Author Topic: Lead times  (Read 31669 times)

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
Re: Lead times
« Reply #50 on: 09 February 2021, 19:17 »
Just checked the vw order tracker................... well my order is still with the factory, no build week
yet scheduled, (ordered 11th December) but it aint the car I ordered. What is going on?????
(it did list the car and interior colour last week, but it now just says clubsport)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #51 on: 09 February 2021, 20:18 »
They seem to keep changing their websites every five seconds.

I wouldn't worry about it not showing the detail.

From "with the factory" to build week confirmed means they are waiting for both the parts availability and a build slot. Did you order any options at all?

You'll get build week confirmed four weeks before its built, so it's now a random wait.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 09 February 2021, 23:29 »
They seem to keep changing their websites every five seconds.

I wouldn't worry about it not showing the detail.

From "with the factory" to build week confirmed means they are waiting for both the parts availability and a build slot. Did you order any options at all?

You'll get build week confirmed four weeks before its built, so it's now a random wait.

I'm build week 18 and were only at week 6 or so...
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 09 February 2021, 23:35 »
Oh yes, you said. That's only going to be a guess. They plan four weeks ahead... Nobody running just in time manufacturing is locking in production twelve weeks ahead.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
« Reply #54 on: 10 February 2021, 09:55 »

Yes, Adelaides, HUD, met Paint and DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 10 February 2021, 11:44 »
Maybe one of those items has no on hand availability date yet but as I said before, you won't get a "build date confirmed" until 4 weeks before the planned build date.

And you won't get the planned build slot until every part is predictred as available and there is a slot on the production line.

This is how Just in Time (JIT) manufacturing works. Its a concept created by Toyota originally but one used since then by anyone doing manufacturing of anything - like my employer...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #56 on: 10 February 2021, 15:46 »
Maybe one of those items has no on hand availability date yet but as I said before, you won't get a "build date confirmed" until 4 weeks before the planned build date.

And you won't get the planned build slot until every part is predictred as available and there is a slot on the production line.

This is how Just in Time (JIT) manufacturing works. Its a concept created by Toyota originally but one used since then by anyone doing manufacturing of anything - like my employer...

Volkswagen works more on a When We Get Round To It (WWGRTI) system which can be anything from a few weeks if you order through the fleet department to 12 months plus if you’re coughing up your own cash through retail.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 10 February 2021, 17:17 »
Build slot allocation or even accepting orders is going to be a commercial decision governed by all sorts of factors that are opaque to the actual purchaser.

Your dealer might understand a bit of the commercial process, but if they do, I'd doubt they will share that with you.

It will be effectively down to how much VW value the business of whoever you ordered it through. Not all franchised dealerships in all countries are equal... it depends on how much volume they generate. If you have ordered through VW in Nowheresville you will be right at the back of the queue vs vehicles ordered by Lex for leasing to business customers.

Its the same with all OEM's though.

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #58 on: 10 February 2021, 22:29 »
Oh yes, you said. That's only going to be a guess. They plan four weeks ahead... Nobody running just in time manufacturing is locking in production twelve weeks ahead.

Oh right. I thought that was set in stone. Hopefully it's no longer than that...
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
« Reply #59 on: 11 February 2021, 09:54 »
There's a little voice beginning to wisper in my hear............... M135i, M135i, M135i, M135i  its beginning to get louder as well :grin: