Author Topic: Golf 7-5 V. Golf 8 cost cutting  (Read 10706 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Golf 7-5 V. Golf 8 cost cutting
« Reply #40 on: 22 July 2020, 19:34 »
And at the same time, Ford have been steadily improving quality.

And price, Ford have been increasing price.... the Focus used to be the cheap family sized car  vs the Golf or others.

Its not longer cheap, its virtually the same price.

TBH the daft thing is that VAG have multiple brands, all with price points. The cheap Golf is a Skoda or a SEAT. The expensive Golf is an Audi.

I read somewhere the other day (not sure where) that the new focus interior was slightly better than the Mk8. Obviously that’s an opinion but I nearly spat out my drink.

It was in a recent Auto Express review. And they were wrong. Golf 8 still comfortably beats the latest Focus for interior quality in my view.

At the end of last year I saw a cheap lease offer for a diesel Focus ST. It was so temptingly cheap I went down to my local Ford dealer for a closer look. I was so disappointed by the interior quality I didn't even follow up the cheap lease. Focus has plenty soft touch materials, but also lots of cheap scratchy ones. It's also not screwed together that well.
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 23 July 2020, 14:37 »
And at the same time, Ford have been steadily improving quality.

And price, Ford have been increasing price.... the Focus used to be the cheap family sized car  vs the Golf or others.

Its not longer cheap, its virtually the same price.

TBH the daft thing is that VAG have multiple brands, all with price points. The cheap Golf is a Skoda or a SEAT. The expensive Golf is an Audi.

I read somewhere the other day (not sure where) that the new focus interior was slightly better than the Mk8. Obviously that’s an opinion but I nearly spat out my drink.

It was in a recent Auto Express review. And they were wrong. Golf 8 still comfortably beats the latest Focus for interior quality in my view.

At the end of last year I saw a cheap lease offer for a diesel Focus ST. It was so temptingly cheap I went down to my local Ford dealer for a closer look. I was so disappointed by the interior quality I didn't even follow up the cheap lease. Focus has plenty soft touch materials, but also lots of cheap scratchy ones. It's also not screwed together that well.

Knew I’d read it somewhere. Was beginning to think I’d imagined it.

Good to hear your thoughts on the focus v Golf. Honestly I do wonder what some reviewers are talking about sometimes. One video I watched on YouTube claimed that the new golf wasn’t a very practical car. How??? It’s a golf!!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #42 on: 23 July 2020, 16:16 »
Sometimes its personal bias, sometimes its paid for bias, sometimes its just someone looking to write something controversial to get clicks....

Whatever it is, I've looked at the Focus and its still as nasty inside as any other Ford I've ever owned.

There are only 2 marques with any kind of quality interior on a hot hatch - Audi and BMW. The rest its degrees of meh. But you pay for that quality...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 06 August 2020, 19:55 »
Well, a month or so since I posted I've actually got a bit more first hand experience due to the usual "your PCP has x months left so come and buy another" call from the BMW dealer.
I've since had a sit in and a good prod around a Golf Style. Verdict? Perfectly fine to be honest - soft touch plastics in the right areas and the touch pads for example for raising and lowering the temperature on the climate control were literally 2 or 3 inches from your left hand when that hand is at 9 o'clock or so on the steering wheel. It was all a bit dull and grey and on the outside, other than the front, barely looked any different to a Mk 7, but all in all, it just felt like a Golf!!
I've also now driven an M135. Had a good 40 minute drive in that and I have to say that was a lovely car. Quick, sure footed and the interior was excellent. Miles ahead of the Golf. Yes there was £10k difference in price but if the GTi or R aren't any better inside they will be similar price and then you have a direct comparison.
I've seen nothing in my hunt for a replacement for the 330d yet. I think I'll keep it for the time being and have a look at the GTi when it comes out but I suspect I may stick with BMW now - the interiors on the latest models are superb.