Author Topic: VW complimentary seven day free insurance...  (Read 9987 times)

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
VW complimentary seven day free insurance...
« on: 04 September 2013, 20:00 »
Hi guys just a quick FYI.

I was arranging the transfer of my car insurance for my new GTI tonight and I happened to mention to the very helpful direct line representative that VW will be providing me with complementary seven day insurance. I asked him if there is any issue if I have an overlap of policy cover on the new vehicle. He informed me its illegal to have two policies on the same car. A to prevent fraud and B because and neither party will want to pay out in the case of an accident. I have to say it makes perfect sense. The post is just a quick FYI so no one gets caught out when making use of the free service :smiley:

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: VW complimentary seven day free insurance...
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2013, 20:06 »
There is wording in the policy that amounts to an annual policy superceding the 7 day complimentary policy for responsibility in the event of a claim with coverage overlap.

The 7 day policy is purely to facilitate easy taxing of the car, not having to bother obtainig proof of insurance before you drive off with your new car, and allow VW insurance to get it's foot in the door to offer you an annual policy (never been competitive for me).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2013, 20:09 »
As MH has said it's purely for taxing the car really.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rick2b

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2013, 20:10 »
This insurance is and should only be used so your dealer can tax the car. It saves you having to insure and get the cover note to the dealer before you pick up the car etc.

Anybody stupid enough to use this as 'free 7 days insurance' with £1000 excess etc, is well, stupid.

Also the small print in the cover allows for overlapping policies.

Ps. It's also so they can get your phone number to pester you with future policies

Mk7 Golf GTD Oryx White 19''rims 3dr keyless

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2013, 20:29 »
Great info guys thanks for the heads up...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2013, 23:58 »
Yeah, I took them up on the free 7 day thing purely for getting the car sorted on time.  I asked them and my new policy provider about overlapping the policies, and why, and they had no issues.  VW has a stupid excess, do NOT protect your no claims during that 7 day period, and their annual premium was more than double what I am paying now.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2013, 02:31 »
Surely their trade policy will cover taxing a vehicle?  Or they are screwed when selling used motors?

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2013, 02:58 »
It's just another way to get money off you.  They don't do anything if unless they can see a way of it somehow resulting in them getting more money off you eventually.  Including for example the holiday vouchers someone was posting about earlier as alleged compensation. :rolleyes:  best you can hope for is there is a temporary aligning of objectives and so you can get something you need from them, as is the case with the seven day policy.

Sorry to be cynical.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2013, 07:39 »
Just to end this the 7 day free insurance is free, costs nothing and is FREE. It is primarily used for quickly taxing new vehicles as any garage will not let you leave the premises if you are uninsured. what you do once you leave the garage is of no concern to them. as far as they are concerned when you left them you were insured. The same concept applies to used cars. They will not let you leave the premises driving your car unless you are insured.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2013, 07:52 »
Wow Bear, you really do have it in for VW don't ya'?!  BMW aren't all angels and roses you know, having known a few people with their cars.

I know it's been said, but the fact is, a car cannot be taxed in a customers name unless there is a valid insurance policy running that covers them.  So, they offer FREE 7 day insurance to facilitate this process...  Not sure what it has to do with holiday vouchers  :rolleyes:
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep