Author Topic: Best Winter Tyres for GTD 18" or change to 17"s - comments/ experience anyone?  (Read 10463 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
If you prefer style over substance then that's up to you  :grin: :wink:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
I have pleaded the case for smaller wheels and narrower tyres and yes I very much value substance over style when winter is considered and no laughing matter with amount of miles I do I.e. 25k plus per annum mostly business miles. I await reply from company car supplier on winter policy and a chance they may go with my suggestion from what I have been told initially. Await a call back next couple of weeks to tell me what I should do.

Suggested they don't hang around now, as November onwards is normally anyone's guess regarding the weather.
 :whistle: :undecided:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline phope

• I live here
I would have thought as long as it was one of the recommended tyre sizes in the manual, then there would be no hassle
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Smaller wheels have the obvious advantage of having taller tyres - so if you do handbrake turns you only clip the tyre on kerb :D

Narrow tyres are better in deep snow though and tall tyres are softer if you driving on sh!te road where you can't see potholes or have serious ice ridges (latter applies to studded tyres - normal ones you tend to fly off ;) ).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Lol, re sh!te roads and potholes! That'll be most roads I go on in winter then!

The thing about a company car, not a lease car, is it is bound with policy, rules and regs and if you don't do things as you are required to it is a disciplinary issue with your work, so just keeping a clean sheet by awaiting an official response to my request, frustrating as it may be waiting.

At least if I get my way, it'll save me forking out for new wheels and tyres for my X5 which will not be popular with wife before Xmas I'm sure! Don't fancy doing lots of miles in it as only does 27 mpg at best these days!

Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
I got a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, hopefully will be an improvement over the standard tyres.
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline baser

• Just got here
Picked up a cheap set of 18" RS4 replicas and a set of EcoSnow tyres as I visit Germany every month and you have to have winter tyres!

225/40/18's worked fine in the little snow and ice northern Europe faced last year.