Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 793106 times)

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #900 on: 16 July 2015, 18:48 »
Let me know if you're about at the weekend???

James
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #901 on: 16 July 2015, 19:03 »
DV52...

Have you got details of how to modify the J794 to get up the "green screen" ?

Fred:
Not sure that I understand what the "green screen" is, but I was given the following tweak instructions by a very smart (Russian) colleague on VWWatercooled (thanks Zloybob). By changing Byte 17 on J794 from 01 to 02, you are able to get the GTI look. Here's my coding string details:
Cheers
Don

The "green screen" referred too here:

http://www.club-q5.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=4572
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #902 on: 16 July 2015, 19:14 »

Exonian : Hi.

I apologise if you already know this, but each exterior light on a mk7 is controlled by a group of 19 x adaptation channels. In a paper that I wrote to explain how these channels work, I termed the group a Leuchte channel set .

Without going into a deep explanation of the structure of these channel sets, they must be defined correctly in the first adaptation channel (i.e. the adaptation channel in parenthesis (1)) and the correct memory location must be allocated in the adaptation channels with parentheses (2) and (3).

From then-on, each remaining bank of 16 x channels is sub-grouped into 4 x 4 channels. Each 4 channels controls what the light actually does and the order in which these functions are programmed determines the priority of the function when there is a clash.

In a number of adaptation maps that I have seen, there are some Leuchte channel sets that are not active. In my own car for example, the channel set Leuchte27 NSL RC6 (which does control the two inner tail lights and which  you used in your tweak attempt) is not active.
Here's how the first three channels for this Leuchte-set looks on my car

(1)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 27 = not active
(2)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lampendefektbitposition 27 = 0
(3)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 27 = 0

As a brief explanation of how these 3 channels work, the lasttyp setting determines what type of light is installed whilst Lampendefektbitposition  and Fehlerort mittleres Byte are memory locations for fault monitoring (I think)

If your car has the same settings, making the changes that you have described in your post will do nothing because the first three Leuchte channels have not been properly defined.  It might be prudent to check how these adaptation channels are set in your car because it might explain what you have experienced.

So, the other way to program the two inner tail lights to act as a brake function is to modify the Leuchte channel sets:
Leuchte23SL HLC10 (left inner tail light)
Leuchte24SL HRA65 (right inner tail light)

However, because of the different ways that these channel sets can be factory programmed by VW, there is no universal set of instructions that will work for all models. It really depends on how VW programmed your particular model as to where in the 19 x adaptation channels  to place the "Brake Light"  and the "100" setting.
Cheers
Don

Thanks very much for the excellent reply Don.
I've not had chance to plug it all in yet but will have another play at the weekend hopefully.
I'll report back as no doubt any info will be helpful to others. :afro:

You know you want this

Pure White Golf GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #903 on: 17 July 2015, 04:58 »
 :grin:
I might have a go at that at the weekend James!

Apologies if you've tried getting hold of me this week, my SIM card died a death and so I've been wifi only all week and no connection at all out of the house. New SIM arrived Friday late afternoon.

One thought I had the other day and not sure if we discussed it but with the rears as DRLs I'll assume the number plate lights aren't lit and that would be the difference between Scandinavian DRL's and side lights?
Have you had a look at whether the number plate lights are illuminated when in DRL mode?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #904 on: 17 July 2015, 07:23 »
:grin:
I might have a go at that at the weekend James!

Apologies if you've tried getting hold of me this week, my SIM card died a death and so I've been wifi only all week and no connection at all out of the house. New SIM arrived Friday late afternoon.

One thought I had the other day and not sure if we discussed it but with the rears as DRLs I'll assume the number plate lights aren't lit and that would be the difference between Scandinavian DRL's and side lights?
Have you had a look at whether the number plate lights are illuminated when in DRL mode?

No worries :)

I have but couldn't tell if it was on, I have got my dash illuminated as well, which actually isn't a problem.  I also trawled through Briskoda Forum and they seem to have some further mods for rear DRL's - but i will have to check these out again.

I quite like the idea, i am not convinced it is working as would be if it was a Swedish Golf for example but it's fine.

I will have another look this morning and let you know - I am about this weekend.

James
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline NeilH

• Not said much yet
« Reply #905 on: 19 July 2015, 08:34 »
Has anyone got a post BW22 car and run a VCDS scan on it yet? I'm still umming and arring about getting VCDS, probably best if I wait until I get my hands on the car, then if there's enough bits & bobs I can add/modify, I'll get the cable ordered.

Neil.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #906 on: 19 July 2015, 15:21 »
NeilH, I doubt there will be any internal differences to the control modules of post week 22 cars.
Depends on what you want doing as to whether it's worth getting a cable or not.
I bought one when I had my MK6 as I did a few retrofits but with the MK7 you're a little more limited.
It might be worth checking out local VCDS owners once you have a list of tweaks you want.

Today I managed to finally get my inner brake lights working via the instructions in my quote from p3ssa on the previous page. For some reason the first few times I tried it on both my and James75's cars I was getting "controller not available" messages flashed up, but today it went to plan after a couple of lock outs. And to prove it wasn't a fluke I got James75's coded too.

Big thanks to p3ssa (and Sootchucker) plus Don dv52 for your invaluable help on this thread.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #907 on: 19 July 2015, 16:55 »
NeilH, I doubt there will be any internal differences to the control modules of post week 22 cars.
Depends on what you want doing as to whether it's worth getting a cable or not.
I bought one when I had my MK6 as I did a few retrofits but with the MK7 you're a little more limited.
It might be worth checking out local VCDS owners once you have a list of tweaks you want.

Today I managed to finally get my inner brake lights working via the instructions in my quote from p3ssa on the previous page. For some reason the first few times I tried it on both my and James75's cars I was getting "controller not available" messages flashed up, but today it went to plan after a couple of lock outs. And to prove it wasn't a fluke I got James75's coded too.

Big thanks to p3ssa (and Sootchucker) plus Don dv52 for your invaluable help on this thread.

:)

Yes - they look good the full width brake lights - not sure why they don't come like this in the first place.

James
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline NeilH

• Not said much yet
« Reply #908 on: 19 July 2015, 19:08 »
I don't have a GTI (yet), however, regarding the brake lights I wonder if in some countries the brake lights are two stage (inners for normal braking, full width for heavy braking) - BMW do that on a lot of their cars, but VW just didn't implement that in the UK models (unless nobody has noticed...).

Neil.

Offline lans

• Just got here
« Reply #909 on: 19 July 2015, 21:18 »
Hi
I am lans,owner of passat B8 2015 and a VCDS cable
i am trying to steal some knowledge,combining tweaks from Golf 7,octavia III and Leon and see which ones will work on my passat.
just wondering if anyone has ever thought of this
1. speed limiter to remain in power after ignition off. in my city the limit is 60kmh and fees are steep. is it possible to encode a permanent and default speed limit? or at least last known value on ignition off?
2. automatic all four indicators blinking when put in reverse,combined with mirror dip.

p.s.
mirrors unfold on unlocking the car,not on ignition on my passat
cheers