Author Topic: GTi red or white?  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Trickyterrier

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi red or white?
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2013, 18:50 »
In the dealers at the moment, ive just ordered white :smiley:

Thanks for your replies.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2013, 18:57 »
In the dealers at the moment, ive just ordered white :smiley:

Thanks for your replies.

Good choice :smiley:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2013, 19:00 »
Another white one  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Colour is so subjective, it's all personal choice. It was a toss up between these two colours for me; I chose TR as A. It looks the best  :whistle: and B. I like the way the accent and badges blend into the car as to not make it appear too flashy.

But then I went and added the 19" wheels and ruined that theory  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2013, 19:09 »
Tornado red will always be in  fashion on a GTI. I think that white is a passing fad and every other car you see is white. Don't get me wrong, I like the white and have had three white cars but I reckon white's days are numbered. Ten years ago, white was the kiss of death, much like silver is now.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2013, 19:26 »
Tornado red will always be in  fashion on a GTI. I think that white is a passing fad and every other car you see is white. Don't get me wrong, I like the white and have had three white cars but I reckon white's days are numbered. Ten years ago, white was the kiss of death, much like silver is now.

I think charging £250 for white paint might dampen the enthusiasm a little. Blatant "we will charge it because we can get away with it". It's unjustifiable because it is free in pretty much every other EU country, whereas metallic/pearl paint is universally charged for (within the EU at least) and they've always said metallic paint is more expensive (aye, about a tenner more - where does the other £490 come from?).
That's not to say I got Tornado Red because it was free - i'd have given an "R" shade of blue my 1st choice, Liked DBP and then realised i'd be a slave to cleaning the car.

Strongly disliking those 70s shades of colours that seem to be fashionable right now due to retro cars like the Fiat 500 (dull yellows, browns etc).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2013, 19:38 »
Torn between red or white, which looks best?

Cheers
Richard

= perhaps the worst question to ask on a forum!  What do you think looks best? Go with that one.

I went pure white, partly because I have always liked white cars, but because it suits the GTI so well and the red and black accents pop.  You might like red more because it is a GTI classic.  Like I said, go with what YOU like best, and if it's such a close call, will you really be unhappy with either?  I doubt it.  Don't go with fashion either...who cares if white is a (long standing) fad?!  I've had white cars for years, and I'm not buying a colour to impress and please other people.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2013, 19:40 by Gryzor »
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2013, 20:54 »
Out of the two, I'd say white. 

My current car is Tornado red, I would've have had a mk5 in any other colour - looks amazing when clean and really turns heads. 

However, I don't think it looks as good on the mk7 - go white, think storm trooper :)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2013, 21:09 »
I quite like detailing my cars. I have lots of equipment including a Porter Cable DA polisher. The problem with white cars is that they always look good, despite being ill-prepped and detailed. Black cars are also a pain as they show every mark. Red cars, however, respond well to a good LSP and look the business. As has been stated above, they can be real head turners. That is one of the reasons for my choice. Once mine arrives (estimated first week in Oct) I will clay it and hit it with either Amigo or PB'S Black Hole and post some amazing, head-turning pics for all of your delectation...  :wink:

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2013, 21:22 »
I quite like detailing my cars. I have lots of equipment including a Porter Cable DA polisher. The problem with white cars is that they always look good, despite being ill-prepped and detailed. Black cars are also a pain as they show every mark. Red cars, however, respond well to a good LSP and look the business. As has been stated above, they can be real head turners. That is one of the reasons for my choice. Once mine arrives (estimated first week in Oct) I will clay it and hit it with either Amigo or PB'S Black Hole and post some amazing, head-turning pics for all of your delectation...  :wink:

It's a nice problem to have that white cars always look good but I know what you mean.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2013, 21:25 »
Actually Craig, my current white Golf always looks crap because we seem to have a major problem with bee poo. Google it if you want to know what I mean. I always thought the little yellow blobs were pollen, now I know differently...