Author Topic: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??  (Read 19654 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2013, 21:15 »
Ummm...confused  :huh: are you saying no to Morrisons?

I think he (sick) is definitely saying no to Morrisons diesel for modern, high pressure TDIs.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2013, 21:32 »
Ummm...confused  :huh: are you saying no to Morrisons?

I think he (sick) is definitely saying no to Morrisons diesel for modern, high pressure TDIs.

Thank you H5O, Morrisons is my normal stop so really helpful. Tesco's would be my next stop...is that ok?
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #22 on: 12 July 2013, 21:54 »
I would stay away with 2008 systems onwards.

Asda is basically a no no.
Tesco is not the worst of the bunch by a long way (typically just bog standard diesel)
Sainsbury's I've used a couple of times, but more out of need than want.

I've fortunately got a very good priced Shell garage at my work place now so just go there.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2013, 22:20 »

Tesco is not the worst of the bunch by a long way (typically just bog standard diesel)

I've fortunately got a very good priced Shell garage at my work place now so just go there.

Ok Thanks, I will bow to your greater knowledge, even though my Shell garage is 3-4p per litre dearer (800 miles a week on average)
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2013, 23:01 »

Ok Thanks, I will bow to your greater knowledge, even though my Shell garage is 3-4p per litre dearer (800 miles a week on average)

However..... as others on here have outlined, if you only plan in keeping the car 3 to 4 years put what the hell you like in it :wink: It'll be somebody else's problem further down the line (if ever a problem does occur).

If you do 800 miles per week 3-4p per litre extra over the year is quite a of extra dosh to shell out. I'm a tight arse and fill up at ASDA whenever possible (petrol) and I've never felt any difference in performance whatsoever (compared to BP, Shell et al).

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 12 July 2013, 23:12 »
If that 3-4p a litre premium yields extra mpg then it will be money well spent. 2 extra mpg and you're quids in. Might need to try it and see if you experience a significant increase in mpg using the premium stuff.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 12 July 2013, 23:31 »
If that 3-4p a litre premium yields extra mpg then it will be money well spent. 2 extra mpg and you're quids in. Might need to try it and see if you experience a significant increase in mpg using the premium stuff.

I hate to be picky but there are so many environmental factors which could influence mpg +/- outcome (hot day, cold day, heavy traffic, smooth traffic, strong headwinds, tailwind, using the air con etc, etc.) It would be nigh on impossible to conclusively proof increased fuel economy from the premium product under average driving conditions (IMHO).
« Last Edit: 12 July 2013, 23:33 by Hawaii-Five-O »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #27 on: 12 July 2013, 23:34 »

I hate to be picky but there are so many environmental factors which could influence mpg +/- outcome (hot day, cold day, heavy traffic, smooth traffic, strong headwinds, tailwind, adverse weather etc, etc.) It would be nigh on impossible to conclusively proof increased fuel economy from the premium product under average driving conditions (IMHO).

I always got better MPG from forecourt fuel compared to supermarket fuel  :nerd:  hence why i stopped using supermarket fuel years ago!!

To be clear im only talking about the standard forecourt fuel and not the premium diesel that is also on offer; never really found much improvement and stations selling premium diesel are few and far between in the valleys  :sad:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2013, 01:38 »
800 miles per week at 4p cheaper is £125 per year, assuming an average 50mpg.  So to break even you need to save £125 at £1.4 = 90 litres.  You are using 60L per week so you need 1.5 weeks free out of 52 = 3% or 51.5mpg.

3% sounds like a big gain, but not a huge one. :undecided:

However, http://www.petrolprices.com puts the average premium diesel at 10p, or 7%, more expensive so you'll have to shop around and be sure you really are only paying 4p more at most than what you could have paid.

Semi off topic, my GTI will probably be getting Tesco 99.  I've heard that gives the best improvements in power and efficiency when coupled to a variable cam time capable engine...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 13 July 2013, 08:38 »
its Morrison's diesel I'm talking about avoiding. petrol wasn't mentioned by the original poster. put whatever petrol you like in but if your going down gtd route don't use Morrison's diesel. I've used sainsburys diesel for years and never had any issues but I avoid Morrison's, asda and tesco for my diesel.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.