Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2828684 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2220 on: 24 May 2015, 11:31 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2221 on: 24 May 2015, 11:31 »
They are both wonky but in different ways. Will never be perfect perfect but will be better than when car was fresh from the factory. Mk7 build is very variable IMO.
Hmm, wonder what mine will be like? :undecided:  Watch this space.....

I hope they will be fine.

If they are not fine, wait a few weeks after you have driven the car for all the panels to settle as things do move around a bit and then rehang the doors. It requires infinitesimal movements of the latch and do it on level ground so that your line of sight is not affected by the car being at an angle. The problem is usually with the front doors.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 10:12 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2222 on: 24 May 2015, 11:36 »
They are both wonky but in different ways. Will never be perfect perfect but will be better than when car was fresh from the factory. Mk7 build is very variable IMO.
Hmm, wonder what mine will be like? :undecided:  Watch this space.....

I hope they will be fine.

If they are not fine, wait a few weeks after you have driven the car for all the panels settle as things do move around a bit and then rehang the doors. It requires infinitesimal movements of the latch and do it on level ground so that your line of sight is not affected by the car being at an angle. The problem is usually with the front doors.

Finger's crossed it won't be necessary, but many thanks for the advice Asker  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2223 on: 24 May 2015, 14:14 »
I cleaned my GTD for the very last time today. I thought the last time I cleaned it would have been the last time, but all these waits for the R and attention from the local seagull population made it a necessity.

I also cleared out everything but the handbook and ipod lead, and swapped out the rubber mats with the cloth ones that came with my dad's car (I gave him my factory fresh ones last time he was over). The rubber mats are  holding up surprisingly well for 21 months old, the RHS one is a little thin under the clutch pedal (not enough to replace), but the LHS one looks new. The 6 month old coat of G-Techniq C2V3 is still holding up very well for beading too.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2224 on: 24 May 2015, 17:37 »
Matt,

You must feel like Pontius Pilate performing his hand wash just before the crucifixion! :evil:

Have you had a peak at your new R yet?

Hope it all turns out without incidence on collection day; which is when?

Congratulations in advance. What a ridiculous wait it has been for you. Let's hope your car comes with tyres other than Bridgestones.

Asker

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2225 on: 24 May 2015, 18:39 »
Matt,

You must feel like Pontius Pilate performing his hand wash just before the crucifixion! :evil:

Have you had a peak at your new R yet?

Hope it all turns out without incidence on collection day; which is when?

Congratulations in advance. What a ridiculous wait it has been for you. Let's hope your car comes with tyres other than Bridgestones.

Asker

A peek at the R? Not yet, but at this stage, as far as i'm aware i'd be doing it through binoculars from the wrong side of the fence of the Port of Tyne compound (I assume it has passed through customs now though - usually only takes 24 hours). That would be a possibility as I live only about a mile from the Port of Tyne compound, but i'd feel a bit of a stalker!  :grin:

I haven't heard that it has been transported to the dealership yet, and the dealership don't usually get advanced warning that a transporter is coming - it just turns up unannounced within normal office hours so that someone is there to supervise offloading. I haven't even had my stage 6 notification, even though the ship arrived with it on Thursday lunchtime.

I'm guessing Weds for my pick-up, although my salesman may be off that day - so that may not happen. He works the weekend almost always (and then takes Monday and Tuesday off. This being a bank holiday weekend, perhaps he will be working tomorrow and be off Tuesday and Wednesday. 8 months today since my order was accepted by the factory. Just found my V5 for the GTD after some mild panic - it had fallen down the back of the drawers of our sideboard.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2226 on: 24 May 2015, 19:35 »
Onwards and upwards it is for you.

I was given a Reg No the minute my car arrived in Sheerness. And what a fab no it is. Most people think I have purchased it. One of those numbers one can never forget. Nice parting gift from my Fleet Sales Manager. He's now left West London VW to pursue a career in the music industry and be a house husband. Terrific chap. Will miss him as do all his colleagues at the dealership.

Check that your doors hang properly and the front grille is centralised. Also, check your driver's side wiper does not judder. It is due to a twisted wiper arm. The wipers on the latest Rs (post BW45 '14) are superb so no need to get the Bosch ones.

Lastly, hope your car does not come with Bridgestones.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2227 on: 25 May 2015, 15:15 »
Have you taken your bulbs out Matt? Can you check your rear wiper and see if it's started to discolour. The cap and arm on mine have faded really badly.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2228 on: 25 May 2015, 16:04 »
Have you taken your bulbs out Matt? Can you check your rear wiper and see if it's started to discolour. The cap and arm on mine have faded really badly.

I'll take a look at the arms. I'm going to leave the bulbs in - they've lasted longer than many people's have who've swapped and they'll probably pop a few days after the swap knowing my luck!  :grin:

If my wiper hasn't faded, are you wanting to swap it out with yours?

Anything else you want to swap out Chris? Have you kerbed a wheel perhaps? mine are still all scrape-free.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2229 on: 25 May 2015, 16:06 »
Everything's fine apart from the wiper cap etc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.