Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 427147 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« Reply #2220 on: 14 December 2011, 22:46 »
You could check your oil on a daily basis and ensure she is at the max at all times or have your car crap its pants requiring a new sump on a fortnightly basis which inevetably means running the engine for at least a short distance with no oil in it? I know which one I would rather do  :lipsrsealed:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #2221 on: 14 December 2011, 22:49 »
VW do sell a top half aluminium bottom half steel sump for the 1.8T

Steel one on the right, normal aluminium one on the left

But has no oil sensor, but if you check your oil regularly then you'll have no problems
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2222 on: 14 December 2011, 22:52 »
The original sump i had is much better quality, i still have this, it only has 1 small hairline crack. so if the modification goes ok on the current sump, i will revive the original sump that i destroyed first

The new sump is OEM , German made, Much much softer cheap metal LOL.. not that it matter if i have it strengthened

see what the guy says tomo morning

oil starvation has been known sam with shallow sumps which can be catastrophic, i check my oil weekly anyway.. its nothing to do with that.. as i say its actually when its running you need to worry about starvation.. Turbos are not cheap.. especially when i am going to be fitting a Gt 28 or a GT30 (both circa £1000)

their was oil still left in the sump... it didn't start coming out till the engine stopped.. about 20 mins after intact.. same as last time.

Also worht mentioning mine has the all important oil sensors in it (unlike lesser 20vt) which is vital to me.. shallow sumps also loose this

on S3 forums the shallow sump is not a favoured option

i would just rather have mine but so it can take abuse

Steve those are not for S3 AMK / BAM tho, no oil sensors etc

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #2223 on: 15 December 2011, 08:24 »
Shallow sumps have no sensor? :huh: Wat ya on drags lol

Plenty of shallow sumps which have a sensor point, which is a must especially on a shallow sump, look around, I remember looking into it and did find a few manufacturers with the sensor point on the shallow sump.

I don't think oil starvation is an issue, its not like your running slicks. Only downside with less oil is the oil will deteriate quicker due to less of it as the engine smashes the oil chains, plus there's more heat transfer occuring with less oil. Fit oil cooler, up the oil capacity and helps cool especially if you want to go down the gt28 route. Could also buy them things, can't remember what they are called that go between the engine and sump, they act as barriers to stop oil splashing to one side completely to reduce oil starvation.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #2224 on: 15 December 2011, 09:09 »
Do you mean a sump baffle?

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2226 on: 15 December 2011, 09:28 »
I was going to suggest dry sumping it as well.

To be honest if you want to stay that low you need to either run a shallow steel sump with baffles and a windage tray or if you want to stick with the ali full size sump then you need a hefty sumpguard like the rally boys use. Anything else is just a bodge and a prayer.

Not sure why you're so worried about oil starvation and not having the level sensor. All the VAG engines for the last 20 years have essentially the same design and you only hear of oil starvation problems on trackdays, even then it's pretty rare.

Nick

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #2227 on: 15 December 2011, 11:08 »
Do you mean a sump baffle?

thats the one, on the polo 6n engines, you could buy a baffle plate that you could place into a shallow or normal sump with the fins in place between the sump and engine like a gasket, saved hassle buying a completely modified sump, not sure if stuff like this exsists for the 1.8T. But one could be made I suppose.

But dry baffled sump, with sensor if you want, plus oil cooler to increase oil capacity is the way I'd go personally. Especially if you fancy a trackday(s) at some point.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2228 on: 15 December 2011, 11:33 »
Bill at badger mentioned oil starvation with shallow sumps on my engine
It's not a option for me at all and iv never seen a
Shallow one with the sensors  ???

Link me up?

Anyhow I can get the INA one baffled it's cost £300 quid!

I get my modified sump back in the morning so I'll see how this fairs before I do anything else.

LSD is next
Then BIGger turbo in new year

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #2229 on: 15 December 2011, 14:19 »
I'll have a look when I get in for you. As I looked into it before as I thought my engine was scraping, only to find out it was the plate under the cat luckily.

Take it you will be upgrading the internals as well, get the 2.0 stroker kit if you are doing so, it is a bit of money but the added capacity will aid in turbo spoil plus you will be upsetting mk5 owners with a 2.0 20vT engine. Its a popular kit amongst the audi 1.8T boys.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝