Author Topic: Lead times  (Read 31073 times)

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
Re: Lead times
« Reply #110 on: 19 April 2021, 09:34 »
Took delivery of mine last week. Had ordered 5th December so a relatively long wait.

Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Pan roof, HK, Vienna Leather, Winter Pack and Rear camera. Delighted with it, it is fabulous to drive. Looking forward to sharing more thoughts on it as I go along.

Looks brilliant, great choice! I notice in the wheel arches, there are black strips that overlap the paint - any idea what these are? They don't appear on everything GTI I've seen on Autotrader, so wondering if it's something that is meant to be removed during PDI?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #111 on: 19 April 2021, 09:50 »

Looks brilliant, great choice! I notice in the wheel arches, there are black strips that overlap the paint - any idea what these are? They don't appear on everything GTI I've seen on Autotrader, so wondering if it's something that is meant to be removed during PDI?

They’re called wheel arch spoilers.

They’re fitted to the mk8 Golf when it has 19” wheels, which are wider than the standard 18”. The optional 19” wheels are also fitted with 235 section tyres (225’s on the standard 18” wheels). Wider wheels and tyres mean that the wheels protrude outwards further than the standard 18” wheels, leaving the tyre tread exposed, so the solution is for manufacturers to fit wheel arch spoilers to cover the exposed tyre tread section.

It’s not just VW that fit them, I think it may be a legal requirement for all car manufacturers to fit them where certain wheel / tyre combinations result in exposed tyre tread that could cause injury.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #112 on: 19 April 2021, 09:58 »
Yup, known as "winglets".

And yes its to stop the wheels projecting beyond the "bodywork" - a legal/MOT requirement.

Its like flaring the arches, only cheaper for VW  :laugh:

VW OEM 19's are 8.5J.... I guess no offset could make them work, so they have to stick out.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 19 April 2021, 11:18 »
Looks good!

I didn't think Estorils were available to order back then.

Its an Irish car, they've always been available here.

Lovely car!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #114 on: 19 April 2021, 12:27 »
Ahhhhh Ireland. I see!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #115 on: 19 April 2021, 13:31 »
Thanks very much for the comments! Yes delighted with it.

Yes I’m sure the Estorils were available for order here back as far as last September. Was in two minds between the them and the black ones but the black blends in with the tyre too much I think.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #116 on: 19 April 2021, 13:33 »
Thanks very much for the comments! Yes delighted with it.

Yes I’m sure the Estorils were available for order here back as far as last September. Was in two minds between the them and the black ones but the black blends in with the tyre too much I think.

Think you made the right choice! The car looks fantastic.

I assume you got caught out a bit with the VRT on it, with the 19's?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #117 on: 19 April 2021, 15:16 »
I did, but at least I can’t have regrets spec wise. Plus at the rate their holding value I think the right spec on these makes a good investment.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #118 on: 19 April 2021, 16:49 »

They’re called wheel arch spoilers.

They’re fitted to the mk8 Golf when it has 19” wheels, which are wider than the standard 18”. The optional 19” wheels are also fitted with 235 section tyres (225’s on the standard 18” wheels). Wider wheels and tyres mean that the wheels protrude outwards further than the standard 18” wheels, leaving the tyre tread exposed, so the solution is for manufacturers to fit wheel arch spoilers to cover the exposed tyre tread section.

It’s not just VW that fit them, I think it may be a legal requirement for all car manufacturers to fit them where certain wheel / tyre combinations result in exposed tyre tread that could cause injury.

Thanks, that'd explain why not every car has them then!

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #119 on: 22 April 2021, 21:15 »
So I've just been told my Clubsport is in production now which is earlier than the quoted week 17.

I ordered the first week in January and was originally given a 12 week delivery timeframe.

Can't wait now, hopefully it's here by July!!

My spec again is Clubsport in Moonstone with black Estorils, HK sounds, winter pack and reverse camera.  :cool:
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver