Author Topic: Has this major issue with the Mk 6 GTI been addressed with the Mk 7?  (Read 7319 times)

Offline DevonK

• Not said much yet
Is everyone around here smoking reefer today? This issue is a complete deal-breaker for me, and will be for many, many other buyers.... especially since it can be objectively demonstrated very easily, unlike many other types of reliability issues. I guess everyone around here drives like my granny so they don't give a toss... ;D Let's see what the good folks at VWVortex have to say...

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Is everyone around here smoking reefer today? This issue is a complete deal-breaker for me, and will be for many, many other buyers.... especially since it can be objectively demonstrated very easily, unlike many other types of reliability issues. I guess everyone around here drives like my granny so they don't give a toss... ;D Let's see what the good folks at VWVortex have to say...

So its a deal breaker that a problem with a mk 6 will stop you getting a mk7?  :rolleyes:

Plus, I drive my cars like they're stolen (within the laws of the road  :smiley:) and I never had my engine go kaputt on my mk 6!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Sorry I got majorly distracted by the price you can apparently pick this baby up for in the states.

The problem sounds serious but I've never heard of it before.  Got any stats on how often this is happening?  If it is 1 in 10,000 then so what?  Get the extended warranty and you're fine.  If its 1 in 10 then that is a big problem for VW.

Offline DevonK

• Not said much yet
So its a deal breaker that a problem with a mk 6 will stop you getting a mk7
FYI, that is the whole point of the post - to find out if the Mk 7 has addressed the issue. You may feel fine assuming VW has, I'm definitely not.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
^FYI, that is the whole point of the post - to find out if the Mk 7 has addressed the issue. You may feel fine assuming VW has, I'm definitely not.

Not seen any statements from VW that the problem exists or that its rectified, but I wasn't looking for them either.  Presumably its too early to know for sure as few cars will have done 30k miles given that (for us at least) most only exist on a computer and haven't been built yet.  I know they've had them for longer in Europe, but still 30k miles is a lot to have done in a year and I'm not sure they've even had them for a year yet... further if they have got cars on 30k already that would most likely be 99% motorway miles and not throwing it enthusiastically around corners.

tl;dr: I don't know.

Offline DevonK

• Not said much yet
The problem sounds serious but I've never heard of it before.  Got any stats on how often this is happening?  If it is 1 in 10,000 then so what?  Get the extended warranty and you're fine.  If its 1 in 10 then that is a big problem for VW.
Well the problem itself (oil pressure drop) is either going to happen in every car or no car because it's straightforward physics given the engine/oil system design and a given lateral G load. In no way is 10 psi oil pressure adequate - damage is going to occur, how long it takes is the question which will obviously depend on how the car's driven. No performance-oriented car should have this kind of blatant weakness in its design.

Offline DevonK

• Not said much yet
^FYI, that is the whole point of the post - to find out if the Mk 7 has addressed the issue. You may feel fine assuming VW has, I'm definitely not.

Not seen any statements from VW that the problem exists or that its rectified, but I wasn't looking for them either.  Presumably its too early to know for sure as few cars will have done 30k miles given that (for us at least) most only exist on a computer and haven't been built yet.  I know they've had them for longer in Europe, but still 30k miles is a lot to have done in a year and I'm not sure they've even had them for a year yet... further if they have got cars on 30k already that would most likely be 99% motorway miles and not throwing it enthusiastically around corners.

tl;dr: I don't know.
Thanks for the response.

Everyone should have a look at APR's explanation of the problem (complete with data) here.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
So its a deal breaker that a problem with a mk 6 will stop you getting a mk7
FYI, that is the whole point of the post - to find out if the Mk 7 has addressed the issue. You may feel fine assuming VW has, I'm definitely not.

Or, I could assume that having owned a mk 6 and having never ever heard of that problem in the time I owned one/reading about VW's prior/during & since, that a random post on an American website wouldn't put me off buying a completely revamped version of the Golf ie the mk 7.  :rolleyes:

Sorry, don't mean to be sarcy but even if there was a problem (which there clearly isn't IMO) you're covered by the warranty anyway.  But personally I really don't see it as an issue - especially not to stop you buying one.  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
One thing about APR, they are trying to sell their product.  Not saying the issue doesn't exist, but they do have a vested interest in making as big a deal of it as they can (and obviously VW have the reverse interest).

Offline matchboy

• I live here
One thing about APR, they are trying to sell their product.  Not saying the issue doesn't exist, but they do have a vested interest in making as big a deal of it as they can (and obviously VW have the reverse interest).

Good point Bear.
Audi RS5 2018