Author Topic: Lead times  (Read 31563 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Lead times
« Reply #60 on: 11 February 2021, 10:27 »
There's a little voice beginning to wisper in my hear............... M135i, M135i, M135i, M135i  its beginning to get louder as well :grin:

Well its a good car. Its roughly the same as a Mk8 R with an arguably better interior but slightly inferior technology - the Mk8 is cutting (bleeding?) edge.

Like the R though don't imagine it to be a Type-R, the 4wd hot hatches are a different proposition to FWD hot hatches, they are fast but not hard riding beasts.

Its a good fast daily driver, but maybe a bit heavy on fuel costs if you do a lot of miles.

I saw some lease deals on reasonably spec'ed M135i for £300 a month the other day. That's a lot of car for the money.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #61 on: 11 February 2021, 21:39 »
There's a little voice beginning to wisper in my hear............... M135i, M135i, M135i, M135i  its beginning to get louder as well :grin:

I would recommend driving one if you haven’t already. Incredibly dull driving experience. Interior was decent. Felt like I was getting in to a much better car to drive when I got back in my 7.5R. Also didn’t think it was a patch on the wife’s A35.

That being said I have got a mk8 R on order without a test drive  :grin:

However if you are still interested Arnold Clark have released some incredibly cheap 135/128ti lease deals. May have turned my head if I hadn’t already ordered the R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 12 February 2021, 06:05 »

Try one.
Everyone is different and wants different things from a car.
To me a Golf is home, it’s a familiar place, it does what it does well.

But I spent 5 months with an M135i and had planned to spend around 18 to 24 months with it.
I disagree with Darlo, I found it anything but dull to drive.
It has a very gutsy engine and in full Sport Mode it’s quite a brawny feeling car (as you’d expect a quick BMW to be).
In Normal it feels latently powerful and wafts along in a fairly mature way. It feels very solid, the interior feels a class above, the tech is slick and quick, there are touches you just don’t get on a Golf and it feels more like a £38k car (by modern pricing standards, I’d certainly not level good value for money at it or any of its rivals). It rides reasonably well, it absorbs bumps nicely, steers sharply and feels less 4wd and more FWD.
But shove it in Sport and it changes character, brutal would be too strong a word but it certainly feels like it means business from both engine and gearbox.
Fuel economy was notably better than my Golf R used to be, about on a par with my TCR. 

In Storm Bay or Misano they look really sharp too (although I quite like white personally).

Five months and I struggled to find anything to mark it down on. It does everything really well, feels very modern, looks very modern...

It wasn’t perfect, nothing is, but it’s certainly a very good package.

As a dyed in the wool Golf GTI driver I really admired the M135i but it wasn’t a car I could get an emotional attachment with. A fondness, lots of respect, lots of positivity, but something missing. Maybe it needed more time.

Grab one on a 24 month cheap lease and I very much doubt you’d regret it. 

At least it didn’t have multiple spurious electrical gremlins despite it also being an early build.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 12 February 2021, 08:25 »
I'd agree with the above even though i only did a limited test drive.

I'd also say its a very different, better car than the 128ti. Which is quite odd if you are used to the not so different to each other performance golf range.

If covid hadn't happened I suspect I'd be driving a m135i now and not regretting it at all.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #64 on: 14 February 2021, 16:16 »
Picked up my GTI Dolphin Grey on Friday and first golf I have owned and I absolutely love it. Doesn't take long to get use to the system on screen but loving that burst of power. I'm one very happy owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 14 February 2021, 16:24 »
Nice!

Noticed any gremlins yet?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 14 February 2021, 16:26 »
Picked up my GTI Dolphin Grey on Friday and first golf I have owned and I absolutely love it. Doesn't take long to get use to the system on screen but loving that burst of power. I'm one very happy owner

Looks very good, shame you are snowbound  :sad:

The more I see of the Richmond wheels, the more I think they do suit the car.  :wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #67 on: 14 February 2021, 16:44 »
Nice!

Noticed any gremlins yet?

😂. Not as yet

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #68 on: 14 February 2021, 16:47 »

Looks very good, shame you are snowbound  :sad:

The more I see of the Richmond wheels, the more I think they do suit the car.  :wink:

I like it I'm pleased with it, roll on a bit better weather and I don't mind the wheels defo look better in flesh but loving the car, was driving a Passat GTE and didn't notice much difference between driving modes but defo different in this

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #69 on: 14 February 2021, 18:14 »
Any options?