Author Topic: Lowering the MK7 GTD GOOD OR BAD IDEA  (Read 6672 times)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
Lowering the MK7 GTD GOOD OR BAD IDEA
« on: 10 September 2013, 13:02 »
My local dealers finally had a GTD in showroom after being in prep for over 3 weeks!!! Nice car in the flesh...only thing that came to my mind when I went round the car is big gap in the arches.....instead of beautiful looking 19s for every1 to see and me feeling harsh ride inside I thought lower by 30mm...which is an extre 15 mm from the current GTD height......Can someone tell me there thoughts Pls??? :undecided:
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Lowering the MK7 GTD GOOD OR BAD IDEA
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2013, 13:15 »
I say leave it as it is.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2013, 13:18 »
I say leave it as it is.

I second that
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2013, 13:19 »
I say leave it as it is.

The Golf GTD/GTI looks better on standard lowered ride than my Scirocco does. Not planning on lowering mine (think of the potholes!). There is a limit to what looks good also, before you get that “my suspension has failed catastrophically” kind of look.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2013, 13:24 »
Agree with MH here. My Scirocco definitely needed lowering as the arch gap was obscene, however it's something I never got around to.

The GTD in my opinion looks just right. Never been a fan of cars that are "slammed".
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2013, 13:24 »
If it's in the showroom then there is a very good chance that the transport blocks are still in the springs so it will sit massively high! In reality the GTD has a very purposeful stance as standard and i personally wouldn't want it any lower although many people will.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2013, 13:29 »
I think a subtle lowering could look very well, I'm talking 5-10mm here not the slammed look. A mate of mine has a MK6 GTD lowered slightly on H&R springs and it looks extremely well with the arches just hugging the wheels. He says it improved the handling immensely too, only caveat being he needs to be a bit more cautious on speed bumps and carpark ramps.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2013, 13:36 »
If it's in the showroom then there is a very good chance that the transport blocks are still in the springs so it will sit massively high! In reality the GTD has a very purposeful stance as standard and i personally wouldn't want it any lower although many people will.

Is this true I have not seen one on the road and some pics do show the car arches with a not so big gap....its hard to tell until your next to the car. It was the first thinbg that came to mind when I say the car in the showroom, dealer tried to talk me into 19s but I was thinking slighlty lowered, I have onlybeen able to see Hibach ones which gives an extra 15mm drop....
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2013, 13:49 »
Yes mate, they put blocks in the springs to stop the car bouncing on the back of the transporter, if you go back have a look, they're easy to see if you look in the arch as they're usually bright orange or yellow, failing that, if you can get to Tamworth they have a night blue GTD demo which i was looking at this morning, the GTD looks great on the standard 18's imo! :cool:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Ricepop

« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2013, 13:58 »
Get it in the weeds