Author Topic: Honest "real-world" mpg predictions for the GTI & GTI PP  (Read 21698 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Honest "real-world" mpg predictions for the GTI & GTI PP
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2013, 00:03 »
Not that bothered personally but I know some of you are.

38.1 long term after 4k.

Cheers fella. That's music to my ears that is. My current Scirocco's lifetime average is 37.7 mpg. So, the prospect of similar mpg but with way more horses is encouraging.

Ooh wait at min, your's is a manual and mine will be DSG... So I can't expect 38 mpg then can I :cry:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2013, 00:13 »
Depends a lot how you drive it though.  GolfTi might be doing more around town than you.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2013, 00:18 »
Just done a 1500 mile round trip to Berlin, 4 people, full of luggage and packed roof box.
High speed too. (Apart from the 2 hr Autobahn closure when the Germans came over to talk to me about the GTI).
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2013, 00:24 »
Just done a 1500 mile round trip to Berlin, 4 people, full of luggage and packed roof box.
High speed too. (Apart from the 2 hr Autobahn closure when the Germans came over to talk to me about the GTI).

Bodes well for us DSGers, i'm not overly fussy but equally it does matter to me that i'm getting the best from the car when required ie on long motorway journeys, i've said before if i get simlar mpg from the mk7 dsg that i do from my manual mk6 i'll be very happy taking into account the start/stop etc.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2013, 08:34 »
Bodes well for us DSGers, i'm not overly fussy but equally it does matter to me that i'm getting the best from the car when required ie on long motorway journeys, i've said before if i get simlar mpg from the mk7 dsg that i do from my manual mk6 i'll be very happy taking into account the start/stop etc.

Stop start depends a lot on how long you stop and for how long. Audi brochures claim up to 3% saving (presumably for worst case city driving). If the stop-start is coming on a lot for you, you'll not really be in a position to be getting great mpg anyway. It annoys the hell out of my dad, and will probably do the same for me. If I can permanently switch it off with VCDS then I will, rather than remembering to switch it off every journey. It can never anticipate whether you are literally going to be stopped for 2 - 10 seconds, or 1 minute, and when it cuts out when you are literally about to move off again, then it is annoying.

If you expect 40mpg with a manual and 36mpg on a DSG driving reasonably economically most of the time then you'll not be disappointed. You can see from the CO2 values that the DSG will be 10% thirstier than the manual.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2013, 09:31 »

Stop start depends a lot on how long you stop and for how long. Audi brochures claim up to 3% saving (presumably for worst case city driving). If the stop-start is coming on a lot for you, you'll not really be in a position to be getting great mpg anyway. It annoys the hell out of my dad, and will probably do the same for me. If I can permanently switch it off with VCDS then I will, rather than remembering to switch it off every journey. It can never anticipate whether you are literally going to be stopped for 2 - 10 seconds, or 1 minute, and when it cuts out when you are literally about to move off again, then it is annoying.

If you expect 40mpg with a manual and 36mpg on a DSG driving reasonably economically most of the time then you'll not be disappointed. You can see from the CO2 values that the DSG will be 10% thirstier than the manual.

as far as im aware it can be turned off permanently via a menu on the touch screen. Personally im gonna try it out but pretty sure i'll be turning it off after a few days
MK7 Golf GTI Performance, 3 Door, Manual, DBP, Dynaudio, Service Pack

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2013, 09:39 »
Just got to judge how long your going to be stopped for. If you get stopped behind a car but can see that the traffic in front is moving on then just keep your foot on the clutch. It's no big deal really.

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2013, 10:06 »
My only previous experience with stop/start has been in a Ford.  As CraigW said- if you see traffic starting to move don't let the engine stop.  It only stops when you put the gear in neutral and take your foot off the clutch.  As soon as you press the clutch the car starts again.  Never had a problem with it.  Don't know how DSG works though...
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2013, 11:10 »

It's true that the DSG is more thirsty than the manual but the mk7 figures for both are around 10% better than the mk6 which is why i'm hoping they'll cancel each other out if that makes sense??
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2013, 12:12 »
Last Sunday I took a very leisurely spin in mine, Sunday driving style, rural roads, mostly 45-60mph in 6th gear. Over 100 miles I averaged 43.5mpg. Pretty decent.

That figure drops considerably once I hit stop/start traffic or I drive the car like it should be driven  :smiley:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.