Author Topic: Why the delays?  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Rick101

• Not said much yet
Why the delays?
« on: 09 April 2014, 14:01 »
I'm sure it's been covered before but is there a reason there are just long delays on GTD's?

I've never had a new car before but everybody I've spoken to is incredulous that someone would have to wait 5 months for a VW.
I know it's a popular car but surely that was to be expected. Demand isn't slowing so why haven't VW ramped up production?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Why the delays?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2014, 20:16 »
I'm sure it's been covered before but is there a reason there are just long delays on GTD's?

I've never had a new car before but everybody I've spoken to is incredulous that someone would have to wait 5 months for a VW.
I know it's a popular car but surely that was to be expected. Demand isn't slowing so why haven't VW ramped up production?

Allocation.

There are 4 VAG cars vying for the 184PS 2.0TDI unit and VW can only make so many without diverting resource from making their VAG engines. As long as demand exceeds supply, the residuals will be exceptional. If they were churning them out at a higher rate, you'd probably be looking at 47% residuals (like most of the rest of the Golf range) rather than 56% (worst case, based on GFV). If residuals (resulting in lower monthly payments) were one of the reasons you went for a GTD then you can't have it all ways.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Rick101

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2014, 15:54 »
I'm not sure VW are too worried about what stuff goes for 2nd hand?? I understand the 184 is a popular engine but for over a year now they have been way way behind. Nobody else seems to be struggling like VW are.

If they don't do anything to resolve this, surely it will just continue.

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2014, 17:16 »
The wait is a huge frustration for sure, but VW still sell millions and millions of cars every year, so I'm guessing it doesn't quite present the problem you're suggesting it does. Are they losing sales because of it? Difficult to know.

I ordered my GTD very early in February and get it in around 7 days, so not quite the 5 months you're talking about.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2014, 17:54 »
According to VW's blurb, 18,000 cars are produced each DAY but that's worldwide so I presume they know what they're doing  :smiley:

Rick101 maybe VW are bothered about what prices their cars go for 2nd hand. I'm not sure who sets the Guaranteed Final Value Figure but with GTD's having high GFV even higher than GTI's it makes them much more desirable especially for the company car driver so demand is kept high.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2014, 19:04 »
I would suggest VW do care very much what their cars go for 2nd hand. They can make cars and sell them at a relatively high price, but for a reasonable monthly cost due to the high residuals. They keep the GTI/GTI allocations strictly adhered to, so as not to damage those high residuals. They are not damaging their sales too much by doing so. While they keep making cracking cars, people are prepared to wait for them.

Their business model of high residual models allows them to sell Golfs at a higher price than the equivalent Focus/Astra/Megane etc, and because you pay a smaller amount of capital off over the typical 3 year finance period, they make more interest on the finance agreements. For most people owning a GTI/GTD over 3 years on solutions, assuming a decent negotiated discount means the car depreciates £8-9k over 3 years, and about a third of what you pay a month is for your car is interest.

If GTIs and GTDs depreciated like their peers, they'd cost a hell of a lot more per month than them at their higher RRP and VW would make less money as a result. Plenty here buy on their well above average residuals to keep actual running costs down - there's lost sales there if VW decided to change almost Audi RRPs if their cars depreciated like a stone.
Over a 3 year solutions finance deal, you can have a GTD for around the same monthly cost as a GT 150TDI, despite the GTD costing approx £2500 more.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2014, 19:15 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Rick101

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2014, 09:24 »
Ahh ok. Wasn't a loaded question btw :smiley: Didn't realise there was any benefit back to VW.

So, is it that VW are deliberatley keeping the build slow? I always thought VW had high residual because of brand image and build quality. You seems to be saying is more to do with the keeping availibility low??

Andrew 7 days sounds great, not sure how you managed that! I ordered 15th Jan and expecting it middle of May. That seems par for course when reading the other numerous threads.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2014, 09:42 by Rick101 »

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2014, 10:38 »
There are a few different variables. A dealer might have had a car already in the system but still able to be changed. So in effect that would give you just a 6 - 8 week weight if you times it just before it went to build date.

Then on the other hand a dealer may have sold all his allocated slots for that month or the following so when you order the car, the dealer can't actually order your car with the factory for a while, hence the wait.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2014, 11:35 »
So, is it that VW are deliberatley keeping the build slow? I always thought VW had high residual because of brand image and build quality. You seems to be saying is more to do with the keeping availibility low??

It's all of the above, but keeping availability low helps. BMWs don't hold their value like they used to, and they will build you one as quickly as they can. You can get a 135M in 6 to 8 weeks from point of ordering, but you can wait 6 months for a Golf R. BMW are now heavily in the Fleet game - the 318D and 320D are rep mobiles, every other police car or ambulance car you see is a BMW. These lease cars get dumped on the used market at 2 or 3 years old in great quantity, though auctions and car supermarkets, pushing down the used prices. Pretty much all 1 and 3 series hold 45-48% of their RRP after 3 years (including the performance models). There are far fewer GTIs, GTDs and normal Golfs in the fleet scene.

A GTI or a GTD is a very expensive car to buy for what it is, but as a car to run for 3 years, the residuals make it a relatively cheap car to run for what it is. Around 6 years ago, VWs shot up in price, but they weren't any more expensive to have for 3 years because the residuals shot up with the RRP. The MK6 GTI went up 20% vs the last RRP of the MK5, for very little extra in the way of equipment and output.

Right now people are prepared to pay what VW are asking for them, due to image, perceived quality and residuals. If the residuals weren't all that great, i'd probably be in an Audi right now.

If you measure quality by the number of times your car goes in for warranty work, i'd say VW are distinctly average, but the cars feel solid and once you iron out the build niggles, i'd expect the average VW to outlive most of its peers. I wouldn't expect many Alfas to do 123k miles without mechanical incident as my dad's MK5 GT170TDI had when he traded it in, but it probably had another 125k miles left in it.

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2014, 16:05 »

Andrew 7 days sounds great, not sure how you managed that! I ordered 15th Jan and expecting it middle of May. That seems par for course when reading the other numerous threads.

That wasn't what he said, he ordered in early February and it is being delivered in 7 days. Total wait ~ 2.5 months.

7 days from order to delivery really would be amazing!
Golf GTD Mk VII | DBP | DSG | Discover Nav