Author Topic: GTD suspension  (Read 8413 times)

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
GTD suspension
« on: 26 September 2013, 19:49 »
Hey guys (well Mk7 GTD drivers really)...I've been noticing that a lot people seem to have opted for adaptive dampers on their Mk7 GTD's. I only test drove GTD's with standard dampers but was happy with the handling and ride so saved the cash and went standard.  I'd be very interested to know what aspect(s) of the car drove your decision to go adaptive?  Thanks a lot guys.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

mjh_056

Re: GTD suspension
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2013, 20:19 »
1. Potholes/Winter Roads
2. Present S Line Ride of which you start out ignoring and saying it is fine and then admit it is only fine for handling on decent roads but is shocking on rutted roads.

Hard to make a too informed decision as both the A3 (8V) and the MK7 are on the new lighter frames so are basically different cars from previous incarnations but what swayed me was fact the DCC 2nd Gen is active at all times no matter settings.

Also hard to compare with the standard non DCC suspension given the DCC is active no matter setting, so when some say it is fine in 'normal' and compare that to a GTI/GTD without it is still not a true comparison

Think there was an element of taking no chances too from present experience but the hope is that for me it will be a complete transformation as an experience for comfort without much if any loss in handling.

When I eventually get the damn thing I will let you know  :wink:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2013, 08:12 »
I test drove a scirocco with DCC version 1 in and the comfort setting made me feel quite sick, normal and sport were excellent though. on the gtd it's totally different and as mjh has said it's constantly damping all 4 wheels instead of across 1 axle like the old system did. I've got back trouble so I specced it to aid driving on the s4it roads we have here in Sunderland. some will say it's not worth it but you can't compare the old version to the new one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2013, 08:19 »
Well, the proof of the pudding is my father. He's 75 and right about everything it seems  :grin:

I took him out last weekend for a meal with my mother, and had the DCC set in comfort. After a 5 mile journey he said to me that he was really surprised at the ride comfort which to him was much better than his very soft Toyota Avensis  running on 16's with very large tyre walls. Believe me, coming from my Dad, that's praise indeed  :smiley: (he didn't like it when I set it to sport mode though, said it was too firm for him).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2013, 08:22 »
sounds like my mum. she said exactly the same!  :laugh:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

mjh_056

« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2013, 08:54 »
I test drove a scirocco with DCC version 1 in and the comfort setting made me feel quite sick, normal and sport were excellent though. on the gtd it's totally different and as mjh has said it's constantly damping all 4 wheels instead of across 1 axle like the old system did. I've got back trouble so I specced it to aid driving on the s4it roads we have here in Sunderland. some will say it's not worth it but you can't compare the old version to the new one.

That is another reason, wife had a prolapsed disc and though quite recovered she still has a regime to follow and seeks to avoid anything that maybe could agravate it and she is looking forward to the GTD more than me I think as her car is a Mini Cooper on 18's which looks great and but is a hard ride and though equally loves the A3 on a decent roads she dislikes the ride, particularly when a passenger as they do not know the 'bump' is coming.

Given comments above and particularly from someone who has experience of DCC V.1 then it seems V.2 on the new frame achieves the comfort level UK roads has you seeking and add in the winter pack with heated cloth seats a very happy wife too, and that is never a bad thing and well worth the money  :wink:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2013, 09:33 »
To be honest, I've driven a large number of hatches over many years, and I would say the GTI / GTD chassis with DCC is the finest ride I have ever had other than a big executive barge.

I only have my GTD with DCC and the GTI I test drive with DCC as a reference, so don't know what they are like without DCC, but according to many members on here, it's still very good without. Obviously all this is with 18's, having never tried one with 19's.

Oh, and the ride improves dramatically when the transportation blocks are removed !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2013, 10:01 »
Thanks for all your feedback.  I did try a GTI with adaptive back to back with a std GTD and the GTI felt a bit harsher in all settings - however the GTI did have 19" wheels which people seem to be finding make a lot of difference to the ride.

I also imagine that tyre pressures will have an effect. Not sure what options VW gives for the GTD in the handbook but will perusing this when I finally get my hands on one :nerd:
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

mjh_056

« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2013, 10:21 »
Thanks for all your feedback.  I did try a GTI with adaptive back to back with a std GTD and the GTI felt a bit harsher in all settings - however the GTI did have 19" wheels which people seem to be finding make a lot of difference to the ride.

I also imagine that tyre pressures will have an effect. Not sure what options VW gives for the GTD in the handbook but will perusing this when I finally get my hands on one :nerd:

It is not just ride comfort it effects, it can be handling.

My quattro is a solid beast, quite heavy but completely planted, you really can push it through bends until that is you hit ruts, as suspension is so unforgiving it 'fidgets'  and has you step off momentarily as a result even if likely quite safe as the haldex finds it's footing again.

From what reading it seems the 19's are giving a similar experience of being excellent on decent roads but maybe a little hard and jittery on the less so.

I like all the wheels so not going to run down the GTI standards or the Santiago but have always genuinely preferred the Nogaro and would have imagined been tempted to spec them as an option.

Very happy that chose the DCC as it will leave me with no regrets, there would be no more I physically could have done in getting the ride I am seeking.

Pretty much like most options really, if think going to regret not having it, spec it!