Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 427146 times)

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
Re: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« Reply #2650 on: 17 August 2012, 16:35 »
True that but a vrt syncro must get the senses tingling  :evil:

Can you not convert the steering wheel to the correct side?
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2651 on: 17 August 2012, 18:00 »
No way would I
Trade this lump for a VR !! Nothing against VR but they are not for me

This engine is just perfection in my eyes, for need synchro because the wavetrac LSD is doing a grand job  :evil:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2652 on: 17 August 2012, 19:10 »
No way would I
Trade this lump for a VR !! Nothing against VR but they are not for me

This engine is just perfection in my eyes, for need synchro because the wavetrac LSD is doing a grand job  :evil:

Totally agree with that sort of power no need, even with the LSD imagine the cornering with 4 wheel drive. A mate of mine had a well tuned jap imported Evo 6 and Oh My Days! Never been in anything so fun in all my life grinning like an idiot as soon as you sat in it.

Gavv8

« Reply #2653 on: 17 August 2012, 19:17 »
We sooo need a video of this.....rolling shots......cool music.......and and and .........

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2654 on: 17 August 2012, 21:30 »
ill get a video..   :evil:

still cant get over how brutal it is

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2655 on: 17 August 2012, 21:33 »
and that's WITHOUT the custom map  :smug:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2656 on: 17 August 2012, 21:46 »
and that's WITHOUT the custom map  :smug:

yea thats what we was thinking.. honestly this thing scares me!!

a Saffy Cossie modded up tried to play with us last night, he droped foot whilst side by side.. so i just planted my foot in 3rd gear and he was like a tiny spec in my mirror 5 seconds later  :laugh:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #2657 on: 17 August 2012, 23:39 »
kells stop farking c0ck teasing us and get a vid up man. Get ben (if i got the right person) in vr and tell him to keep up!!! lol
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2658 on: 17 August 2012, 23:42 »
Quick question, how did you get your gearbox so clean before you painted it? also what primer did you use if any? just asking as you seemed to get a good finish.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2659 on: 19 August 2012, 17:55 »
Well as some already know the MTM turbo upgrade kit and the Integrated Engineering Rods are installed.

Here are a few random shots from the work we did

Porsche Tuned Audi RS2 Turbo – K24 7200 

took engine to bits, to install Integrated Engineering Forged conrods, built entire engine back up with all new gaskets and bolts etc.

Removed Standard Rods

Forged rods installed with new (Genuine Audi) Races and ARP bolts (much needed as this is the most stressed bolt in the whole engine

Head was now on the bench,

Head with MTM high flow manifold, Audi RS2 External Waste gate and the Turbo mounted up

Spent what felt like forever draining all old oil from the head, and also the old head gasket residue from both surfaces

Engine as expected was in very good order inside with it been 40 odd thousand miles

Testing the fit of the downpipe we had to make up to get this kit to fit.. The Miltek made item that came with the MTM kit was made for the Audi S3 and was fouling on my engine mount..

Kim collngs of QST (UK MTM Agent) had to have these made up because the MTM kit was based on Left hand drive cars and their downpipe will not fit a Right had drive set up

it was terribly made as most Miltek stuff is IMO. Really am amazed they sell so many systems.. some very bad welds and terribly rough finish, with odd sized bits of pipe randomly used…
 glad it didn’t fit TBH haha!

Here is the offending item. I used the flanges though, so cheers Miltek

Had a Flange lazer cut in stainless to match the current join on my existing  downpipe where it meets the rest of my system

Decided to vent the External waste gate externally under the car, not for the noise but to help keep the flow in the downpipe smooth and also heat temps to a bare minimum

These are the pipes that we came up with

I had to rebuild the Waste gate. The diaphragm was shot. Sourced a genuine Audi RS2 item which was not a easy job!  £70 later I had one in my hands

Old

New

and then rebuilt the whole housing using new fasteners etc. also gave it a coat of black paint on the actual cast body..
Left the Cap in its Natural Metal finish for that OEM look

Head was mounted back on the car. The turbo only just fit in the bay!

I modified my TIP so the pipe was the same diameter right down to the inlet of the turbo.. all the ones available to buy for K04 etc. bottle neck down in size, even those 3” ones that cost a fortune have an adapter with a tiny bore hole (what’s the point in the extra large pipe if it cant flow into the turbo ???)

Any how, cut my tip in half, had a mandrel bend made up, full correct bore right into the turbo

Next up, I had my Charge pipe (the one that sweeps round the drivers side of the engine with the little hand logo on it) modified by having the restrictive baffle removed and a straight piece welded on. Also had to weld up one of the holes where a pipe originally joined to the N75 valve (this now joins to the external waste gate instead

Modified rear engine mount bracket to clear my new downpipe, also had this strengthened whilst I was at it

Sent the ECU away to Kim Collins at QST for the MTM map to be loaded up… he didn’t have the correct file for my late engine so MTM in Germany had to sort this and send him the file

I opened up the ECU on its return, u can see the chip in the middle with the barcode sticker on it

(this will be getting replaced by a custom map)

The power is quoted to be between 325 and 345 bhp with this map..  the turbo can flow to 360bhp

Found a load of boost leaks on some pipes which are a nightmare to get to, these were only recently replaced with genuine items so iv now fitted Forge silicone items.. these are not visible when looking into the bay as they are located under the inlet

£35 for some tiny pipes felt like a rip off but needs must

Standard 380cc S3 injectors next to the MTM modified 540CC

I had these ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested before I fitted as I didn’t know the history of them

Oil return line that came with the kit looked to be slightly too small bore.. when compared to the outlet hole on the turbo so I had one made up locally with the same size bore as the hole on the turbo

You can just make out the difference in size

I had a lot of issues getting this kit to fit, it was by no means a easy install due to the nature of the kit which is basically a set up made by Porsche to use on the Audi RS2, then modified by MTM to fit on a Audi S3 8L… then modified here in the UK by us to fit a Golf mk3 with a  S3 engine!!

But its been massively worthwhile,, this car is an absolute animal. Never have I been in a car so wild in my life.

The engine note has changed from sounding tame to a burble on normal driving , the turbo just sounds fantastic, once you hit 4k revs the thing goes ballistic and the Waste gate just makes  what I can only describe as a crazy arsed bark..

Here is the engine back together and in the car

You can see the external waste gate poking up at the back of the engine 

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/