Author Topic: Clubsport 45 reviews  (Read 6203 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Clubsport 45 reviews
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2021, 09:55 »
I wonder if the armrest material / door cards is simply a MY22 change across the GTI range? Wouldn't surprise me. They often make little inexplicable changes like that in the new "MY" cycles.

Their marketing is all over the place tbh. Why do the 45 Seats have "GTI" logos on them when its "45" on the steering wheel. And the standard CS has no logo on the seats at all... nor a "Clubsport" badge to be found on either car. You truly need your VW anorak well fastened to keep up with the differences.

The "GTi" logo on the seats doesn't surprise me, it;s literally carried over from the Ed40 CS, both cloth options of standard Lay-Z boy recliner and bucket seat have the "GTi" logo.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2021, 10:23 »
I think everyone will find we've been labelling the ED45 as a sticker and exhaust pack for some time now...

Don't get me wrong, both it and the normal CS (or even my normal GTI) are lovely cars that are really an incredible thing to drive. Get over all of the moans about buttons and software gremlins - the car as a piece of mechanical engineering is REALLY good.

Andrew is right, get a CS maybe add some extras.... for the same money as the ED45.

Much more sense....sure it isn't the "special" we all love from a Golf ED (or the TCR which was an out of the blue belter), but this time, its not special enough.

Maybe next time.... ED50 will be here by the time you've paid off your first Mk8 finance lol
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2021, 11:03 »
Did not realise the Akra was clubsport oval, so thats unique and not off the shelf to the 45.

Just been reading another review and seen the 45 in grey, and if was getting a CS, despite the noted misses, it would definitely be a 45 for all the little adds, (actually in the loving marmite, as like the wheels, look really good against the grey)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2021, 18:07 »
Will watch the video later but Andrew has been saying from the moment it was announced that he didn’t regret waiting for the CS45. Personally I would. I think the anniversary models feel that bit more special personally. There’s no doubt that a CS makes more sense but then wouldn’t a base gti make more sense? Or a Clio? Yes, I’m being flippant, apologies! Buying a car doesn’t make sense in general really. I wouldn’t have changed my R for a CS yet but when the 45 came along I wanted one. Ramblings over.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2021, 21:07 »
Will watch the video later but Andrew has been saying from the moment it was announced that he didn’t regret waiting for the CS45. Personally I would. I think the anniversary models feel that bit more special personally. There’s no doubt that a CS makes more sense but then wouldn’t a base gti make more sense? Or a Clio? Yes, I’m being flippant, apologies! Buying a car doesn’t make sense in general really. I wouldn’t have changed my R for a CS yet but when the 45 came along I wanted one. Ramblings over.

I wondered whether the CS was worth the extra over the GTI and then watched umpteen reviews and videos on both. For me there was a significant difference between the two, perhaps more so than the mk7.5 GTI and Performance. I still have to explain to none anoraks the difference of what a CS is. I'm not convinced there is enough of a difference between the CS and the ED45 and would take even more explaining. I get its appeal but without the step up in performance (even an overboost) its just a badge engineering exercise for me and for the price takes it far closer to R territory.

But if you think about it the ED45 has come in very early in the GTI run and the mk8 is still fairly new. The other anniversarys have come later in the model cycle and have received a bigger upgrade. Perhaps we will see a Clusport S for the 50th anniversary who knows but if they did that could be something very special  :laugh:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2021, 21:20 »
That’s what I thought, i can’t take him seriously considering he said spending £3000 on his new wheel & tire was a better choice than have standard ED45 and complaining about the red on the black ED 45 wheels.
I will get the ED45 for £2000+ extra than spend £3000 on Andrew tire and wheels
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2021, 21:28 »
I was surprised that he thinks his Vossen wheels are more in keeping with a gti. I’m not a fan at all but each to their own.

Andrew has some great videos but I do find them very contradictory at times.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2021, 21:29 »
That’s what I thought, i can’t take him seriously considering he said spending £3000 on his new wheel & tire was a better choice than have standard ED45 and complaining about the red on the black ED 45 wheels.
I will get the ED45 for £2000+ extra than spend £3000 on Andrew tire and wheels

That is an odd statement you're right but the Adelaide upgrade with DCC would look like a cheap option in comparison
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2021, 21:55 »
I agree with most of Andrew’s sentiment in that video but I’m also not a fan of his wheel choice. I can’t believe he thinks it’s a good idea to spend 3k on those rims.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.