Author Topic: Anyone know this mk1?  (Read 23447 times)

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
Re: Anyone know this mk1?
« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2012, 21:20 »
built a wheel up to test fit i cant run a very wide wheel on the front as it has huge 4 pot calipers and need a spacer to clear them

new drivers door skin arrived so i ground the old one off

test fit of the new one

then spotted it in a couple of places before a trial fit on the car

popped it on with the wing for gapping etc and finished spot welding the door skin on

now the scuttle panel was for a LHD its all that was available so i welded the wiper holes up

also welded the aerial hole up on the wing

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2012, 21:22 »
the new wing needed the arch lip cutting down to help reduce any tyre rub

before standard large return edge

after edge cut back

the bonnet is a complete mess the previous paint prep was bad, the paint just flakes off with a chisel

as you can see the top was just a build up of paint and high build

a close up to show you how thick it was it totally ruined the defining lnes of the bonnet etc

out come the sander

im not running rear arch spats so i welded the holes up

still going on the bonnet lol

started to take the ns door back to

back to bare metal

the bonnet was a nightmare so out came the paint stripper

and it back to bare metal

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2012, 21:25 »
stripped the ns wing back to bare metal

and the same with the tailgate

that brings us upto date, so at last it was time to etch prime all the bare metal although theres a long way to go its a turning point for me as at last things arent being stripped or taken off

i would like to say im not a bodyshop guy or a sprayer im a mechanic and i work on motor caravans, this is the 1st time ive ever really done body work even though ive modified cars for many years.

panels ready for etch primer i borrowed some panel stands from a neighbour
[im]http://i50.tinypic.com/j79dnq.jpg[/img]

made good use of the 2 poster lift and hung the rest from it

and primed

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2012, 21:26 »
been working in the bay today tidying things up etc i needed a little more clearence between the turbo and chassis rail just behind the engine mount

so ive dressed the chassis leg in a little for some extra clearance

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2012, 21:27 »
so put some stone chip on the sills today the rest of the shell is almost ready for a coat of high build primer

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 30 December 2012, 21:28 »
so today i painted the whole car in high build primer im soooooo happy with it all it really is a turning point and i now know it will be ready for painting in january

just a few spots need very fine attention

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 30 December 2012, 21:30 »
Quick update i removed the chassis leg lip so i have more clearence with the drive shaft then welded it back up for strength

And found another gearbox with the code i wanted ENJ this has a higher ratio than the current gearbox and will allow a better cruising speed, i may even be able to put a little more power down in 1st,2nd and 3rd haha

gave it a quick clean i haven't decided on colour yet paint it silver or same colour as the body like the previous box?

Offline higher1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 30 December 2012, 21:31 »
so ive removed the gearbox and checked the clutch it has hardly any wear but does have a little bit of movement in the centre drive so il replace it

carrying on with the colour coded parts theme the paint on the oil filter housing is looking shabby to so ive removed it ready to treat and paint

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #38 on: 06 January 2013, 03:00 »
Wow...... what a great rebuild this is... Lots of detail that's going to result in a very straight car!  Very jealous of your facilities too!  You might want to copy this thread into the dub rides section if you want more attention.  :afro:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #39 on: 06 January 2013, 21:29 »
I'm looking forward to another passenger ride in it again :afro:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175