Author Topic: GTi Guy - Fjord Blue Mk3 8v  (Read 12257 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
GTi Guy - Fjord Blue Mk3 8v
« on: 08 January 2008, 14:33 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: GTi Guy - Fjord Blue Mk3 8v
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2008, 01:12 »
cheers jv

right...

got my mk3 back in oct 2006 when i swopped it for my 150k+ vauxhall calibra... a relation was trading in for a merc and was going to get a minimum trade in price and the calibra was getting tatty so it was a no brainer

I started driving in 1991 in a mk1 which i loved and always regretted letting go so it was like going back to my roots!

i don't have any pictures of the original state of the golf... it was ok but needed some tlc. it had done 74k and given a good wash came up quite nice.

had to sort out audio first off... so popped in an Alpine 9847R which I picked up cheep from a mate and an Alpine KCA-420i for the iPod... then fitted Rainbow components in the front and standard Rainbow speakers in the rear... together with dynamatting the doors... so at least the sounds were bearable... haven't moved the aerial yet... this is still under debate

in the early part of 2007 I started my cleaning obsession and began to detail my car... i had no plans to mod it at all. wanted it spotless and there were a few paintwork defects which i wanted to try and sort out (more on this later)

so the first thing to change were the wheels... purely by chance when i was having some new rubber feet put on i came across a set of standard mk4 mags and they were a lot tidier so i put the tyres onto them, the newer alloys needed spacers on the rear wheels but as soon as that was sorted the car started to look a bit neater - I have kept the originals to be refurbished at some point for winter wheels

new wheel badges, front and rear VW badges and a grille badge made things a lot tidier... the side skirt covers had been removed at some point, probably due to rust, so I replaced them... then realised that I wasn't getting anywhere with the bumpers - the usual 'my bumper is grey' problem!

so... clawed about on the internet and found this forum  :grin: where someone mentioned kiwi boot polish... a bit of that and then some autoglym bumper snot and I was a happy bunny!

this is the car at the end of July 2007

so anyway.. i was finding a problem which was becoming a PITA... every time I used AG bumper snot and washed my car all the bubbles would be wrecked and washing the car would be very difficult... I searched about a bit more and came across car washing advice and started using meguiars products and the two bucket method... this I have stuck to religiously ever since...

i have spent a fortune on megs products (and now other branded car cleaning products) and this has totally transformed the look of the car... it was about this time that I clayed the car for the first time and then was spending days on each different section of the car... i thought nothing of spending an entire morning or evening cleaning the inside of the boot or a door... obsessive, yes, but I knew the car was capable of coming up trumps. finding things like detailing sprays, decent pet hair removal brushes etc made life so much easier.

by this point was spending more and more time on the golfgtiforum and was learning more and more from being a relative newbie/late starter... i had been totally knocked away by the friendly welcome and advice on here... pat yourselves on the back! :afro:

started getting itchy feet on the mod front by this point... first thing that I wanted to change were the lights... the orange indicator covers were beginning to do my head in... so crystal repeaters went in along with some crystal front indicators and crystal dummy fogs (the crystal front indicators have proven to be a bad buy and I am looking for some better quality ones)

October 2007

so now I reached a small crossroads...  do i continue or leave as nearly standard.. decided on making subtle mods that won't show too much

had had the car for about a year... serviced and put new dizzy cap and HT leads on... nice and responsive again... flew through MOT even though the rear bushes are totally knackered...   :shocked:

popped mk4 stylee aero wipers on - they are brilliant and will recommend them to anyone... have made the wiper arms look a bit proud though so will need to sort that out?  :undecided:

did some hunting about late november and found some 16" BBS RX II's... they aren't in the best state and need a little bit of a refub

had to clean them up a bit to see what state they were in...

turned out nice again... will probably get the rims polished and keep the centres OEM

about this time I also fitted K&N too... haven't noticed much difference tbh... although I haven't unplugged the other end yet!  :wink:
« Last Edit: 12 April 2008, 20:16 by GTi Guy »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2008, 01:26 »
PAINTWORK CORRECTION

some of you will have already seen the Karlsson Collins thread in the cosmetic section... if you haven't I suggest you check it out...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=73325.0

mainly because I am not writing all of that again!!

however in short... spent a very worthwhile day with Mark from Karlsson Collins... he taught me to handle my polisher and we got the car from a paint stick covered, swirled mess to somewhere approaching decent...

some pics...

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

paint stick was removed from this original spot:

after thinners showing evidence of abrasive cleaning methods:

after cutting and polishing:

remember this little blighter right in the middle of a door panel?:

now look!!: (my favourite picture!)

wet sanded area:

general shots:

The paintwork correction isn't finished yet but will keep working on it and updating this thread...

On Jan 2nd - 5 days after this was done - some lass hit me and knackered my front bumper... gutted is not the word... more paintwork correction to get sorted... need a new bumper cover and spraying though so at least it will be as good again!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2008, 01:48 »
JANUARY 2008

MECHANICAL/COSMETIC

so as we can see from this photo

P1000771 by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

the old girl is looking scared of the ground!

the bank balance has taken a hammering this month and I have ordered the following:

powerflex rear bushes
twin round 80mm jetex SS exhaust connecting from CAT/downpipe
koni 1150 coilovers

have to say it's a damn shame the coilies will be hidden as they look stunning

AUDIO

have got itchy with the sounds again... have currently on order...

Alpine iDA-X001
JL 12" sub & stealthbox
JL amp to power all speakers and sub

OTHER

hopefully in the near future the front bumper will be sorted too
also need to get front windscreen replaced
looking at getting hella clear front lights... everywhere seems to be out of stock though

it's quite an exciting month for me as it kicks off 2008 with some major changes... although hopefully they shouldn't impact on the look of the car too much....
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 21:07 by Guy »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2008, 21:04 »
okies...

COSMETIC

haven't had a moment to continue the polishing process or re-wax...  :embarassed: but it is still beading like crazy!  :grin:

MECHANICAL

SUSPENSION

koni's are now on together with powerflex bushes, front and rear top mounts and while we were there replaced knackered brake hoses!

finally got round to taking some decent pics today so you can see the difference in the ride height

before:

after:

apart from the ride height... have to say that the ride and response difference is remarkable, the car goes where you point it and you realise how much you slid around corners and roundabouts before... and having new bushes is just heaven... no more *BANG* when you go over a small pothole or tiny pebble! the ride is firm but also forgiving and you can just feel how much more connection you have with the road - it is a completely different car!  :grin:

I haven't slammed the car as such as I have plenty speed bumps on way to work, I want to let the suspension settle over the next few weeks and I have a new set of 16" rims going on in the spring... might slam it for shows though!!  :wink:

EXHAUST

Jetex is now on... it is a very good fit and well made too... the middle muffler sits slightly proud of the rear axle so if anything is going to scrape then it will be that... produces just the right note... quiet but a bit grumbly unless you give it beans and then it tells you who is boss...  pleased I didn't go for the sports version now...

looks the biz too!

this shows the muffler sitting proud towards the centre of the vehicle

AND...

today i finally did the most important mod of all... added the golfgti.co.uk stickers!  :grin:

I swear they do add at least 10bhp!  :wink:

« Last Edit: 12 April 2008, 20:12 by GTi Guy »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2008, 01:19 »
COSMETIC

Had the car back from ye olde bodyshoppe this week, with front bumper replaced following on from where someone hit me in Jan...  decided to give the car a long overdue wash/polish/wax - used the megs polisher on the bonnet to see if I could cut any more of the swirls out... seems to be coming along...

Fitted new number plates and surrounds too.

Used Collinite 945 and collinite concourse wax on the body and roof and Jetseal 109 and chemical guys 50/50 wax on the bonnet - will see what the difference is over the coming weeks. The chemical guys 50/50 was a lot easier to work and remove than the collinite.  Both produce a lovely shine though...

EXHAUST

Polished up the Jetex using Belgom Alu - Have to say that it is very good... tip - don't polish your exhaust  'tips' by holding the cloth over the ends and pulling down from side to side... imparts swirls  :wink:

Also recorded the exhaust note for another thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTchiqil_WY

AUDIO

Dynamatted the boot in preparation for sub install

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2008, 20:21 »
COSMETIC

new lights arrived - ordered them from Thames Valley Electro Diesel as they seemed to be the only company in the country who had a clue when it comes to Hella Lights. They arrived from Germany three days after ordering... good service!

fitting them was a very straightforward job but would recommend a 8mm (from memory) socket wrench to undo the old lights as not all the sockets are easily accessible.

before:

old lights had condensation in them

all lights removed and front indicators and dummy fogs removed too...

couldn't resist a bit of detailing at this point  :smiley:

fitting complete...

and finally - on at night...

haven't aligned them properly yet but took them out for a spin tonight and didn't seem to blind anyone and no-one flashed me!

I know the twin angels aren't everyone's favourite and they are becoming popular with the chavs... but i like them and they are staying for the time being... if nothing else the light produced from them is 10x better than the original lights so at least I can see where I am going!  :cool:
« Last Edit: 16 February 2008, 20:33 by GTi Guy »

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2012, 21:49 »
Lets update this then!