Author Topic: Lowering the MK7 GTD GOOD OR BAD IDEA  (Read 6672 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Lowering the MK7 GTD GOOD OR BAD IDEA
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2013, 14:17 »
Typically a bad idea.

Unless you know what you're doing and buy quality kit then you will likely ruin the ride and impact the handling. I know that manufacturers build cars to a compromise but they spend millions testing these cars to have, for the budget, the best ride/handling compromise on the widest variety of road surfaces.

You may, by lowering and (more than likely stiffening), mildly improve the handling (with suitable geomtery changes) on billiard table smooth roads (like those you see all over the UK  :grin:) but you will likely ruin the ride and handling on real world roads.

Also with those blocks that raise the car to stop it being damaged on the transported... they have been known to be left in there whole (or in part)... so well worth a look when you pick your car up, especially if it looks like it is riding a little high...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Ricepop

« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2013, 15:13 »
There is a fine tradition of lowering VWs, I have lowered a fair few myself. My current Beetle is lowered about 5 inches.

Have a look round the shows and you will see some spectacularly low VWs.

Yes it ruins the ride and makes a mess of the tyres but it looks so cool :cool:

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2013, 15:56 »
Typically a bad idea.

Unless you know what you're doing and buy quality kit then you will likely ruin the ride and impact the handling. I know that manufacturers build cars to a compromise but they spend millions testing these cars to have, for the budget, the best ride/handling compromise on the widest variety of road surfaces.

You may, by lowering and (more than likely stiffening), mildly improve the handling (with suitable geomtery changes) on billiard table smooth roads (like those you see all over the UK  :grin:) but you will likely ruin the ride and handling on real world roads.

Also with those blocks that raise the car to stop it being damaged on the transported... they have been known to be left in there whole (or in part)... so well worth a look when you pick your car up, especially if it looks like it is riding a little high...

I just want the car to look the part dont we all...the longer I wait the more I ponder...idle thumbs go up bumbs.... :drool:
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!