Author Topic: Where have all the Mk3s gone?!  (Read 15856 times)

Offline Leon27

• Here all the time
Where have all the Mk3s gone?!
« on: 24 November 2019, 22:16 »
I actually saw another one today on the A406, it was a 1.8 SE but looked tidy all the same! It made me think... am I the only one still rocking around in theirs because I havent seen another Mk3 in ages!

I'm at the stage where I actually need to stop driving mine because of the ULEZ charge in London next year, so I'm looking for something else but it made me wonder about what is everyone else doing? Did I miss the memo and should I be storing it because Mk2 prices will apply?!

Only 22 Mk3 16v Anniversarys on the road according to stillontheroad
« Last Edit: 21 May 2020, 14:51 by Leon27 »

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
Re: Where are all the Mk3s gone?!
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2019, 08:40 »
I doubt it will be sought after except for the 16vGTI or VR6. I don't think they will ever reach MK2 status.  I had to scrap two of them because the neighbours complained because I couldn't get anyone to even take them off my hands for free.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2020, 21:26 »
It's like anything else,supply and demand.

Mk 1's went up because of scarcity and status

Mk 2's went up because enthusiasts were priced out of the MK1 sector.

Mk 3's will go up in time and already are but all models will only achieve a higher price based on condition,mileage,service history,spec etc.

Mk 4's will also go up in time but expect a very long wait as there are so many still around and so many were made.They were produced at the beginning of the "throw away" era.

The more there is of something the less it is worth.

Mk 5's ?. Lol,not in my lifetime and i'm only 3 years old !.

The answer is in how many were made and how well they were made.Quality went down with every model made.

Mk 1 suffered from rust which is why many were scrapped,they were also made in lower numbers compared to later models.

Mk 2 and early mk 3's suffered from rust in some areas.

MK 3 got better the later years they were made,same as some MK 2's.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2020, 11:20 »
The problem with Mk3s is they rust really badly. I'd like an 8v Gti to run round in as a daily, but any that aren't rotten are silly money sadly.

Few years ago I bought a half decent 16v Gti with Recaros for £700 ... I miss those days

Offline McPikie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2020, 11:11 »
I will be on the hunt for another Mk3 once lockdown is over, and I am hoping that's the reason for the current lack of them advertised for sale.

Offline Leon27

• Here all the time
Re: Where have all the Mk3s gone?!
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2020, 16:59 »
Well....

Just before the lockdown I got hit in the NSR. I think my heart broke along with the bumper and boot lid.

I really did my homework before the assessor arrived because I had spent so much time and money on my Anni, the heater matrix and rear beam bushes were done along with whatever it needed. The car had 103k on it and still needed a bit of work but was still in great condition.

I had found 2x clean 16Vs going for £3995 and one mint Anni with 51k going for.... £11995!

I didnt get £11995! But felt I did quite well thanks to the other sellers' adverts at the time.

I agree with Gasketface, Mk3s are getting rarer especially the good ones so don't undervalue your cars guys, the prices are already high now. I didn't buy mine back due to lack of space and time to repair it.

I am gutted to have lost mine after having had it for 10 years this year but think it was time for something new :'(

Offline Bertie73

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2020, 10:37 »
rarely see any out and about round my way to be honest.. many still owned but the owners lurk on FB pages rather than comment on here i reckon.... i mean check the comments versus views on this post lol :)

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2020, 19:14 »
got a 3dr 16v anni, black magic pearl for sale as it happens :laugh: only got it on facebook atm bcos i dont really want to sell...she is one of the family
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2021, 15:07 »
I've had my mk3 GTD for 8 years.
It was a pile of crap when I bought it, I've spent over 8350k in parts alone on restoring and upkeep.
Love the look I get from the teens when driving, two guys were walking around it, admiring it, last week at the park.
They are a great car to have really comfy, yes they are over engineered but you cant have your cake and eat it too...
Mind you they are nothing compared to the later models they are just too sophisticated.

« Last Edit: 09 June 2021, 16:06 by WeekendMechanic »

Offline pfnsht

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2021, 11:33 »
I have a 3 door red 16v in my garage. It is on SORN as had an immobiliser fault for many years. I knew what that was and fixed it on purchase and am currently patching up small holes on the front and rear sills behind covers, good serivce and belt plus brake refurb and she'll be back on the road. It's only done 78k.

Needs bonnet, roof and wings painting due to laquer peel/rust.

I have a mk2 8v project as well. It needs a full resto but 1 owner but done 168k. I need to sell some cars and tempted to let the mk2 go but everyone tells me to get rid of the mk3 and keep the mk2. I prefer the look of the mk3 and also the mk2 needs £7k of work where as the mk3 only needs about a £grand to get it nice.

I guess that opinion comes from the bad press the mk3 used to get which has stuck with it. I don't see how the mk2 8v GTI could be a better car than the mk3 16v but I guess I will find out when I get it out the road. My mk3 will have the Bilstien B12 kit on it before it sees the road though so perhaps not a fair comparison.

Rust has been no worse on this car than my Corrado(s) and my mk2 is far more rusty.