it might be an issue this conversion thread has the potential to develop into a proper comedy now, unless you're buying in the intelligence and real world nolidge to do the conversion.  :grin:

dont worry, wheels coming off tomo, today was just to remove the easy bits dude and the fluids   :wink:

cheers for reply, iv not researced a 8v into a ABF which is what im asking about, i do know what i need for the conversion into the black one tho lol, thats why i bought a full 16v car to use the bits from

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #879 on: 12 May 2011, 22:47 »
Surely it'd be quicker, cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to just buy another 16v box from a breakers yard just to get the spare car up and running?

yes mate looks as tho, deffo dont want to break it as its too good

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/