Author Topic: Map not available in AID  (Read 2349 times)

Offline goldenboy94

• Just got here
Map not available in AID
« on: 11 February 2021, 23:26 »
Hi all, first post.

I have recently bought a 67 plate Golf GTI. Really happy with the car overall but one little niggle I can't work out is why I cannot display the sat nav map in the Active Info Display. The button is there on the touch screen but it's greyed out. I have tried playing with every setting to get it working with no luck, I tried pressing and holding the on/off button to reset the headunit but that didn't get it working and I have reset the unit back to factory settings and that also did not get it working for me. A work colleague has a 17 plate GTI and his works perfectly, we have checked the SD cards and they are the same version, we even swapped the SD cards over and that did not get it working either so now I'm at a bit of a loss.

I did give the forum a search first but could only find one other thread where the same issue was raised and the OP never put what the outcome was and that was posted about a year ago. Has anyone experienced the same issue and how did you get it resolved?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Map not available in AID
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2021, 23:44 »
Just a hunch but have you scrolled through to maps view on the active info display using the toggle on the steering wheel prior to trying to move the map view across?
7.5 GTD

Offline goldenboy94

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2021, 23:52 »
Yes so if I scroll across to the 'Navigation' tab on the AID when there is no destination set it just gives me the compass and when there is a destination set it will give me the arrows and turn by turn directions in there. There is no menu on there for me to select with the up and down arrows like there is in other tabs on the AID.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2021, 00:09 »
If resetting the MIB unit makes no difference then this suggests to me there is something wrong with the connection between the MIB and the AID or with the AID itself.

Lower spec Golf's (e.g. GT / R Line) come with the same nav unit as yours but no AID (old fashioned dials). They will have the same greyed out button you are experiencing as they have no suitable AID to flip the map view across to.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2021, 09:56 »
It should work, clearly you have seen the way it works on your friend's GTI too.

Your car is newer than his, so definitely not something they added later either.

Sounds like a fault, take it to a main dealer...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline goldenboy94

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2021, 17:03 »
Yes I thought as much. Thanks for your replies, I'll get it booked in to be looked at and report back once it's sorted.

Offline goldenboy94

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2021, 09:32 »
Just wanted to let you all know I booked in at the dealers and got this sorted. Guzzle was absolutely right, they said it was a cable that had come out at the back of the headunit which was preventing the maps being sent to the AID. Plugged back in and got a software update too and all works perfectly now.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2021, 09:35 »
Good to hear you got it sorted. Hopefully they pushed the cable back in nice and securely. 👍
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2021, 11:14 »
Good result!

Always nice to hear someone getting something 100% resolved!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline huddo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2021, 18:47 »
I’ve had my 20 plate TCR since October and only needed to use the sat nav this Saturday to go up to Yorkshire for a much needed holiday with my wife, anyhow went to display map on active display only to find I can’t as my map button is greyed out. Wonder if I’ve got the same problem as OP ?
2020 Pure Grey Mk7.5 GTI TCR