Author Topic: How quick is the GTD  (Read 12598 times)

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
Re: How quick is the GTD
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2013, 13:17 »
Just to be clear I wasn't comparing a 116d to my gtd.

Was just saying, a race at the lights last night provided a very clear win for the golf.  The bmw looked the part but was unmarked.  Due to the difference I assume it was a 116d rather than a 120d.  The guy was definitely trying and I'm not sure that the result would have been the same had it been a 120d M Sport.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2013, 13:31 »
Get a car reg checker to confirm what it is you wasted  :grin: :grin:

120's come in a couple of varieties so it could have been a 140bhp

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2013, 20:54 »
Opened her up for the first time today...this is not the "best"or most powerful car I have had but boy does it put speed on quickly on the go. Check your speed, accelerate, check your speed again and you're plus 25 to 30 mph....it's so effortless tho, need to keep an eye on your licence.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 12 October 2013, 08:40 »
really can't understand people going on about speed this and that and 0-60 this. if you want to race people do it on a track. you buy a car for its refinement (or most do) not to rag the a4se end off it at every set of lights just to put the nob in the bmw in his place. the gtd is the best car I've had but if I wanted something faster I wouldn't have bought it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2013, 11:27 »
I would think that people buy a gtd using a number of considerations and speed most definitely being one of the major reasons.  Hot hatch performance with good fuel economy is how the car is marketed by VW.  I don't think it is any coincidence that the most popular threads in the gtd section is 'what mpg are you getting', 'how fast is it' and 'does the tuning box make it faster'.

My purchase was based on just how good looking the car is, the fact that it is a really nice place to be while driving, that i should be able to drive it up and down the motor way at 50mpg + and when the mood takes, i can use the cars performance throw it into corners and put a smile on my face.

Maybe it is just me.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2013, 14:46 »
I would think that people buy a gtd using a number of considerations and speed most definitely being one of the major reasons.  Hot hatch performance with good fuel economy is how the car is marketed by VW.  I don't think it is any coincidence that the most popular threads in the gtd section is 'what mpg are you getting', 'how fast is it' and 'does the tuning box make it faster'.

My purchase was based on just how good looking the car is, the fact that it is a really nice place to be while driving, that i should be able to drive it up and down the motor way at 50mpg + and when the mood takes, i can use the cars performance throw it into corners and put a smile on my face.

Maybe it is just me.

Couldnt agree more! Out of interest where did you order your car, Eastern on the Gorgie Road?
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2013, 21:36 »
I used to have a bmw e46 330i sport saloon. Brilliant car, bu it got to that stage when it was costing more than the car was worth.  Decided that PCH was best for me and spent ages looking round the internet for somethtotallyffordable and yet close to the fun the old bmw gave me. I've never had a golf or a vw for that matter, but the gtd was the only thing I could afford that I thought would be fast and insurance plus pump friendly.

Long story short, but my car is through inchcape Chester.  I do wonder if going to my local dealer - vw on gorgie road as you said - would have been a better solution.

By the by, used to cycle past when I was car less. At least 6 gti/gtd have come out of gorgie road Edinburgh.  The tornado red in real life looks amazing.  Have to admit though, for flat black and no extras, I thinkit totally works.