Author Topic: Recommended Wheel Lock - Need some options  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Ell1207

• Not said much yet
Recommended Wheel Lock - Need some options
« on: 17 October 2021, 19:55 »
Hi all,

Looking to get myself a steering wheel locking device for my Clubsport, which is now further away from delivery after an update extending the build date to week18 (ordered in April 😖).

I have a few older wheel bar locks etc but the weight and application will dent the steering wheel over time so looking for suggestions for a good quality steering lock that will not damage the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help ☺️

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Recommended Wheel Lock - Need some options
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2021, 20:10 »
I use a disc lock every night. It’s been on my S3 for 3 years, my R for another 2.5 and not dented the steering wheel once. You can get a cover for the steering wheel that you put on before the lock. It’s worked s charm.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ell1207

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2021, 20:15 »
Hi king monkey,

Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards the disklock just wasn’t sure if it would damage the steering wheel. Was thinking about throwing a microfibre over the wheel before fitting.

Cheers pal 👍

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2021, 20:27 »
What about a stoplock pro?
I don’t use a lock on the golf, but use this for my Peugeot.
It’s an old one from the 90s, I think, but as far as I know it’s the same design that’s still on sale now.
My understanding is that it’s very effective??
It certainly doesn’t damage the wheel in any way and is very easy to use.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2021, 20:49 »
This may be of interest…

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38365-stoplock-pro-or-elite-i-bought-both/

Personally, I’d go for a stoplock pro. I’d be interested to hear if it’s any less effective ( in practice) than a disclock. I suspect it is just as effective.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2021, 21:05 »
Hi king monkey,

Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards the disklock just wasn’t sure if it would damage the steering wheel. Was thinking about throwing a microfibre over the wheel before fitting.

Cheers pal 👍

You’re welcome. That thread from the R forum is interesting. Worth a read. Not sure why people are saying they can’t put a disclock on though whilst in the car. Are they giants?  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2021, 16:17 »
Disklok with the steering wheel cover for me.  Went and bought it 5 minutes after picking up the car.  I have been using it for 8 months now and it has not left any marks on the steering wheel - though, I always turn it about 20 degrees clockwise, so that the top hinge is not pressing down on the wheel.  This also makes the lock more visible through the windscreen.  It is a bit of a tight squeeze to fit, but as long as you sit with your legs out of the door, rather than sitting in a driving position, it's easy.

The problem with the other types of lock is that the wheel can easily be cut without the need for power tools.  A good hacksaw will put two cuts through a wheel in a couple of minutes.  The only way you're getting a Disklok off, is with a grinder.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2021, 15:46 »
I use a disc lock every night. It’s been on my S3 for 3 years, my R for another 2.5 and not dented the steering wheel once. You can get a cover for the steering wheel that you put on before the lock. It’s worked s charm.

I've used a disklok on mine and not had any issues with it either its also parked in a locked alarmed garage behind a big f*&k off pair of locked wooden gates!!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2021, 13:50 »
Another user of Disklok (get the small size) no issues fitting or removing and no steering wheel marks when you use the protective sock - mines been in daily use for nearly 3 years.
Get a bag as well so it doesn’t slide around the cabin when not in use - I unpicked the Velcro of mine as it was catching the carpet and seat trim. Fits nicely slid behind the passenger seat.

They hold their value remarkably well to - I sold the large one I had for my Discovery for £70 3 years ago
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2021, 09:15 »
Disklok for me too micro fibre on wheel then the steering wheel cover then lock is what I do never Mark's the wheel then😁
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI