Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 172461 times)

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #910 on: 11 July 2020, 22:22 »
What's the problem with the lower grille?

Mk6 GTi wore a huge black plastic grin and nobody batted an eyelid  :undecided:

Funny you say that, but I thought , “ oh god I don’t like that front”

In fact mk5 was last Golf GTI that I liked didn’t take to mk6 or mk7 or mk 7.5.

However as a retrospective I have developed a love of Clubsport (S) and latterly a TCR so thinking I could maybe love that new model ( not hopeful) and maybe buy. But normal GTI does not get much love from me for the lower grille.

Sorry

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #911 on: 11 July 2020, 22:49 »
Thirty four grand had better be inclusive of a load of kit including Dsg or BMW will slay them. Bet that's 34k for manual and two grand more for Dsg...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #912 on: 11 July 2020, 23:15 »
Thirty four grand had better be inclusive of a load of kit including Dsg or BMW will slay them. Bet that's 34k for manual and two grand more for Dsg...

Well £34k was my guess but I was assuming that was DSG model. Car Magazine was Estimating £33k for DSG model.

I totally forgot they were still doing a manual GTI. So should be cheaper price point normally £1500 cheaper roughly.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #913 on: 12 July 2020, 09:16 »
I've been looking at the photos in the latest CAR magazine now since yesterday morning and I can't bring myself to like it any more than when I first saw it. The front, the back and particularly those wheels  :cry:
« Last Edit: 12 July 2020, 09:39 by Juicetin »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #914 on: 12 July 2020, 10:42 »
What's the problem with the lower grille?

Mk6 GTi wore a huge black plastic grin and nobody batted an eyelid  :undecided:

Yes, the mk6 GTI (and GTD) did have a ‘smiley face’, but the lower grille wasn’t just a single slab of black plastic like the mk8 has, which I think is what gives the mk8 GTI that ‘wide mouthed‘, quite sad look. There’ll be those people that like the way the mk8 GTI looks and those that don’t, with some people undecided between the two extremes, and that will be the case with most cars as design divides opinion.

Back to the mk6 GTI front profile - the sections between the fog lights and the lower central grille were a gloss anthracite grey colour, and IMO those anthracite sections - along with the horizontal fins in the outer sections of the lower grill provided some necessary separation of the lower grille section into three segments which I thought worked well - it was quite subtle on the mk6 because of the use of grey and black. The mk7 took that design a stage further, with the area behind the horizontal fins being painted the same colour as the car, and again IMO that also worked well.

The above is just my opinion though and a car’s looks will always be subjective, as people are individuals so will have different likes and dislikes compared to others which I think is a good thing. These different likes and dislikes generate some interesting discussions and healthy debates on forums such as this which is also good.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #915 on: 12 July 2020, 16:47 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #916 on: 12 July 2020, 16:49 »
Auto express 1st July Golf v Focus v Seat (mid-range models)

Ford winner, Golf criticised for cabin quality and road noise
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #917 on: 12 July 2020, 18:24 »
Never trust Auto Express journalism

Let’s find out exactly how with this £23,515 Leon 1.5 TSI 130 FR model.

The 1.5-litre four-cylinder unit produces 148bhp

Nope, it's 128bhp.

“In some areas the Ford feels of a higher quality than the VW. But broadly speaking, the Focus is now on par with the Golf when it comes to the materials inside”

Not in my experience. No way is the Focus interior quality on a par with the Golf; even the Mk8. I'm not even sure it's on par with the Leon. It's a shame some people will read that nonsense and believe it's true.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2020, 18:38 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #918 on: 12 July 2020, 18:32 »

Well £34k was my guess but I was assuming that was DSG model. Car Magazine was Estimating £33k for DSG model.

I totally forgot they were still doing a manual GTI. So should be cheaper price point normally £1500 cheaper roughly.

Yep, based on what we know so far from Mk8 pricing, i'd expect a slight increase over Mk7.5 prices. Mk7.5 GTi Performance with DSG was a smidge over £33k list, so i'd expect somewhere between £33k and £34k list for a DSG model, and somewhere either just above or just below the £32k mark for a standard car with a manual gearbox. Obviously you can adjust up or down depending on any major differences to standard equipment levels.
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #919 on: 12 July 2020, 19:09 »
The above is just my opinion though and a car’s looks will always be subjective, as people are individuals so will have different likes and dislikes compared to others which I think is a good thing. These different likes and dislikes generate some interesting discussions and healthy debates on forums such as this which is also good.

Yep, it's a good thing we don't all have the same likes and dislikes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the Mk8 front end is pretty, but equally I don't find it offensive looking either. I would say most iterations of the Golf have had styling cues that not everyone likes, but in the end the cars always retain the essence of what makes the Golf so popular, and I don't think this one is any different.

Mk5 had a bulbous rear end, Mk6 had boring square tail lights, never really liked the look of the seats in the 7 & 7.5. But none of these things stopped them from being great cars.  :cool:
7.5 GTD