Author Topic: Clutch upgrade?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline danny83uk

• Just got here
Clutch upgrade?
« on: 27 March 2021, 14:15 »
Hi,

New in here, and looking for some advise and opinions, please.

I have a 2009 GTi, and the clutch makes a slight noise when releasing on a cold morning (only for a few changes). There is no issue with the operation, and I suspect it is the release bearing.

I have been waiting 3 months for the new intake to arrive from Forge and plan to have it remapped once it arrives (stage 1).

With this sound from the clutch, I am thinking it might as well be upgraded.

If anyone has had a similar issue, but it hasn't been the release bearing what has it been?

But, I really want help with are some recommendations on what clutch to upgrade to?  (decent value for money and maintains an OEM/ish feel).

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2021, 13:27 »
I'm interested in this too. The clutch is by far my least favourite thing about my Mk6. It also makes the noise when releasing on a cold morning and it's become quite loud now. Everything I've read suggests it's the release/throwout bearing.

I also think the clutch feels crap in general. I don't know what a brand new OEM one feels like, but I'd much rather have a tighter clutch feel. More like a Honda.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline JonnoFleming

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2021, 14:34 »
Same issue here, release bearing has been howling like a bugger. Currently upgrading the car, suspension, brakes, then stage 1 and other bits.

I've order the RTS clutch and Sachs bearing and waiting for them to be delivered and fitted and then I'll update you on how those perform

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2021, 11:37 »
My release bearing has started to growl sometimes when cold so also interested on your feedback. Clutch, when new, was fine for me - no snatch and progressive release so not sure whether to go for oem or another.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2021, 22:12 »
I got my clutch done the other day. Got Sachs three piece kit and dual mass flywheel. The new clutch feels way better. I really hope it's fixed the growl. I haven't heard it yet but it did tend to happen on colder days. There was nothing really obviously wrong with the old parts. The old DMF was a bit wobbly. The pressure plate showed some signs of uneven pressure. The throwout bearing still moved smoothly. So not sure. But I'm still glad I did the clutch as it feels almost like a different car now.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2021, 08:21 »
I got my clutch done the other day. Got Sachs three piece kit and dual mass flywheel. The new clutch feels way better. I really hope it's fixed the growl. I haven't heard it yet but it did tend to happen on colder days. There was nothing really obviously wrong with the old parts. The old DMF was a bit wobbly. The pressure plate showed some signs of uneven pressure. The throwout bearing still moved smoothly. So not sure. But I'm still glad I did the clutch as it feels almost like a different car now.

Hi Borbus. Has the growl been fixed? Interested as getting a new clutch and release bearing at the end of next week. Still wondering if I need a new DMF?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2021, 20:22 »
Yeah it has. Haven't heard a peep since. It used to be worse when cold/wet but I've had a couple of colder and wet drives and no growl. I did a get a new DMF with mine. The guy I got it from said it's a false economy to skip the DMF as that's actually more likely to be the next thing to go if you don't change it. From what I've seen, a lot of people get through a DMF before they even get through a clutch.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2021, 07:44 »
Thanks for the feedback Borbus. Makes sense to do the DMF rather than have a second strip down and the car is remaining in the family. Still in very good condition and only one owner - me!

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2021, 20:11 »
New Sachs clutch and DMF fitted. The old DMF was a bit weak with more than the normal movement and probably the main cause of the noise. Clutch now back to original pedal feel when the car was new.  :smiley: . Mechanic confirmed the car still in very good clean condition so very pleased that lots of life in the old girl yet.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2021, 14:53 »
That's great to hear. Yeah, the DMF was the only obviously worn part. A lot of people back in the day attributed the growl to the throwout bearing but mine seemed fine so I guess the DMF is probably the most likely cause on older cars now.
2010 Mk6 GTI