Author Topic: Best Golf R or CS Discounts  (Read 12303 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Best Golf R or CS Discounts
« Reply #60 on: 16 April 2021, 22:35 »
Have fun getting your charging points fitted people...

We got one fitted today for our forthcoming VW ID3 (stuck at Emden 5 weeks now) and it was a disaster. The fitters put in my Ohme charging point, then tested the earthing points, and there the issues started.

Earth resistance reading is too high, so we had to call out Northern Electric. Guy comes checks the meter end, it's solid, so there must be a weakness in the connection from the street's supply - they'll have to dig up the path in the street to sort it (happening Monday apparently).

Meter guy has also checked the earthing strap at the gas meter and discovered a small gas leak at the meter. So gas board come out, cap off the supply and my utilities supplier (Octopus) send out someone to fit a new meter (he's fitting it now), but he has informed me he's not a gas safe engineer so won't uncap the supply after fitting the meter. I need a gas safe engineer to give my boiler and hob the once over before uncapping the supply...at my expense. FFS.

The future is electric... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 22:37 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #61 on: 16 April 2021, 22:47 »
Electric, it's cheaper lol
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 17 April 2021, 10:58 »
Electric, it's cheaper lol

GTC (what was Transco) have said that meter guy should have turned back on so they're going to do it later today (FOC).

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #63 on: 17 April 2021, 16:06 »
Oh not good. But atleast you know about the gas leak.
You seem to be having the same luck i do,  Hope you have it all sorted out soon.
Ive being reseaching chargers as im building a new garage. The front runner for me is the zappi charger as its easiest to have installed after research. The ohme seems abit more of a faff to install after watching this install. https://youtu.be/wCsTxj9aSLc
« Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 16:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 17 April 2021, 16:33 »
Oh not good. But atleast you know about the gas leak.
Ive being reseaching chargers as im building a new garage. The front runner for me is the zappi charger as its easiest to have installed after research. The ohme seems abit more of a faff to install after watching this install.
https://youtu.be/wCsTxj9aSLc
You seem to be having the same luck i do,  Hope you have it all sorted out soon.

Ohme looked technically the best/smartest. If you go Matt-E device instead of earthing rod, supposedly easier. Podpoint needs no Matt-E or earthing rod, but is still supposedly a bit buggy on the software for scheduled smart charging.

That install looks pretty straightforward, the guy just had to pick a box doing the broadly same job as the Matt-E that matched the consumer unit. My meter is external and our garage was converted, with the consumer unit not on the opposite side of an outside wall, so installation would've been messy had they not been able to only tie in to the meter. They put the Matt-E unit in the meter box,keeping everything tidy.

berkeley humane society

« Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 18:35 by monkeyhanger »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 20 April 2021, 21:06 »
So...I had my test drive in an ID3 today, and I was let out on my own with it for 20 mins.

First impressions with the seats - comfortable but the cloth on my chosen model isn't really to my tastes - I guess I'm too used to sports seats in greys and GTI/GTD tartan. I'd pay extra for Sports seats, but while I'm sat in them,I can't see them. The airplane fold up/down skinny arm rests are a bit crap. Maybe I'd need time to get used to them, but never really been a user of arm rests in other cars, except the A4's which was large and highly adjustable.

The dash plastics are hard by the windscreen (which you'd have to stretch to touch), and softer where they're accessible. The door cards are softer than the Polo's but harder than a MK7 Golf's. Not really liking the piano black door grab handles purely for reasons of practicability in avoiding fingerprints and microscratches. The haptic switches have a click to them if you press them hard enough, didn't really have time to mess with them for functionality/ease of use.

The interior size is weirdly huge. You know this is the size of a Golf (2cm wider, 1cm shorter), but 17cm taller (that's the battery pack you're sat on), so maybe think of it as a slightly short Golf Plus on the outside. On the inside it is hugely spacious- it's like being in my Cousin's Q5.

Onto the drive...I press the start button on the steering column where a manual key would go - silly place! You have to fumble for it because you can't see it -
 should've placed it on view in the lower dash.

Button pressed...I forget that there's no engine noise, there's no tone to indicate everything's ready to go. I turned it off and back on again to be sure it was on (it was). I cautiously tickle the throttle as I'm half expecting some serious sensitivity and don't want to plough into the car opposite. Thankfully it crawls if you just tickle it. I get out of the car park and the silence is weird, like I'm on one of those electric trams in Amsterdam.

I get out on the open road (A19 sliproad), getting past the crawler in front of me and boot it. There's quite a pull but zero drama, the acceleration is very linear. I drove it normally between 70 and 80mph once I got there. It's still smooth and eerily quiet, a smaller whisper of wind noise. I came off the A19 a few junctions up and have a drive around the country roads near Seghill. I was able to stop and boot it from a standstill 3 times - consistently quick off the line with zero drame and linear all the way to 80.

So it's competent, pretty quick in a very usable.way, but a bit dull. This is probably the way with affordable EVs - until the batteries get light and cheap, you'll need to be spending £50k+ to get something genuinely sporty and desirable.

Definitely not a car that excites - will make a good car for the kids with plenty of interior room and rear legroom.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 06:37 by monkeyhanger »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #66 on: 20 April 2021, 21:36 »
Thanks for that. I never got a chance to test drive it, i only sat in it.

I quite liked it actually.

I didn't expect it to be drama like a petrol turbo or an electric rocket from spacex.

One day when all the crap dies down i must have a drive though.

I think at the moment I'd go for either a mach e or a polestar 2.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #67 on: 20 April 2021, 21:44 »
Thanks for the review and info.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 21 April 2021, 06:47 »
Thanks for that. I never got a chance to test drive it, i only sat in it.

I quite liked it actually.

I didn't expect it to be drama like a petrol turbo or an electric rocket from spacex.

One day when all the crap dies down i must have a drive though.

I think at the moment I'd go for either a mach e or a polestar 2.

I think that unless there's some significant discounting going on (which isn't happening much with EVs in general but seems to be happening with VW if you time it right - must be desperate to meet those fleet CO2 targets), I'll not be in a "fast" EV for a while (circa 5s 0-62mph).

The Mach-E and Polestar 2 will be out of my desired price range if a £40-45k car is going for that much because the discounts are sparse. Overnight all those £35k+ EVs were effectively £3k more expensive on 18th March with the removal of the grant above that threshold.  As a cash buyer now, I'm looking to lose no more than £8-10k over 3 years for each of the 2 cars we have, I think I'm past the days of spending £400-500 a month on a single car since the missus learned to drive and I've got to support 2 cars now.

I think we'll have 3-5 years of cheapish low/mid range EV motoring while grant access is still available and the Government haven't introduced a pay per mile Road tax...then we'll all have our pockets picked again whether we're EV or ICE.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 08:24 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 21 April 2021, 10:10 »
Nice little review MH. It’ll be interesting to see how it fares in daily use.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner