Author Topic: Need some help and advice buying a mk6 gti  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Venster

• Not said much yet
Need some help and advice buying a mk6 gti
« on: 03 October 2013, 22:38 »
Basically i'm set on getting a Mk6 Golf GTi 3dr White specifically with bi-xenons, i have a budget of 15-17k so generally looking for a 3-4 year car

My problem is GTI's in this spec and budget are rare as rocking horse do do, my question is, ideally want xenons as they look so much better on the front end and are more practical but i really cant find a car so is it a viable option to retrofit them, i would want a oem install no wire chopping etc

I have had a look through the thread on here and cant really see a definitive answer saying you will need this this and this and you need to do this, but it doesn't look easy and is obviously pricey to do but from what i have seen you pay a premium for cars with the xenons anyway so ultimately you end up paying for them

so really the question is do i bite the bullet and a get a car that i like and retrofit or do i hold out for one with xenons?

any help with the above much appreciated

Jimmymature

Re: Need some help and advice buying a mk6 gti
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2013, 22:41 »
Retrofitting genuine xenons is very expensive, in excess of £800. There are some nice after market versions out there that look nice but not my cup of tea.

Good luck in finding one.

Jim

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2013, 22:42 »
honestly i'd broaden my colour range as plenty out there look equally as good if not better

the only truly desirable white GTI in recent years was the Edition 30

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2013, 22:52 »
White was quite rare in the MK5's but is very common in the MK6. Suprised its hard to find one, but guess its the spec your after narrowing it down.

I originally wanted a white one, but found a fully loaded Tornado Red, which is probably my favourite colour for a GTI, ticked all the right boxes, at a great price, so went for it! Havent looked back, stunning colour!

But if its white your set on, wait for it or you will be dissapointed.
Golf GTI MK6 Manual - Tornado Red with Jacara Cloth, Monza Shadows, RNS510, Dynaudio System, Fiscon Bluetooth, Front & Rear Park Sensors, ACC, Cruise Control, Winter Pack & Xenon Lights.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2013, 23:07 »
Just keep looking if your set on white then get white you don't want to regret a £15,000 purchase!!

I agree other colours look good also its all down to personal preference, I saw Neil's red the other day when he dropped my Carbonio off and Id be lying if I said it didn't look pretty sweet, but I love my candy white especially after it's been cleaned...

You just need to be prepared to travel I spent 6 month looking for mine for I also wanted a few extras as well and eventually found it in South London so spent a whole day travelling to see it. Luckily for me his family lived up North so had it delivered a few weeks later.. result!!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Venster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2013, 23:29 »
Not so much the white holding me back I have considered other colours it's the xenons which seem to be rare in my budget, don't seem to be anything in any colour with xenons

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2013, 00:00 »
And they do make the car! One will turn up there's no rush  :smiley:
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2013, 08:05 »
What doesn't help is VW don't list xenons as an option on their approved used search web site.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline MustardGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2013, 08:30 »
I've just bought one, same spec, same budget (apart from mine is red) - hold out for one with xenons, apart from the looks, the light they throw out is tremendous compared with standard.

Offline spiderman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2013, 09:42 »
And they do make the car! One will turn up there's no rush  :smiley:

I'd echo that, it took me 6months to find the spec i wanted and i ended up going a year older than planned to get it right, but it didn't matter in the end i'm Happy. If you are set on a colour stick to it, i've made that mistake before :rolleyes:

I did find that quite a few cars had Xenons fitted but it wasn't advertised, so might be worth going to look anyway to check for yourself. Not everyone realises what they are, nice wee bonus when you are looking around. :wink:

Cheers

Sandy
Looking something classic