Author Topic: Rear View Camera Order Delay  (Read 15659 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Rear View Camera Order Delay
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2013, 10:51 »
I don't really see the need for a rear camera as IMO it's just a gimmick. What do you really need it for?

Most folk think that but order it as its cheap and as a gimmick. It beats the parking sensors by miles and is the only option I miss on my current car. It will certainly be the first option I add when I come back to VW even if it does delay the order by several weeks.
It's anything but a gimmick.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2013, 11:03 »
I don't really see the need for a rear camera as IMO it's just a gimmick. What do you really need it for?

Oh I dunno', parking convenience maybe?!  Plenty of things are gimmicky, standard or otherwise.  My mate thought parking sensors were a gimmick until he got a car with them.  He also throught cruise was a bit of a gimmick until he realised he easy it made motorway driving and otherwise sticking to speed limits in average speed checks.

Nice to know they are looking after their existing customer orders on this one, was the first thing I specced.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2013, 13:23 »

Oh I dunno', parking convenience maybe?!  Plenty of things are gimmicky, standard or otherwise.  My mate thought parking sensors were a gimmick until he got a car with them.  He also throught cruise was a bit of a gimmick until he realised he easy it made motorway driving and otherwise sticking to speed limits in average speed checks.

Nice to know they are looking after their existing customer orders on this one, was the first thing I specced.

Parking convenience? Is that not what the parking sensors are for?

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2013, 13:29 »

This, those average speed checks are a nightmare without cruise.  There was a 20 mile stretch near south of Durham on the A1 that I had to sit on twice a week last year, it drove me mad (no pun intended).

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2013, 13:54 »

Parking sensors will show you roughly, with a camera you can reverse to within a couple of mm quite safely.
Night and day.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2013, 13:57 »
I agree - had a rear view camera on all 3 of my Mk6 GTD's and is spec'd on me Mk7 GTD due for wk 34 build!
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2013, 16:29 »
I've spec'd it on mine and it's not being removed. it's a pain in the arse to retro fit and a lot more expensive than what your charged from factory so in my opinion it's a good buy. for those who think it's a waste, it's different to a car with parking sensors. sensors are good and work best with park assist but a camera just gives you a bit more view and room to manoeuvre.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline firefly125

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 29 June 2013, 20:20 »
I had the rear cam option on my mk 6 golf r and to be honest I found it a bit off putting ,park sensors and side mirrors is all you need to park prettily , defo a gimmick in my opinion , a reasonable price tho

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2013, 11:02 »

OK Mr Pedantic, "added parking convenience"... 

Having driven a car with a reverse camera, I found it extremely useful to be ble to see behind not only for anything in the way that sensors might miss, but also for lining up the car and not having to look over my shoulder as much.

Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2013, 13:44 »

OK Mr Pedantic, "added parking convenience"... 

Having driven a car with a reverse camera, I found it extremely useful to be ble to see behind not only for anything in the way that sensors might miss, but also for lining up the car and not having to look over my shoulder as much.

It's still just a gimmick to impress your mates with  :wink: